airline flight cost??????

dksailaway

My wife and I are contemplating taking a Scandanavian cruise which involves flying back from Copenhagen.

I have heard that the flight from Copenhagen to Newark, New Jersey is exorbitant in price. Is this true?

We would need to fly Newark to Fort Lauderdale, then return from Copenhagen back to Newark.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

Dksailaway

My wife and I are contemplating taking a Scandanavian cruise which involves flying back from Copenhagen.

I have heard that the flight from Copenhagen to Newark, New Jersey is exorbitant in price. Is this true?

We would need to fly Newark to Fort Lauderdale, then return from Copenhagen back to Newark.

Dksailaway

Where does the ship departure? Is it a TA? (Transatlantic?)

Dksailaway

Quite difficult to answer, as you don't give your travel dates, not do you say what you think exorbitant is. Use this website to check your dates and cities and you can answer your own question:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego/multi;jsessionid=A8B730AB9B3ADB967DC0C4014EC83804

Dksailaway

"I've heard" and "is this true" imply you haven't been able to check prices on your own, such as through Expedia, Kayak, etc., and/or a travel agent, but I'm guessing that's not true (you obviously are Internet-savvy enough to register for this site). Is it because your trip is over a year away? When you look at the sites, try both one trip and also looking for two separate one-way tickets (some sites give different results with the two methods). You could also try it with two roundtrips (Newark-Ft. Lauderdale r.t., and Ft. Lauderdale-Copenhaven r.t.; more flying than you want but sometkimes roundtrips are cheaper). I gather you've already looked at flying out of/info any NYC airport, not just EWR (input NYC as your city for sites such as Expedia; airlines' own sites usually don't accept that). You don't give your dates, nor whether you're willing to add stops (e.g., Icelandic Air with a stop in Iceland). Bad news is the fares aren't likely to be cheap and the current trend is for fares to rise.

One way from Newark/JFK/LGA is relatively easy to FLL/MIA. Lots of airlines offer one way tickets to Florida from the NYC area.

Getting back from Copenhagen-you will have to look at IcelandAir (through Iceland), Aer Lingus (through Dublin), Air Berlin or some other combination to get TRUE one way pricing. Since you are on a repo TO Europe, I am going to assume you are going in the Spring, 2011. IcelandAir is currently pricing about $500pp for one way tickets to JFK in mid April with a stop in Iceland (free stopover-you can stay up to a week without impacting the ticket price). The other airlines are double that-$900pp and up

You are not eligible for open jaw pricing on this routing. Trying to book this as a multi city ticket prices it out as two one ways and possibly forcing you onto USA carriers due to the restrictions of foreign airlines flying the East Coast to Florida routes. You will pay more rather than booking with one of the European carriers that sell strictly one way tickets to/from Europe.

If it's cheaper, book a roundtrip flight from Copenhagen to Newark and just forget about the return flight. You aren't "supposed" to do this, but what are they going to do? Arrest you? :)

You aren't "supposed" to do this, but what are they going to do? Arrest you? :)

They don't arrest you. They can legally REFARE your ticket-make you pay for a one way ticket at the current price (which could be a WHOLE lot of money). Don't forget-the airline has your credit card number and you have violated the rules of a RT ticket.

Will the airline do this??? Unlikely, IF it is an occasional occurrence AND you don't add your FF number making it extremely easy for the airline to find you (which means you get NO miles). Airlines have very sophisticated computer systems which track unused ticket segments. Most airlines have a special dept set up just to track stuff like this. Re-fareing a ticket HAS happened. Not often and usually to habitual violators who are buying RT to avoid the high price of one way ticket or avoid fare rules restricting Saturday night stays, 30 day stays, etc. Used to be really a problem with drive away companies-rental cars, RV deliveries, semi truck deliveries, etc. etc.

Just an FYI

Archived