Is It Time To Change The Mattresses On The Queen Mary 2

Terrence Richards

I have taken a yearly voyage on the Queen Mary 2 since 2004. The bed setup has always been for twin beds.

For several years, my wife and I have found the mattresses to be comfortable. Last year we found the mattresses in our stateroom very uncomfortable on a roundtrip crossing from Brooklyn, NY. It took several days for us to even begin to feel somewhat comfortable, but we both felt there was a need for new mattresses.

All of our staterooms on the Queen Mary 2 have been on Deck Four for our first three voyages and then Deck Five since then. We were always in a stateroom with the sheltered balcony in category B2. We will be back on board this coming October for a seven day voyage on Deck Five in a B2 category stateroom, possibly on an uncomfortable mattress, to New England/Canada.

If all the mattresses on the QM2 are the originals since 2004, I would think it is time for a change.

If you are reading this, how was your mattress comfort level on the QM2?

Terrence

If they are to change them i cant see them doing it till the next dry dock in Nov/Dec 2011.

You maybe right, although it would really take too much to change them, if they did one or two a day maybe.

Everyone has a different story on the mattress thing, they were great when we first sailed on QM2 , now they are thin and uncomfortable,I wonder if its more noticeable when they are made into queen beds????

The bed setup has always been for twin beds.

If you are reading this, how was your mattress comfort level on the QM2?

Terrence

We have always stayed in the exact same cabins as you and yes, the mattresses took some getting used to. On one trip I put a pillow in the indentation. :rolleyes:

I always wondered if the suites had the same mattresses as we did. :)

We were in room 1055 at Christmas and the mattress was horrible, so much infact that I did comment on here about it when I got back. I was tempted to say something but wasn't sure if they had spare mattresses below decks to change so opted instead just to make do.

We always have the king/queens configaration and went on cruises in 2007 and twice last year on QM2 (Britainna,Princess grill and Queens Grill).We both have bad backs and so are fussy about matresses and like them nice and firm !!. Queen/kings are the single mattresses zipped together there is no dip in the middle which is the trouble we have with a double bed. I was also told by our steward that they turn them regularly. We did check ( sad I know !! ) but they are very good quality mattresses certainly in the Grills and I would expect them to last a few more years at least.

We are going on QM2 in sept so will be good to see if they are still as good:)

Thanks for the responses so far.

I also deal with lower back pain and if I do not have a good mattress, then I have to deal with aches and pains for several hours until I get the muscles moving again.

Just for the record, I have been in Stateroom 4119 on Deck Four three times, Stateroom 5156 just once, and Stateroom 5158 three times. In October, I will back in Stateroom 5158. All staterooms have the sheltered balcony. So, I guess I get stuck with the same mattress until they change them.

If you ever take a look under the mattress, you will see it is on a bed frame of webbed slates that support the mattress. Then there is enough room under the frame to store luggage, which I appreciate.

Does anyone know if there is a comment, suggestion area in the US Cunard web site to send a message to the President of Cunard?

Terrence

I forgot to ask this question in my previous post.

Has anyone ever asked for a different kind of mattress or a new one if the one you had was so uncomfortable?

A previous poster, Rob, wrote that he heard that egg crate type of mattresses were available if requested.

Curious Terrence ( I do not work for "Sleepy's)

We have just finished on Queen Mary's world cruise in a level 4 stateroom midships. The mattresses joined together to make a double were fine. Quite firm and comfortable. At one of our ports of call (I think it was Dubai but not certain) they were loading new mattresses on board. I should think if you ask your steward for a change of mattress you would get one.

We have just finished on Queen Mary's world cruise in a level 4 stateroom midships. The mattresses joined together to make a double were fine. Quite firm and comfortable. At one of our ports of call (I think it was Dubai but not certain) they were loading new mattresses on board. I should think if you ask your steward for a change of mattress you would get one.

Yikes! I can't imagine asking a steward for a change of mattress! Seems to me that would be above and beyond the call of duty. Isn't that more the duty of the "Hotel Manager" to inspect and change mattresses as needed?

