From the port to Vasa

I have been monitoring the myriad of questions and replies regarding the HoHO boat which seems to go in a clockwise direction from the ST...port. This would be in the opposite direction of VASA. Anyone know if there is a ferry that goes in a counterclockwise direction or a direct ferry...Thank you in advance...

I have been monitoring the myriad of questions and replies regarding the HoHO boat which seems to go in a clockwise direction from the ST...port. This would be in the opposite direction of VASA. Anyone know if there is a ferry that goes in a counterclockwise direction or a direct ferry...Thank you in advance...

From my understanding the HoHo boat only goes from some ports. For instance, we are docking at Frihamen and I don't think the HoHo boat goes from there, but I might be wrong. I'm on information overload.

It looks like there are two options if we indeed dock at the listed dock...We can either walk to Slussen (15 minutes or so), catch a ferry (4-5 dollars pp)to VASA (400-500 meters away) or just catch a taxi for 25-30 dollars). If there are four of us, it seems like a no brainer to just take the taxi. We could then catch the ferry back to Slussen or taxi to Old Town...

Hi, we were there May 14 on Star Princess which anchored in Nynashamn due to fog. We took the train into Stockholm and a bus (49 I think) to Vasa. There is a HOHO boat dock directly behind the Vasa and a direct Ferry to/from Old town from the entertainment park about 10 min walk from Vasa. Ferry, bus and train all took the all day pass. Happy Travels

As you can see from the attached, some HOHO boats run in a counter-clockwise direction. The HOHO company has assured me that when a ship is in port, the boats will begin running earlier. Passengers from the recent cruises confirme that the boats ran earlier than posted, and some were in a counter-clockwise direction.

Julie

HOHO Timetable.pdf

Here is a HoHo map of Stockholm. It also shows boats running both clockwise and counter-clockwise.

The issue is how many boats are in the circulation?

Also, from what I read the HoHo boats are included in the price of the 24-hour Stockholm Card. Can anyone confirm?

And, Can the 24-hour Stockholm Card be purchased at the Stadsgården dock? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks !

HOHOMap.pdf

Here is a HoHo map of Stockholm. It also shows boats running both clockwise and counter-clockwise.

The issue is how many boats are in the circulation?

Also, from what I read the HoHo boats are included in the price of the 24-hour Stockholm Card. Can anyone confirm?

And, Can the 24-hour Stockholm Card be purchased at the Stadsgården dock? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks !

Yes, in the summer you can use the Stockholm Card to ride the HO HO ferry.

The Stockholm Tourist Office told me that I must get the card from the TI near the Opera House. I was hoping to get it at the Frieheim Dock where the Disney Magic will dock.

We emailed the HOHO boat people and they said there was not a counter-clockwise boat planned for this summer, but that doesn't mean they won't decide to run one. I think this is something that can't be counted but can be considered a possibility and something to look for when we get to the whichever dock we end up at. As we can see on the boards, sometimes the best laid plans can get messed up because of weather, strikes, etc.

We emailed the HOHO boat people and they said there was not a counter-clockwise boat planned for this summer, but that doesn't mean they won't decide to run one. I think this is something that can't be counted but can be considered a possibility and something to look for when we get to the whichever dock we end up at. As we can see on the boards, sometimes the best laid plans can get messed up because of weather, strikes, etc.

I spoke with at least 3 different people at Hop-On Hop-Off Stockholm, and they assured me that the boats run in both directions. In addition, the map on their website shows the boats going in both directions. Finally, I uploaded a HOHO timetable which was emailed to me from their offices in an earlier post, which clearly shows the times that the boats run, in both directions.

We've had independent confirmation from cruisers two weeks ago that the boats did indeed run in both directions.

I am planning on taking the HOHO boat in a counter-clockwise direction to the Vasa, but as usual, I will have a back up plan.

Julie

Yes, in the summer you can use the Stockholm Card to ride the HO HO ferry.

The Stockholm Tourist Office told me that I must get the card from the TI near the Opera House. I was hoping to get it at the Frieheim Dock where the Disney Magic will dock.

I believe the Stockholm card includes the Djurgarden ferry, not the HOHO boats. I would double-check with the vendor.

Julie

I believe the Stockholm card includes the Djurgarden ferry, not the HOHO boats. I would double-check with the vendor.

Julie

The Web site reports exactly the opposite:

The Stockholm Card:

•Free admission to 80 museums and attractions

•Free travel by public transport run by SL - Storstockholms Lokaltrafik (metro, buses, commuter trains and trams)

•Free trips on the Hop-On Hop-Off boat and free sightseeing by boat with the historical Canal Tour (summer)

•Free bicycle sightseeing in English (summer)

•Bonus offers - discounts on sightseeing tours with the bus companies Stockholm Panorama and Open Top Tours as well as discounts on boat trips to Drottningholm and the Royal Canal Tour

•The public transport ferry “Djurgårdsfärjan” between Slussen and Djurgården is not included. Single ferry tickets cost 40 kr for adults, 25 kr for children. Stockholm Card does entitles the holder to free rides on the Hop-on Hop-off boats (during the summer). They run to Djurgården island from both Slussen and Nybroviken.

Can be ordered online here:

http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Information/Buy--Order/The-Stockholm-card/

Julie

The reason there is some confusion about what is included in the "Stockholm Card" is that there are two separate cards that can be called so

One is the 24 hour transport card that costs 100 kronor and should be possible to buy at the info shops where cruise ships dock at Stadsgården and at Frihamnen. This card includes the regular ferry from Slussen to Djurgården (where Vasa museum and Skansen museum are located).

