Oriana-which restaurant?

trfccruiser

Hi I'm guessing that of the 2 main restaurants on board that which one you are in is determined by your cabin?Is this determined by grade of cabin or by location?I notice on the deck plans that it looks like you can only get to the Oriental via the aft stairs/lifts so I'm guessing most people in aft cabins will be in the Oriental and most forward will be in the Peninsular-midships-potluck??

We are going to be on A deck midships.

Main reason for asking I notice some reviews mention the Oriental has some vibration and my wife really doesn't like this-it's one of the things that put her off cruising slightly.

We were on the Braemar a while back and one night when we going very slowly along the canal out of Amsterdam the table shuddered so much that some of the cutlery fell off!I'm sure Oriana won't be like that but it would be great if we were in the Peninsula!

I specifically asked for the Peninsular Restaurant when I booked because I could get to it more easily than the Oriental, or so I thought! I lost count of the number of times we went the length of deck 7 on our way and forgot to go down the centre stairs!

While on board I did hear from several people that the Oriental Restaurant is quite noisy, but having said that we met people who had been on Oriana before, noted the noise in there but STILL ended up in that restaurant.

If I were you I would put in a request for the Peninsular as soon as you can.

Hi I'm guessing that of the 2 main restaurants on board that which one you are in is determined by your cabin?Is this determined by grade of cabin or by location?I notice on the deck plans that it looks like you can only get to the Oriental via the aft stairs/lifts so I'm guessing most people in aft cabins will be in the Oriental and most forward will be in the Peninsular-midships-potluck??

We are going to be on A deck midships.

Main reason for asking I notice some reviews mention the Oriental has some vibration and my wife really doesn't like this-it's one of the things that put her off cruising slightly.

We were on the Braemar a while back and one night when we going very slowly along the canal out of Amsterdam the table shuddered so much that some of the cutlery fell off!I'm sure Oriana won't be like that but it would be great if we were in the Peninsula!

Hi again!!

On every Oriana cruise of ours we've been allocated the Oriental restaurant regardless of where our cabin was situated.

Our last cruise on her was in Feb this year and we had a forward cabin but still got the Oriental restaurant:rolleyes:!

We did have some rough seas on the transatlantic crossing but didn't notice much in the way of vibration in the restaurant. The only time we had to hold on to the cutlery for dear life was when the Captain hit a sandbank on entering the Mississippi:eek: and was trying desperately to get off it - that was an interesting dinner!!

If you do want to change restaurant when you get on board the restaurant manager will be available at about 3pm to deal with any requests to move restaurant, change table etc. This will be advertised in the Horizon.

Debbie:)

Hello,

having been on Oriana a few times and the last being the New Year down to Madeira. Definitely go for the Peninsular. At New Year which admittedly was very rough the vibration was very noticeble in the Oriental. Oriental is known for it,

Iain

Hi again!!

On every Oriana cruise of ours we've been allocated the Oriental restaurant regardless of where our cabin was situated.

Our last cruise on her was in Feb this year and we had a forward cabin but still got the Oriental restaurant:rolleyes:!

We did have some rough seas on the transatlantic crossing but didn't notice much in the way of vibration in the restaurant. The only time we had to hold on to the cutlery for dear life was when the Captain hit a sandbank on entering the Mississippi:eek: and was trying desperately to get off it - that was an interesting dinner!!

If you do want to change restaurant when you get on board the restaurant manager will be available at about 3pm to deal with any requests to move restaurant, change table etc. This will be advertised in the Horizon.

Hi Debbie thanks for your helpful advice again and also to hallsuk2 and Brayman-I'll put a request in-best to ring or e-mail??

Debbie the argument with the sandbank sounds a bit hairy!!

Had a couple of dramas when I was on P&O as a child,the Canberra had a fire on board in the middle of the night and the alarms went off.The captain came on the loudspeakers and said it was a small fire in the galley which was now out.My Dad and I went straight back to sleep.My Mum remained in the corridor for quite a while with her lifejacket on-and she wasn't the only one!!

I was also on the Chusan when one of the engine boilers blew up and we limped along on one engine all the way back back to Southampton-we got a days extra cruise out of it,but as my Dad said "why didn't it blow up in the Med and not the Bay of Biscay!!"

I'd phone P&O customer services and follow up your request with an email just to be on the safe side. There's still no guarantee that you'll get the Peninsular restaurant which is why I suggested going to see the restaurant manager when you get onboard to sort it out - they're usually very accommodating.

Don't forget to try Oriana Rhodes or the Terrace Grill - both were outstanding:D.

Sounds like you've also had some interesting experiences on board as well:eek:

Archived