Salacia

Hi GBI,

Oh, that is such good news to know. Let's all hope that Cunard ordered many new mattresses and that they did not come from the Queen Elizabeth 2 in Dubai.

I hope that more recent guest on board the Queen Mary 2 will respond to my original post and respond with their comments.

If someone from Cunard is reading this, please be sure to change the mattresses in Stateroom 5158 and give them to BP to help plug up the oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico!

Terrence

If they are to change them i cant see them doing it till the next dry dock in Nov/Dec 2011.

Hi transatlantic fan,

I was on board the Queen Mary 2 in 2006. While docked in Quebec City, all the lounge chairs on the sheltered balconies were removed and piled up dockside. New ones were brought on board for replacement. The original lounge chairs had removable cushions. Due to a fire on a balcony on a Princess ship with similar furniture, Cunard decided to get rid of them on the QM2.

So, if furniture and other items need to be replaced, evidently it can be done without waiting for the ship to go into dry dock.

Terrence

As long as we're on the topic of mattress...

In all Britannia category staterooms, two twin mattress are "joined" to make a king if requested. From my experience (six QM2 voyages) where the mattresses are joined is absolutely miserable because the frame of both mattresses protrudes. Not conducive to a happy nights rest for a couple, imho.

I'm wondering if two twin beds are better than one miserable king? (Sounds like a comedy sketch, but I trust you know what I mean :)) Any comments from couples who have tried that option?

Salacia

:D

I'm wondering if two twin beds are better than one miserable king? (Sounds like a comedy sketch, but I trust you know what I mean :)) Any comments from couples who have tried that option?

Salacia

We now always request the twin set up because my husband snores and it's just better. :) It still doesn't solve the "caves" in the mattress but it does solve that "middle" problem.

:D

We now always request the twin set up because my husband snores and it's just better. :) It still doesn't solve the "caves" in the mattress but it does solve that "middle" problem.

Thanks Brigittetom. Good to know I won't be the only one requesting twin set up:) -Salacia

Trust me. You won't be the only one. :D They wouldn't offer it if it weren't requested. :D:D:D

I hear you :) But it's kind of sad that QM2 mattresses in Britannia categories are not comfortable for two in one bed. -S.

Thanks Brigittetom. Good to know I won't be the only one requesting twin set up:) -Salacia

Hi Salacia,

Thanks for the input.

You are able to request twin beds at the time of booking, along with your dinning time and table size.

Since my wife and I began with Cunard back in 1993, we always requested twin beds. A few times the beds were together to make it queen size. As soon as our stateroom steward arrived to meet us, we explain that we requested twins. When we return later in the day, the beds are changed to twins.

It is very easy for the stateroom steward to do this. The beds and the bed tables were made to be moved.

So, do not feel that you are asking for something that is not a common request by other guest.

Terrence

Thanks for starting this thread Terry! My husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in style on the QM2 last Nov and we fell in love with the ship (liner). However, we decided against our next voyage (Dec 2010) on her. Why? Because of the beds. That 6 night voyage was the most uncomfortable sleep we have ever had. We woke up every morning stiff and in pain (I'm not exaggerating)... my husband said when we got home that he should have slept on the floor! I do look forward to another sailing on the QM2 one day but NOT until they improve their mattresses!

Cheers,

I hear you :) But it's kind of sad that QM2 mattresses in Britannia categories are not comfortable for two in one bed. -S.

Anyone remember Carol Burnett in "Once Upon a Mattress"?;)

We've been on five voyages on QM2, in Britannia, (6, 7, & 8 starting next week)...always with the beds together as a 'Queen'...and we have never been uncomfortable, or had a problem.

One can always request an additional mattress cover, or 'eggshell', if the pea...er, 'bump', is a problem.:rolleyes:

B&B

I really think it is the luck of the draw with the mattresses, my husbands side was fine but mine had a terrible bump in it and was very uncomfortable and yes I woke up with bad backs most mornings. Next time we go if the mattress is not good I may chance my arm and ask if there is something we can swap it with. I know that some may think it is a storm in a tea cup but when you consider that you spend a good 8 hours of your day on it it is quite essential that you have a wee bit of comfort.

Archived