Mena House or Fairmont Nile City in Cairo?

momof2ky

We are planning our overnight trip to Cairo and are seeking your advice. We have decided to stay at either the brand new Fairmont Nile City ( which is rated #1 on Tripadvisor) or the Mena House. We do not want to do a Nile Dinner Cruise nor see the Light Show. So, if we stay out at the Mena House, will we be bored at night? Or would we be better off going to the Fairmont and maybe going out to dinner and taking a sunset felucca ride? Is the Mena House that cool of a hotel?

If it makes a difference, we want to see the pyramids at Giza (and go on a camel ride), The Red Pyramid and Bent Pyramid, the Museum, and the Bazaar. Any input would be great.

Take a look at the reviews and description of the Cario Marriott. It's a converted, renovated palace and is getting great reviews. If you are an Auto Club member or over 62 they give a nice discount. They are well situated across the Nile from the museum. We are touring Cairo the first day, going to the Khan El Khaili Bazaar that evening and figure there will be lots of great restaurants to choose from since we will be in the city. We will go out to the Pyramids on our second day.

Good luck with your planning!

Connie

I am staying at the mena HouseCairo in December.

Here is some info about it.http://www.oberoihotels.com/oberoi_menahouse/rooms_suites.asp

the tour company we are with is Scenic tours.

They have booked us a Garden pyramid view.

I have done some research on the net and have read some positive reviews about this hotel. Some of the things we will be doing while staying there include the Pyramids(of course) The funeral boat at the solar boat museum. I am also looking at doing a tour of Old Cairo and Coptic Cairo.

The Fairmont Nile should be nice especially if their Hotels in Canada are anything to go by.

Here is some info on the Fairmont

http://www.fairmont.com/nilecity

A very hard decision to make but whatever hotel you decide have a great holiday.

The Marriott looks great, but I really want to stay at the Mena House or the Fairmont NIle City. Has anyone stayed at the Fairmont? If so, was it convenient to walk to other things and was the food good? ALso, if you stayed the Mena House, what did you do at night if you didn't want to see the Light Show?

We enjoyed the Mena house. It is a beautiful elegant old hotel in its public rooms. The bedrooms are a bit dated, but still very nice. Be sure to get a "pyramid view" room for the extra price. You can actually watch the light show on the pyramids from your balcony. There is also a very nice dining room for a leisurely dinner.

The thing that was absolutely stunning to me was to get up early in the morning and watch the Great Pyramid slowly emerge from the growing dawn. Truly awe inspiring!

On another occasion we stayed in Cairo at the Nile Hilton. This was a western hotel like any other chain, perfectly fine but not "Egyptian"! The advantage was being able to get right to the Egyptian museum the second it opened, and head straight for the Mummy Room before the crowds got there.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/egyptacc.html for the Mena House, and also check the pyramid fields at Sakkara and Dashur and the Nile Hilton at http://www.bully4.us/holyland2.html.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We are going to Egypt in 3 weeks. We decided on the Mena House. It was between the Marriot Cairo and the Mena House. I was looking with something with a bit of history. I can let you know how the Mena House is when we get back.

Suggest that you goggle the area. All is close by. The only problem is the traffic. It takes a long time to go 1 k. If you want a great room sugget the Marriot, it was a sultans palace and has great art work. If you are lucky, you will get a suite, or a room with a view of the Nile. It has many resturants to select from. We have stayed in Mena House many years ago, but heard it wasn't up to its old standards. What every you select do enjoy.

• 2 months later...
We are going to Egypt in 3 weeks. We decided on the Mena House. It was between the Marriot Cairo and the Mena House. I was looking with something with a bit of history. I can let you know how the Mena House is when we get back.

Hi,

Just checking to see how the Mena House was?

We stayed at the Mena House on our overnight with Ramses. It was well worth the extra charge. As Mike mentioned above, breakfast in the shadow of the pyramids is breathtaking. Memorable beyond words. The Mena House is 100% "Egyptian"--not the standard upgrade "Western" hotel. This is 5 stars and worth each one. A mandatory splurge for those seeking a fabulous experience!

MSK1

Archived