Just returned from the Mercury/Mexican Riviera

smudge's mom

You will love this ship. It's beautiful. The food, staff - overall experience - was great.

My personal negatives: desserts (not to my liking) - bread basket was unimaginative (same each night) - entertainment (not as good as I'm used to - The Celebrity Singers and Dancers were not very good; guest entertainment was not to my liking.) But - I think I was in the minority in regard to these negatives. After all, these things are so subjective.

My personal positives: buffets (were good) - staff (friendly, helpful, excellent) - ship (beautiful, clean, easy to get around) - embarking/disembarking - (handled very well.) We were at the airport by 9:30 (without priority disembarking.)

As for the ship's excursions? We took similar excursions in each port - eco/countryside trips - I don't recommend taking one of these in each port. The scenery and wildlife is extremely similar and you get the feeling you are taking the same excursion each day.

All excursions were well done - all guided by great locals - but the Mexican countryside is unvaried. I suggest mixing excursions - city and country.

Do the "Shotover" - really fun. That can be done by yourself. Take a cab and show up. As for beaching it - I would suggest purchasing "day passes" and arriving on your own.

Take a sweater/pants. Some sea days are cool. Some ports are cooler.

We also just returned form the Mex. cruise and our room was great. I have had a few verandas but the sky suite was to die for. wide open and great views. I also felt the food was ok but I have been on about 15 cruises and I just thought it was me. The sushi bar was outstanding as was the pasta bar. Ports were fine but you have to remember that you are in Mexico not ST Barts. Beaches are different as are the people. Did not really like the entertainment but I was one of the younger group ( at 54) so it was alright with me. We did have three returns to ports due to Medical Emergencys. I would not do it again next year but would sometime. We are On the Empress of the Sea next year doing 11 days out of San Juan. vlnovak

You were on with us? Jan 17th?

I was aware of two medical emergencies, but I didn't notice the third.

I've decided l like the Caribbean better, but after 7 times in the Caribbean, we decided to try something different - that's why we chose Mexico. I prefer San Juan and that part of the Caribbean.

I thought the main meals on Celebrity were very good - and the bread was good - just would've appreciated a little more variety. Thought the buffets were pretty decent. Their hamburgers, fries and pizza were very good. However, we are less fussy than most - not really into fancy meals with lots of unique sauces. However, I was disappointed in the desserts. What's wrong with having normal cake? The ice cream was bizarre - weird texture and flavor. Considering desserts are more important to me than the main meals, that was a disappointment for me. Not enough to downgrade the cruise - but a minor thing for me.

I would definitely choose Celebrity again - even though I'm not a big fan of scheduled dining/formal dressing.

And for those who wonder? People did follow the dress code on formal nights - however, semi-formal and casual was all "over the map."

the reason so many of us were messed up on dress is because there wasn't semi formal it was informal so we thought that ment slacks and a shirt when it really ment a Jacket and tie. should have stuck with the semi I guess. I am doing the 11 day caribbean next year on the Empress of the sea. I like the water and port alot more. Mexico was nice and I am glad we went and had a great time. Sky suite was great. vlnovak

I've decided l like the Caribbean better' date=' but after 7 times in the Caribbean, we decided to try something different - that's why we chose Mexico. I prefer San Juan and that part of the Caribbean.

[/quote']

Hi Smudge's Mom -- glad you enjoyed your cruise! You are right; food is subjective. We love the desserts! Mercury is a beautiful ship. We are thinking of trying Mexico this fall after many Caribbean cruises, just for a change. How would you compare the two? Did you try any of the beaches & if so how do they compare with those in the Caribbean?

Thanks for your opinions!

Rich

This was our first non-M class cruise on Celebrity.It was almost as good as the M-class ships we've been on,except for the small Martini Bar and the non-existent Piano Bar.The crew were fantastic,the food as wonderful and the rum raisin ice cream (that we asked for,and got every night) was equal to our other Celebrity cruises.We had 5 couples/clients with us,two of whom had never tranveled on Celebrity before,who have now become "converts".

My parents and another couple are going on the Mercury at the end of February. I provided them with information on the number of formal and casual nights on the RCCL cruise they are taking next week. They were impressed.

They then wanted to know if I could work magic and find out what the dress is for each night on the Mercury or at least how many of each type are on the eleven day cruise. Help me work magic, please.

Jacquie

Well that was a less than exciting review, smudges'Mom. As our coming up cruise will be our first time with Celebrity and on the Mercury, I am hoping to hear better experiances but I do appreciate honest reviews. I hate people sugar coating something that isn't.:o

They are NOT like the carrib. sand is more course and water is much more stired up. The water is warm once you get down below PV but you are always being bothered by beach venders, about 1 ever 3 min. I love the carrib water but this is not the same. However, remember you are not in the carrib but the pacific so a change is ok. You will not like the snorkling form the beach as you do from the islands, You can boggie board whick is fun and the food and beer are great on the beach. Go to the Office in Cobo. La Tablea in ManzanilloEnjoy the countryside in Manzatlan get on the Frank Tour. hope this helps, if you are on the mercury get a sky suite,

Hi-

Thanks for your Mercury review. You mentioned beaching it and getting a day pass on your own (vs a shore excursion); we'd like to do that in PV and Manzanillo. Can you make a recommendation for a resort in those ports? We're looking for beach but also a nice pool and restaurant.