The other is the Stockholm card that includes not only public transport but also museums and some sightseeing. It costs 395 kronor and can be bought online or at the tourist center in Stockholm. Some hotels will also sell it. This card does NOT include the ferry from Slussen to Djurgården.

There is a direct ferry to Stockholm's version of Tivoli. From there it is a short walk to the Vasa. I can't remember the price, but it wasn't bad. We took a shuttle into town from the ship and then walked toward the water where we found the ferry. The Vasa is something you shouldn't miss.

Linda and Bob

The public transport ferry “Djurgårdsfärjan” between Slussen and Djurgården is not included with the Stockholm Card. It is included with the Transport only card, however.

Single ferry tickets on the public transport ferry cost 40 kr for adults, 25 kr for children if you are purchasing the Stockholm Card but want to ride the public transport ferry “Djurgårdsfärjan” between Slussen and Djurgården.

However, Stockholm Card does entitles the holder to free rides on the Hop-on Hop-off boats (during the summer). They also run to Djurgården island from both Slussen and Nybroviken.

See the Q and A about the Stockholm card here: http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Information/Buy--Order/The-Stockholm-card/Frequently-Asked-Questions/

From the Web page:

HOP-ON HOP-OFF BOAT SIGHTSEEING

The Stockholm Card offers you unlimited free trips on Hop-on Hop-off sightseeing by boat during the card’s validity period (30.4-26.9). Tour the sights in an easy, comfortable and fun way and experience Stockholm’s most classic and beautiful sightseeing boats. Onboard tours are in English and Swedish.

Stops along the way are:

A - Nybroplan: This is where you hop off for quick access to the shopping streets Hamngatan and Biblioteksgatan. Have a coffee in Sturegallerian or be amazed by the beautiful buildings along Strandvägen. Nybroplan is also right by Dramaten and the Army Museum.

B - Vasa museum: This stop is close to the Vasa museum and from here it’s not far to Junibacken – Sweden’s best museum for children. You’re also right next to the walkways on lush Djurgården and the lovely restaurants offering lunch, dinner or an ice cream in the sun. The entrance fee is included in your ticket.

C - Skeppsholmen: Lovely Skeppsholmen is the island where you will find three museums well worth a visit. This is the home of the Museum of Modern Art, The Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities and the Museum of Architecture. When at Skeppsholmen don’t miss the nice walk around Kastellholmen.

D - Djurgården: Hop off at Gröna Lund and hop on the roller coasters and attractions. You are right next to the under water world Aquaria and close to Skansen, the worlds oldest open air museum. This is also the closest stop for a walk out to Prins Eugens Waldemarsudde.

E - Cruise Berth/Viking Line: This is where many cruise ships visiting Stockholm are docked and also where the cruise ships to Finland depart.

F - Fotografiska: Best stop if you´re planning a short walk to/from your cruise ship docked at Stadsgårdshamnen.

G - Old Town: Stepping off here gives you the best access to the picturesque squares and alleys in the Old Town. Enjoy the many cafés, art galleries and old houses making this part of the city so special. This is also the closest stop if you plan to visit the island Södermalm.

H - The Royal Palace: This is where you’ll find the Royal Palace and the church Riddarkyrkan where many kings are buried. Be sure not to miss the parade of the guards, the Royal Appartments or the beautiful regalia at the Treasury.

TheGenie,

I asked for my set of Stockholm Cards to be mailed to me (including the free 200-page guide book), but you need to order them online at least 14 days before you leave to receive them in time. There is one 60 Kr mailing fee no matter how many cards you order, if you choose the mailing option. I bought them through the Stockholm Visitor's Bureau website: http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Information/Buy--Order/The-Stockholm-card/

-- MJ

TheGenie,

I asked for my set of Stockholm Cards to be mailed to me (including the free 200-page guide book), but you need to order them online at least 14 days before you leave to receive them in time. There is one 60 Kr mailing fee no matter how many cards you order, if you choose the mailing option. I bought them through the Stockholm Visitor's Bureau website: http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Information/Buy--Order/The-Stockholm-card/

-- MJ

Thanks, That is our plan too.

How much is the 24 hr. HOHO bus or HOHO boat ticket and how much is a single ride on the bus? Does anybody have a map of the public ferries?

The HoHo map is linked in my post #6 earler in this thread. This map shows the stops and the direction(s) of the boats. Post #5 shows a timetable between a few of the stops.

The Stockholm card, which includes the HoHo boats is 395 SEK for adults. It can be purchased online, or at any of the outlets listed on the web page linked below. As far as I can tell, it is not for sale at the STADSGÅRDEN dock. Some have speculated the 24-hour SL Public Transport Only Card (see below) may be available at STADSGÅRDEN dock? No locals or cruisers have confirmed the availability of either card at the STADSGÅRDEN dock. So, our plan is to purchase the Stockhom Card online about 3 - 4 weeks before sailing.

See the the Stockholm Visitor's Bureau website: http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Inf...tockholm-card/ for the Stockholm Card.

There is also a 24-hour SL Public Transport Only Card, and it can be used on SL [stockholm Transport] transportation, the public Djurgården Ferry from Slussen, and the tram to Djurgården. This card (no admissions, no HoHo), costs SEK 100 for adults and SEK 60 for kids.

Archived