Any Point in Victoria

mahassiddasairy

We'll be in Victoria from 7 PM til (I think) midnight on our September cruise. At that time of year, it'll already by dark or nearly there. My husband and I aren't big into "nightlife" (bars, clubs, etc.), and aren't really interested in the castle. Is there anything else to do at this time in Victoria, or should we stay on the ship? It's our last port, so I hate the idea of giving it up, but if there's nothing for us to do, there's no point in leaving. Any ideas?

Might be worth a trip to the gardens, should be lit up still. We are from Vancouver and initially thought about not bothering with getting off in Victoria either, but I think if the weather is decent we are going to wander around the inner harbour and take some photos. It is a beautiful place day or night!

What and miss a view like this - it's a night picture taken of our Parliament Buildings on my Alaskan Cruise in 2009 where we only had 5 hours in Victoria.

Cheers

Dennis

339221060_VictoriaSept52009031.jpg.dbee6a5b6a6b80e4d87b27640a440fb2.jpg

It does stay day light longer there but not sure about the month of Sept. I would go into town at least. We had a free shuttle from our ship into town. When we went it was almost dark (did a whale tour before that was awesome). But we walked around the harbor area. The hotels and parliment building are really nice. There are several shops down there to shop at. It is really expensive there. But if you have a free shuttle you may as well check it out for a while.

We'll be in Victoria from 7 PM til (I think) midnight on our September cruise. At that time of year, it'll already by dark or nearly there. My husband and I aren't big into "nightlife" (bars, clubs, etc.), and aren't really interested in the castle. Is there anything else to do at this time in Victoria, or should we stay on the ship? It's our last port, so I hate the idea of giving it up, but if there's nothing for us to do, there's no point in leaving. Any ideas?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154945-d487488-Reviews-Fairmont_Empress_Hotel-Victoria_Vancouver_Island_British_Columbia.html

DINE THERE OR GET A MASSAGE AT SPA OR JUST HAVE A MARTINI AND ABSORB OVER A 100 YEARS OF HISTORY...

I live across the Strait from Victoria (in Port Angeles, WA), so we get to Victoria often. I don't know if the Natural History Museum is open at night, but it's worth a visit if it is. Also, there is an IMAX theater in the same building as the Museum, and it might be playing something you'd be interested in

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154945-d487488-Reviews-Fairmont_Empress_Hotel-Victoria_Vancouver_Island_British_Columbia.html

DINE THERE OR GET A MASSAGE AT SPA OR JUST HAVE A MARTINI AND ABSORB OVER A 100 YEARS OF HISTORY...

Thanks for pointing this out! I thought the only option at the Empress was the (imo overpriced) tea. Their dinner options look wonderful, though, so we'll probably end up doing this. Do you know if you need reservations for dinner, or if we can just show up? (We'd probably go with the curry buffet in the Bengal, if that makes any difference.)

ETA: Nevermind, just saw you can't make reservations for dinner. Do you think they'll be all filled up by about 8 PM?

I live across the Strait from Victoria (in Port Angeles, WA), so we get to Victoria often. I don't know if the Natural History Museum is open at night, but it's worth a visit if it is. Also, there is an IMAX theater in the same building as the Museum, and it might be playing something you'd be interested in

I think you are referring to the Royal BC Museum and unfortunately it does close at 5pm during the week but is open until 10 pm on Fridays and Saturdays June thru September.

mahassiddasairy: If there is a cruise ship in town, the Gardens will be open late. quote]

Actually the poster is correct, the gardens will begin closing at 5:30 pm on September 16 regardless if a ship is in town or not. I thought it was an error on their website and phoned them today to confirm that they were closing at 5:30 and they are.

mahassiddasairy: If there is a cruise ship in town, the Gardens will be open late. quote]

Actually the poster is correct, the gardens will begin closing at 5:30 pm on September 16 regardless if a ship is in town or not. I thought it was an error on their website and phoned them today to confirm that they were closing at 5:30 and they are.

Geez and here I thought they were in the business to make money! :-)

Geez and here I thought they were in the business to make money! :-)

I can't blame them...the gardens may have gotten a lot of complaints from people who prepaid without realizing it would be dark by the time they got there. I'd have gone anyway, but most people might not want to view a garden at night.

You haven't indicated what time you will arrive in Victoria but sunset on that date will be about 8:35 pm and there wll be twilight until about 9:10 pm. The gardens are of course illuminated after dark and really are quite pretty.

Archived