Thanks!

In Manznallo the resorts can be not too nice to you as they do not really like you there and they tend to rush you out. It cost about $25 for hotel las hadas and i did not go there but i do not know anyone who would recomend it. talked to the Libraian on the ship and she may be able to give you more info. We took a taxi to Playa Miramar, and ate and used chairs for free at La tabalo. It is between the two flea markets. Very nice but no pool. you can rent boggie boards and also take banana boat rides, $2.50 for boat and 3.00 for boards. In pv it was cloudy and cool so we took the bus to the center of town and ate at a cute resturant by the ocean. I know the blue shrimp rest. is good here too. also can take a trolly ride. you pick that up in the center of town. bus $ .50. Marked el centro get it at the end of the block where the ship docks. Cab to beach in man. is $10-12 per cab. not per person. no need to get the same one back as there run to this spot often.

Hi-

Thanks for your Mercury review. You mentioned beaching it and getting a day pass on your own (vs a shore excursion); we'd like to do that in PV and Manzanillo. Can you make a recommendation for a resort in those ports? We're looking for beach but also a nice pool and restaurant.

Thanks!

We have done the Mex Riv 2 times now and both times we went to Krystal Vallarta Hotel at the Puerto Vallarta stop, and hung out by their pool all day. It is the most beautiful pool with a swim up bar and restaurant. We ran a cash tab all day and just paid when we left. Order the Modelo beer as it comes in a can so you get a full 12oz otherwise you get a styrofoam cup of beer about 8oz for the same cost, due to all their other beers being in bottles so ofcourse they can't be by the pool area (one of those tidbits I always love to know before hand!) Haven't been there on Celebrity so not sure which pier it docks at or which ones we were at (never find out the names but I guess that would help huh?!) on Princess & Royal Caribbean but both times we were able to walk to the resort. Ask any of the people when you get off the boat how to get there or depending on how long Celebrity has been going there the waiters may know as they were the ones that pointed us in the right direction cause they go there themselves (the ones on Royal Caribbean).

Yes people from the mercury did go to the Krystal, It is about a 10 min walk. where we dock there is a flea market and plaza go out of the plaza and turn right on the street. It is about 5 resorts down on the ocean side. It was only about 72 when we were there and cloudy so we did not go to the beach.

... La Tablea in Manzanillo ...

¡Hola, vinovak!

I am still at a loss on what to do in Manzanillo (Mercury, 5/4/05), since I don't think i want to go to a resort. In general, the port doesn't sound thrilling, but I could be missing something.

What the heck is "La Tablea in Manzanillo"?

Gracias

Mexico was a nice change, but after experiencing it - I wouldn't go back unless the itinerary was different.

We scheduled eco/countryside tours in all the ports. That made each port seem the same as the other. Mexico is not as varied in vegetation, wildlife, birds as the Caribbean is. Every "water" excursion we went on - where we took a small boat into the wilds - was the same. Little wildlife - few bird - murkish water that smelled of sulphur because of rotting Mangrove trees. In fact, the hightlights of each trip were Mangroves and termite nests. We were told the parrot type birds will return in March. Guess, they are on vacation. :D

Now, this sounds pretty negative - and I don't want it to.

What I am suggesting for anyone who is considering the Mercury to the Mexican Riviera is to vary their excursions. Do a day at the beach - do a day in the countryside - do a city tour. Because the countryside is similar in each ports, doing the same type of excursion each day is a waste of money.

That being said - the tours were great. The Mexican locals are friendly, proud of their country, and are out there to provide you with a great excursion. I have no negatives about the excursions themselves.

Any questions? SmudgesMom123@aol.com - put "Mercury" in the subject line.

Read my review again. I don't think it was negative. I was just pointing out where I was disappointed. Again, my negatives were in subjective areas.

The Mercury is a beautiful ship. The ship was kept very clean. The junior suite we had was wonderful. We had so much storage space that we had empty drawers.

The main dinners in the dining room were uniformly very good. The buffets were very good. The service, from both the waiters and bar staff, was excellent. All over the ship, the staff was friendly, smiled and greeted you, and provided excellent service.

I thought the Celebrity singers and dancers needed work. One of their lead singers "murdered" Circle of Life - a few of their dancers seemed uncoordinated and stiff.Their production shows were good enough - but I've seen better. That doesn't mean they weren't enjoyable - just that I've seen better.

Two of their guest entertainers were more "classical" than general interest entertainment. They - a violinist and a pianist - were excellent at what they did - but that type of music didn't interest me.

The Mexican countryside seemed unvaried to me. I was mentioning that, so others didn't make the same mistake we did - that of - booking excursions that were too similar in make-up.

I surely didn't want to make anyone think they would not enjoy their cruise on the Mercury.

I've been on the Mexican Riviera before and am familiar with what I am interested in. I think you're right on much of that. I guess the following was my main concern.

