Funpoints Card Gone Wild

Monkeythyme

I had stopped using my Seamiles card a couple of years ago and switched back to my RCI Visa, but when I got the new Funpoints card, the deal looked really good, so I started using it. I cleaned out my old points contributing to Haitian relief, and the process was seamless. Oh boy, I thought, this is going to be cool. But all of a sudden, two days ago, their security division went Barney Fife on me. My card got declined at Kroger, and my auto-payment to my cell phone provider bounced. I have since talked to both customer service and fraud detection representatives at Barclay's, answered all the challenge questions, and they seemed satisfied, but now, when I go to the website to check my charges, everything since my last billing date is gone including the temporary authorizations. I just put the card in the safe and went back to my Visa. Apparently they are convinced my card has been stolen and nothing I say can change their minds.

If you have a Funpoints card, and don't mind telling, have you had any crazy experiences like this?

I had stopped using my Seamiles card a couple of years ago and switched back to my RCI Visa, but when I got the new Funpoints card, the deal looked really good, so I started using it. I cleaned out my old points contributing to Haitian relief, and the process was seamless. Oh boy, I thought, this is going to be cool. But all of a sudden, two days ago, their security division went Barney Fife on me. My card got declined at Kroger, and my auto-payment to my cell phone provider bounced. I have since talked to both customer service and fraud detection representatives at Barclay's, answered all the challenge questions, and they seemed satisfied, but now, when I go to the website to check my charges, everything since my last billing date is gone including the temporary authorizations. I just put the card in the safe and went back to my Visa. Apparently they are convinced my card has been stolen and nothing I say can change their minds.

If you have a Funpoints card, and don't mind telling, have you had any crazy experiences like this?

Usually when there is fraud (or even suspected fraud) they just cancel the current card and send you out a new one with a new account number. It shouldn't cause you to lose any points or anything. I'm sure the billing will show back up online once they issue your new card. It may take a few days or even a week or two for them to convert you over to the new numbers.

The other option could be that your card number was compromised somewhere. A merchant may have notified them your records were compromised and they are re-issuing your account under another number. Usually you get a letter to that effect, though.

I'm actually glad they are watching out for suspicious stuff, even though it's a PITA to you when it happens. My sister actually found out today her debit card had been compromised -the bank caught the fraudulent charges before she did, shut down the card, and called her to find out what charges were hers and what weren't. Thankfully they hadn't cleaned out her entire checking account before the bank realized it and caught the fraud.

Usually when there is fraud (or even suspected fraud) they just cancel the current card and send you out a new one with a new account number. It shouldn't cause you to lose any points or anything. I'm sure the billing will show back up online once they issue your new card. It may take a few days or even a week or two for them to convert you over to the new numbers.

The other option could be that your card number was compromised somewhere. A merchant may have notified them your records were compromised and they are re-issuing your account under another number. Usually you get a letter to that effect, though.

I'm actually glad they are watching out for suspicious stuff, even though it's a PITA to you when it happens. My sister actually found out today her debit card had been compromised -the bank caught the fraudulent charges before she did, shut down the card, and called her to find out what charges were hers and what weren't. Thankfully they hadn't cleaned out her entire checking account before the bank realized it and caught the fraud.

Funny that they would bounce charges that are repeats of what I have done repeatedly in the past. Maybe the ID thieves get hold of the history and copy the true owner's spending patterns. Don't know, I've never audited a bank's credit card section. You are right, though. It's a pain to carry a card that won' work.

I'd tell you but you seem suspicious and I think you are just trying to steal my identity so I'm keeping my mouth shut! :p

Smart move even if you are joking.

As if anyone cares, here's the latest. Current charges are back on the page, and there are no messages, alerts, or changes to the account, so I suppose it is just routine. I will just let it cool in the time-out box for a couple of weeks then try using it again. If I divide the points I have accrued by the minutes I have spent on the 800 line this week, I am getting about 10 points per minute. That's too much squeeze for too little juice.:D

Archived