Patches or Bonine?

sassystyxfan

Hey Adamsmom......Just took my boys to the Doc. as we will be on the POA in three weeks:) Although they have cruised before with no problem, I've heard and read that the hawaiian waters can really be a wild ride. Asked for scrips for the patch for them and I was told the patch is not good for kids. My boys are 16 and 14. The oldest one is 5'10 & 218lbs (Football player) yet he still said no he told me to use Bonine.

Hi:

When I go on cruises I take Ginger (herb) and never had a problem. I've been in storms, rough seas, rocking, etc. and never gotten sick. I start taking it three days prior to the cruise and keep taking it until the day we leave. Due to being on medication it's safer for me to take Ginger.

From talking to previous passengers I did hear that Bonine works wonders.

Have a great cruise!

Good Morning Schplinky:

Ginger can be bought at a grocery store, drug store or vitamin store and it's inexpensive. It's caplet shape and easy to swallow. Ginger can be used for stomach upset, motion sickness and nausea.

I start taking the Ginger three days prior to my cruise and take it everyday throughout the cruise. I usually take it in the morning prior to breakfast. One is usually good enough for me and even if the ship becomes a little rocky I have no problem. Everyone has a different tolerance level when it comes to motion sickness but the Ginger works for me.

If you take any medications check with your doctor first to make sure it's okay to take this herb.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

C Ya!

Thanks, Trish!

We don't really think we'll get sick but I will likely pick up the herb and try it. In Canada, you can buy the patch over the counter but they're $14 Canadian ($11US) for a 6 day supply. I don't think it's a coincidence that most cruises are seven and you'd need to buy two sets and waste some! :)

Ginger does it for us too. If your problem is that you sometimes get a little queesy then try Ginger pills. I usually take them the first day or two, then don't need them. But if I do get a little queesy then ginger clears it up fast.

A good friend of mine gets very sea sick. He used the patch and got very ill from it, the ship doctor gave him something to knock him out for a while, then told him to just use bonine and he was fine after that (with the bonine).

Schplinky:

Glad to help you out. Hope the Ginger will work for you. The bottle I buy will last me for several cruises and I take it when I'm not feeling so good. For $7 a bottle it's definitely worth it!

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy!

C Ya!

For those of you that are fans of bonine (meclizine hydrochloride), you can buy the generic version at very low prices. For example, Costco pharmacy sells meclizine hydrochloride 25mg (same as bonine) in bottles containing 100 tablets for $4.99......they are not raspberry favored or chewable like the brand name bonine, but they are the same medicine.

I get sea sick, Car sick etc... Before the first cruise I did research and decided on Bonine. Ever since it's #1 on the list to take on the next cruise. I take one the morning of embarking. Depending on the seas, that may be the only one I take. It's just enough to give me my sea legs and I'm fine the rest of the time. I would take it the morning of sailing excusions or if I looked out and the horizon was not so horizontal with the ship (think Hurricane season sailing)!! But taking it everday for me is not needed. Keep this in mind as a previous posted mentioned. You may not need it, it helps me with the transition from land to sea and highly recommend it. Not all stores carry it so don't wait until the last minute to pack it!

The transderm patch has a slow release membrane. When you cut it in half, you break that membrane, thus allowing at least one half of a three day dose to be delivered within an hour. During a very stormy passage between NZ and Australia, two men suddenly starting acting as if they had had strokes. One had cut a patch in half. The other had applied another patch early because the first one washed off.

If you are going to use the patch, try it out on land a week before you go, so that if it isn't for you, you have other alternatives.

And don't cut any patch or time release capsule in half as that defeats the technology.

Hi all,

"cut the patch in half" and only use "half" at a time.

That's the best advice that I could give. I respond strongly to medication so the whole patch made me as dopey as being seasick. The patch can be cut into whatever size is good for you, half, quarters, thirds, etc. One word of caution, DON"T touch your eyes after you put the patch on until after you've washed them thoroughly. Besides the patch, I always take meclizine tablets with me (same stuff that's in Dramamine but cheaper with my prescription plan) just in case. Usually the patch does the trick alone but knowing that I'm prepared for any other problem helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I have a terrible time with seasickness and have tried everything. I read on these boards about Bonine 24 hour slow release. You take it the day before you get on the ship and take it continually until you get off the ship. I did this last year, I would take it before going to bed and I never once felt sick. God Bless 24 hour slow release Bonine. I went from racing to the public washroom to actually enjoying the fresh air on the top deck lounging in a sun chair. Dramamine made me so tired and yet this Bonine never had any effect on me as far as feeling tired. I would give it a try if you are prone to seasickness.

I've had the same problems with seasickness, but never have seen the slow-release type. I actually got my doctor to give me an Rx for meclazine (active ingredient in Bonine) because it was cheaper to pay the copay for 100 tablets than to buy 12 boxes of Bonine at $6-$8 per box.

I was told by my doctor to start taking the tablets 2 per day starting 1-2 days before leaving for my trip. This apparently builds up a residual amount of the drug in your system. During my trip, I take up to 4 per day, depending on how I'm feeling. After my trip, I taper off for 1-2 days. On some trips, I've still had a bit of queasiness during the rough parts, but not enough to keep me from doing anything. I sometimes feel slightly drowsy, but never "doped up" like with other drugs. I also have never had land sickness upon returning from a cruise.

P.S. My doctor and I decided against the patch because I suffered from severe migraines and one of the ingredients could be a trigger. She also told me at the time that the patch releases too much medication for some people--as the amount to take is determined by body mass and the patches are one size only. Women and smaller persons may need to cut the patch into 2-4 pieces to get the correct dose.

