Mendenhall Trails

runner5

Yukon I really enjoyed the pics on your blog. So if my wife and I want to walk around the beach type area in front of the glacier/falls like in your photo, which trail do we take? I seem to be confused on the Nugget Creek/Falls thing, and having never been before, I'm not sure what I'm looking at on the map.

Also, others have suggested taking the blue bus to Mendenhall. Am I right in assuming that we can then enjoy the visit at our leisure, or do we have to be back at a specific time? It sounds to me like the buses are constantly running, and I'm hoping we can just do our own thing...

Yukon I really enjoyed the pics on your blog. So if my wife and I want to walk around the beach type area in front of the glacier/falls like in your photo, which trail do we take? I seem to be confused on the Nugget Creek/Falls thing, and having never been before, I'm not sure what I'm looking at on the map.

Also, others have suggested taking the blue bus to Mendenhall. Am I right in assuming that we can then enjoy the visit at our leisure, or do we have to be back at a specific time? It sounds to me like the buses are constantly running, and I'm hoping we can just do our own thing...

When you get there, it will be clear where this it. From the visitor center, all you are going to do, is walk along the lake shoreline- to the right.

The new Nugget Falls trail (I have no idea what they're going to call it officially) does branch off from the Photo Point Trail (right near the start of that very short sidewalk/trail). The Nugget Creek Trail is long, has minimal views and doesn't go to the falls. It appears that the new trail is going to have a branch that will take you up to the Nugget Creek Trail but it's barely been started yet. Just keep "Nugget Falls" in mind - the "Creek" is what's confusing everyone.

First timer here, but from what I've read in my research and on the boards here---

--The Falls trail is NOT on the map, yeah, less people. (My opinion: Don't tell everybody you meet on your ship and the bus about it, or you will have a horde following you the whole way. Let them figure it out themselves, or stay with the tours that give you just about an hour there which cuts down on the numbers on the trails, too.:p)

---The advantage to the Blue buses is that they are simply shuttles, not tours. They run on a schedule and you pick one with seats available and jump on, follow your own timeline. Don't cut it close on your return time or you may get squeezed out by everyone else that is cutting it close, or has similar sailing off times.

First timer here, but from what I've read in my research and on the boards here---

--The Falls trail is NOT on the map, yeah, less people. (My opinion: Don't tell everybody you meet on your ship and the bus about it, or you will have a horde following you the whole way. Let them figure it out themselves, or stay with the tours that give you just about an hour there which cuts down on the numbers on the trails, too.:p)

---The advantage to the Blue buses is that they are simply shuttles, not tours. They run on a schedule and you pick one with seats available and jump on, follow your own timeline. Don't cut it close on your return time or you may get squeezed out by everyone else that is cutting it close, or has similar sailing off times.

Have you already done this? Your post makes little sense? This walk along the shore of the lake is hardly hidden, so not "telling" for less people? Where does that come in? Thousands of people visit Mendenhall every day.

Have you already done this? Your post makes little sense? This walk along the shore of the lake is hardly hidden, so not "telling" for less people? Where does that come in? Thousands of people visit Mendenhall every day.

BQ, you know I haven't went yet. I always preface any info. I share with that caveat. I have researched and read the Bee-Jeezus out of every tourbook and this board I can, which I am the first to remind does not replace experience.

From the postings of veterans, it has been noted that in the past the walk to the base of the falls was usually a more solitary experience than say, riding the train in Skagway. Now, with the trail work being done the numbers are up, as noted by a favorite poster, and will grow when it is "completed" and added to the trail map, I would surmise. It doesn't have to be hidden, just a road less traveled which can make all the difference, as aptly put by another I admire.

So, let my little fantasy live a bit longer that when I do get there, very soon in fact, that there will not be hordes and hordes of people. Just a few minutes of experiencing the beauty with other souls that have done their research or found it through serendipity; and that appreciate what they are looking at.

So, let my little fantasy live a bit longer that when I do get there, very soon in fact, that there will not be hordes and hordes of people. Just a few minutes of experiencing the beauty with other souls that have done their research or found it through serendipity; and that appreciate what they are looking at.

I just got back from the trail a few minutes ago. It's not open yet, and in fact part of it that was "open" a month ago is now closed so access is the old difficult way, but there were a LOT of people on it :(

A question for Yukon and other experts...I've seen a lot of excursions where you hike to the glacier and spend an hour or so actually on the glacier. Is there a trail or option here that would allow us to do the same thing? Most of the excursions are $189, but if we can take the blue bus and accomplish the same thing I'd obviously rather do that...

BQ, you know I haven't went yet. I always preface any info. I share with that caveat. I have researched and read the Bee-Jeezus out of every tourbook and this board I can, which I am the first to remind does not replace experience.

From the postings of veterans, it has been noted that in the past the walk to the base of the falls was usually a more solitary experience than say, riding the train in Skagway. Now, with the trail work being done the numbers are up, as noted by a favorite poster, and will grow when it is "completed" and added to the trail map, I would surmise. It doesn't have to be hidden, just a road less traveled which can make all the difference, as aptly put by another I admire.

Sorry, your logic is flawed. EVERYONE, goes out to the glacier viewings, which is in CLEAR view of anyone walking along the lake. It is a very busy place. There is nothing solitary about this trail.

A question for Yukon and other experts...I've seen a lot of excursions where you hike to the glacier and spend an hour or so actually on the glacier. Is there a trail or option here that would allow us to do the same thing? Most of the excursions are $189, but if we can take the blue bus and accomplish the same thing I'd obviously rather do that...

The only way to get glacier access, is to fly in, or a several hour hike, which is best done guided, entering from the wast side. There is one vendor who has gotten, consistant rave reviews for their trekking tour.

Archived