For All of us who worry too much... Here is something to ponder

GigCrusier

two years ago we went on the sky during a tropical storm, it was raining cats and dogs when we left miami and when we got to nassau it was raining by 11 am all clear and we didn't see rain again. I am not worried about hurricane season since I live in nc and we get the left overs from most hurricanes every year. We just have to be prepared for whatever happens:)

When on our Vision cruise a heck of a storm moved in while we were departing one of the ports. I think it was Mazatlan. Amazing lightening storm, blowing like nobody's business and raining in sheets. The ship didn't even flinch.

One funny/scary note, we had taken a very cool pirate ship trip to a remote beach earlier in the day, and that same ship embarked on a "party boat" trip in the evening. About 30 minutes out of port we saw the pirate ship heading back in, totally pummeled by the storm. It was raining so hard it looked like a ghost ship in the darkness, being tossed around like a toy. I can only imagine what the people on board were going through, as there was really nowhere to hide from the elements.

The storm brewing (notice the lightening strike)

IMG_2241-vi.jpg?1275326567

IMG_2253-vi.jpg?1275326573

IMG_2259-vi.jpg?1275326579

The party ship on its way out of port. Imagine the combination of this picture and the one above it. :eek:

IMG_2233-vi.jpg?1275327037

I am much safer on a cruise ship during a storm than in my own home. We have had water INSIDE 6 times including once 4 feet high. We have since modified the house so we no longer live on the first floor. Hurricanes have PATHS and WARNING (unlike fires, earthquakes and ah...volcanoes). Ships can move out of the path fairly easily and are prepared to do so.

For the TA, most June hurricanes go into the Gulf with the the most likely target the east coast of Mexico. Of course a few head into the Atlantic and go toward the north.

Worst case is we get a few free extra days on board. I'll be able to handle that.

Archived