Reese1717: Dramamine has a different active ingredient from Bonine. The last poster is correct; it is more likely to cause drowsiness. I've used it, but when I do, I just end up sleeping through the days. Dramamine II has the same active ingredient as Bonine and is not supposed to cause drowsiness.

Although these boats are huge, and getting larger all the time, sea sickness still happens. I found that the wrist bands work the best for me. They are found all over usually under the name "Sea Bands". Also - if you need medical help for seasickness, go to the front desk and they will dispense you medicine there for free. (usually) Be warned, you need to take the medicine BEFORE you get sick because if you wait it's not much help.

Seasickness isn't all bad - It's a great way to keep the weight off!:p

I have read so much about Bonine since I've been cruisin' these threads, put haven't seen anything about patches? Does anyone have experience with both? Why do you prefer one over the other? I have never tried anything for seasickness, but got a little queasy on our Alaska trip. The Pacific Coast is a LOT rougher than the Caribbean! I thought this info would be good to have from San Francisco to Mexico.

i have found a very easy and quick way to overcome he seasickness, jsut go to the bar and ask the bartender for "bitters and water" jsut drink it down like youw would an alka seltzer, instant relief.

hope this helps

I don't get seasick unless the waters are choppy, but I still take Bonine every day on a cruise because I'd rather be safe than sorry. There was only one day when it didn't work for me, but it was during a hurricane and the crew said it was the worst they'd ever experienced. Bonine didn't help then, and no one on the ship bothered to make an announcement that you could have gotten a shot at the infirmary that would have taken the nausea and vomiting away - maybe they didn't have enough shots.

Bonine doesn't make you drowsy, and is chewable, which is great for adults like me who can't swallow pills! :)

I was told by my doctor to start taking the tablets 2 per day starting 1-2 days before leaving for my trip. This apparently builds up a residual amount of the drug in your system. During my trip, I take up to 4 per day, depending on how I'm feeling. After my trip, I taper off for 1-2 days. On some trips, I've still had a bit of queasiness during the rough parts, but not enough to keep me from doing anything. I sometimes feel slightly drowsy, but never "doped up" like with other drugs. I also have never had land sickness upon returning from a cruise.

P.S. My doctor and I decided against the patch because I suffered from severe migraines and one of the ingredients could be a trigger. She also told me at the time that the patch releases too much medication for some people--as the amount to take is determined by body mass and the patches are one size only. Women and smaller persons may need to cut the patch into 2-4 pieces to get the correct dose.

The active ingredient in patches can also be had in oral form via prescription. It's called Scopace and it works very well. One can easily control how much of the drug you get and you don't have to worry about the patch washing off due to bathing or sweating. Also, for larger guys -- like me -- the patches don't last as long as they should ... by pill-form they work very well because I can dose myself as I need every day. I don't get sea sick easily, but when I do I get very sick.

Has anyone tried the Dramamine - Less Drowsy Formula - active ingredient Meclizine Hyrdrochloride Tablets/Antiemetic.

I bought these (8 tablet pack) fo our cruise and am wondering if this will cause drowsiness. I believe this has the same active ingredient in Bonine.

Anyone?

Has anyone tried the Dramamine - Less Drowsy Formula - active ingredient Meclizine Hyrdrochloride Tablets/Antiemetic.

I bought these (8 tablet pack) fo our cruise and am wondering if this will cause drowsiness. I believe this has the same active ingredient in Bonine.

Anyone?

I use these all the time when fishing in the ocean on my 22 ft boat. I only use a 1/2 tablet, because a whole one can make you somewhat sleepy. Not nearly as bad as regular Dramamine, but still, a whole tablet will definately help you sleep! :eek:

The active ingredient is in fact meclizine hydrochloride, which actually is way cheaper to buy from the pharmacy than by the brand name "Dramamine II". Even the "store brand" like Rite-Aid (Generic) is 1/2 price when you get the little packages of eight.

I am so glad I found this! Crystalissed Ginger is going with me on my cruise! Forget Dramamine, Bonine (just because I cannot find it) and other stuff! Read this!

Prevent seasickness without side effects - Ask the experts: answers to your questions from the leaders in natural medicine - Brief Article

Laurel Vukovic I'm going on a cruise. What herb can I take to prevent seasickness?

LAUREL VUKOVIC REPLIES: Ginger (Zingiber officinale) is the best-known and most well-studied herbal remedy for preventing and treating seasickness. Studies show it works better than Dramamine, the over-the-counter drug commonly used to treat motion sickness. Dramamine often has side effects like drowsiness, dizziness, and headaches--and ginger doesn't.

Take 500 mg of powdered ginger capsules with water one hour before traveling and then 500 mg every two to four hours as long as needed. You can also chew on a slice of fresh gingerroot or a piece of crystallized ginger to relieve your symptoms. Look for ginger capsules and crystallized ginger in natural food stores; fresh ginger is in your produce aisle. I've even found that slowly eating a couple of small gingersnap cookies works well to relieve motion sickness.

LAUREL VUKOVIC is an herbalist in Ashland, Ore. She is the author of Herbal Healing Secrets for Women (Prentice Hall, 2000). Her most recent book is The Journal of Desire (Prentice Hall, 2001).

COPYRIGHT 2003 Weider Publications

COPYRIGHT 2003 Gale Group

here is the link: http://www. findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_6_33/ai_106224756/print

Archived