Panama Canal

shoebiz

My wife and I will be sailing the Celebrity Infinity on November 7th thru the 21st and going thru the Panama canal. The itinery includes George Town, Grand Caymen, Cartagena, Columbia, Panama Canal, Puntarenas, Costa Rica, Acapulco, Mexico, Huatulco, Mexico and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

Does anyone have any information about the ship and the trip in general. I would also like to hire private tour guides and not use the ships program. Does anyone have private guides they would like to refer to me. Please tell me where they took you, the charges, and how to contact them.

Thanks for your information.

Shoebiz

I can tell you that in Punta Arenas you should take a ships tour. It seems there were alot of breakdowns and unsatisfaction with the private tours but all of the people I talked to that did a ship tour there were very pleased. I am sure not everyone is unhappy with the private tours but there were van breakdowns and delays when we went. They really liked the tour that also included the river cruise to see the crocs or alligators, (whatever they have there) and going up to the rain forrest. We did a private tour that was ok and we drove about 50 miles down the coast but the beaches are dirty, dirty, dirty so I would recommend getting away from the beach areas. Great shopping right at the pier and alot cheaper than any store they take you. The Infinity is a great ship and you will be very pleased. Can't think of one negative there. Check the ports board and there is lots of info there.

My wife and I will be sailing the Celebrity Infinity on November 7th thru the 21st and going thru the Panama canal. The itinery includes George Town, Grand Caymen, Cartagena, Columbia, Panama Canal, Puntarenas, Costa Rica, Acapulco, Mexico, Huatulco, Mexico and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

Does anyone have any information about the ship and the trip in general. I would also like to hire private tour guides and not use the ships program. Does anyone have private guides they would like to refer to me. Please tell me where they took you, the charges, and how to contact them.

Thanks for your information.

Shoebiz

Here are a few suggestions for you.

Go to the "Roll Call" portion of this board and find the thread for your cruise. Here is a link to that thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1001696 You should be able to find other people on your cruise interested in booking private tours.

There is also a "Ports of Call" section on this board. You can find out information about prior passengers experiences in the different ports. One private tour I was very impressed with on our Panama Canal cruise was with Rudy from Tour By Van in Acapulco, Mexico. Here is a link to a long thread about Tour By Van. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1037357

Finally, read some of the Cruise Critic reviews on the Infinity and her sister ships, Constellation, Summit and Millennium. You will certainly find reviews of Panama Canal cruises for the M class ships.

Hope this helps.

I can tell you about the ship. Here's what I posted on another thread asking about the Infinity:

The Infinity was a GREAT RIDE! The staff were the some of the nicest and friendliest we've experienced. From our Room Steward, to the Dining Staff - even the Head Waiter went waaaaay out of his way to do all kinds of special set-ups for us.

Our Rollcall Group (about 100 of us) was treated like Royalty by the Activities Director. I asked her if it would be ok for us to use the Sky Lounge for a "Post CC Party" and she took over voluntarily. She set it up, called all the members, sent out invitations, and had refreshments and the orchestra there. AMAZING!!

It was our best ever crusie because of all the special treatment we received - without asking for it or expecting it.

Hope This Gets You Going.... ;)

The Inifinity is a great ship - so much so that I leave on it this Friday for Alaska! My trip thru Panama was in November '08 with a slightly different itinerary. I used the ship's excursions but Iknow some people used the taxis at the ports and were OK. Expect COlumbia to be very hot and humid = to the point of discomfort. The rain forest in Costa Rica is a must - expect to see allot of poverty if you take the back roads through the mountains and coffee fields. We returned via an expressway and bypassed this.

We had a fabulous time in Puntarenas with Ricky Ricardo Tours. We did some sightseeing and then took a boat ride on the Tarcoles River. There were twelve of us in a new, air conditioned van, and eveyone was more than pleased. Highly recommended: rickyricardotours.com

Carla

Archived