snorkeling

phillyken

the wife and i will be in Bermuda early September for the third time.we have helmut dived,swam with the fishies at Tobacco bay,and would like to try snorkeling .We have never snorkeled,intermediate swimmers. Church bay looks like an ideal place.would you recommend it for beginners and how much to rent the equipment?

I don't know the exact cost at Church Bay but most places charge $15 so CB is probably inline with the others.

Church Bay is normally rough so you need to be careful and it's more work than just leisurly floating around like you can do at Tobacco Bay. I'd suggest you swim around a bit at Church Bay to get a feel for it before you rent the equipment.

the wife and i will be in Bermuda early September for the third time.we have helmut dived,swam with the fishies at Tobacco bay,and would like to try snorkeling .We have never snorkeled,intermediate swimmers. Church bay looks like an ideal place.would you recommend it for beginners and how much to rent the equipment?

Not only is the surf rough at Church Bay, but the bottom is rough. If I were to go back to Church Bay I'd want to wear some sort of foot protection while snorkeling.

If this is your first time snorkeling I'd recommend out by the rocks at Tobacco Bay. Or one of the snorkeling tours where you dive over a wreck or in a cove.

I agree; although I rate Church Bay highly for snorkelling; I'm not sure I would recommend it for a 'first-timer'. It can be a little rough, (but not always) and to get the best out of it, you really need to get to the reef, which is a little ways off-shore...

Tobacco Bay would be a far more 'comfortable' option; and there are way better facilities there too!

The snorkel tours out to the wrecks are in 'open-water', so it would depend on how you feel about taking the plunge there.

Top-tip for snorkelling which many beginners tend to forget in the 'panic' of the moment... The snorkel comes out of your mouth! If you get water in the snorkel, just pop your head up, take the snorkel out, blow the water out, and start afresh!

The better snorkels have air-valves which help keep water out; but you're unlikely to rent one of those!

Whatever you decide; enjoy it... it's a wonderful world down there.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from a cruise to Dockyard. I took Sonnysnorkel out of Dockyard to a wreck site. I had a wonderful experience. Sonny was low-key and pleasant, has a fast, small boat, good loaner gear, even a digital underwater camera to borrow. You can bring your own memory card, or he'll post stuff on line for you. No drinks or snacks provided, but it's cheaper - $45/person cash, $50 credit card. I'd definitely use him again. www.snorkelbermuda.com

Archived