"My personal negatives: desserts (not to my liking) - bread basket was unimaginative (same each night) - entertainment (not as good as I'm used to - The Celebrity Singers and Dancers were not very good; guest entertainment was not to my liking.) But - I think I was in the minority in regard to these negatives. After all, these things are so subjective."

Again, please don't think I'm critisizing you by any means. I value all reviews , everybody has their opinions and I like to hear them. As you even mentioned, all things are subjective. It's just that our cruise is approaching and my selfish nature likes to hear warm and glowing reports. lol ...Thanks for your honest and candid review.;)

I'd be worried about an entire review that was glowing. Nothing in life is perfect. However, on a cruise, there are many degrees of "great."

And - this was one of our best cruises. For me - it was our tablemates and our wonderful suite and the wonderful treatment we got from staff - that made it better than usual.:D

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Hi Everyone

We were on the same cruise and enjoyed it immensely. I think it depends on what you are looking for. We have cruised over 30 times and done many different itineraries. We decided on this cruise not for the ports because we have seen them several times before but for the relaxation. Mexican waters are usually calmer than the Carib (of course there is always an exception but generally speaking they have been smooth.) We like to have a cabin with a balcony and we were in Concierge Class so we had an expanded breakfast menu. That is something we like - just relaxing in the a.m. on the balcony. Maybe I am anti social but I don't want to have to make small talk first thing in the morning. I do love meeting new people but not until I am fully awake!!

I rated the Mercury very very highly compared to the other ships and lines we have been on. She was so easy to get around on, exceptionally clean, staff wonderful. As far as food goes I think some people expect too much. There are lines at twice the price that serve a more gourmet menu. All I can tell you is that it is far better than I would eat at home and I didn't have to cook it or do the dishes. We would never order that much if we were vacationing in a resort either.

So, in my opinion dollar for dollar it was certainly money well spent. As with everything else live is what you make it. Just enjoy!

PS I enjoyed having the same bread basket every night - the breadsticks were killers. A couple at the next table used to get a dozen to go after their meal to snack on. Not that they needed anymore food!

I was on the same cruise as "smudge's mom" and offer some comments that are similar. All the staff, at least the front line staff, are fabulous. Our waiter Martinho and our cabin attendant Desmond were very courteous, attentive and sometimes entertaining. The dinners were very good, even the desserts perhaps because I normally don't have such things. The buffets seemed a bit tired to me, but I only tried them twice. We had room service one morning and I think my omelette had been made by a merger of Goodyear and Weyerheuser.

I wasn't too impressed by the dancers at all. I thought the singing was okay. The first comedian, a ventriloquist, was fabulous. The violinist was okay. The gymnasts were interesting, but the pianist put me and most of our party to sleep.

We didn't take any of the ships excursions because we thought the prices were outrageous. I think one scuba tour was $170. We have never paid more than 80 before (a few years before) even on a cruise ship. We usually hired taxis, vans, or used municipal buses to get around towns and to go to beaches. Although we enjoyed our extensive tour of Acapulco, we really only enjoyed Ze.... and Manzanillo. I think the Caribbean is a better choice as well.

The ship was in very good shape and received a great deal of care throughout the cruise.

The Mexican people we met were great. The racing bus drivers were, uh ... exciting. I think transmission repair is a growth industry.

I would definitely cruise Celebrity and/or Mercury again, perhaps somewhere else. We are beach, snorkle, scuba people - early 50's.

As has been said before, different strokes for different folks. It would be hard to have a bad time.

Glenn

Smudges Mom,

I also did not find you post negative. I will be sailing on the Mercury and my first Celebrity cruise in April, so the thread interested me. I of course had wished that you had liked the entertainment more, but was equally glad for your honestly.... Overall you seemed to have a lot of +'s, and I am excited to try Celebrity for the first time.

V,

I know what you mean about the differences from Pacific coast, and Caribbean. A few years back we did a Panama Canal cruise that started in the Pacific (Acapulco), ending in San Juan. When you crossed to the Caribbean, you could actually see the water color changing... It was incredible. I too prefer the Caribbean, but after 3 or four times you do tend to desire a new cruise experience. This time we are cruising the Calif Coast. It should be fun, but it only has one sea day....So much for R&R on this cruise.

Janet

I am enjoying reading all your comments. My husband and I will be on the Mercury on the 18th. This will be my 6th time on the Mercury and my 4th time in the Mexican Riviera. We have spent the last few years going back to the Caribbean over and over again ( 8 times!) The Pacific Ocean is NOT the Caribbean. It is funny how some people are surprised that they are so different. They wouldn't expect Scotland to be like Greece! One of the aspects of cruising that I love, is meeting all the locals. All too briefly of course. But Mexican people in the Riviera I find are very different from the Caribbean side. I think they are more friendly and eager to talk to you. The cab drivers there for example have always been very interested where we are from They tell us about all their kids etc.. There are way too many vendors on the beach, but so are there in the Caribbean. The worst ones I found anywhere were in Barbados St Lucia and Jamaica. I am looking forward to a change. I am happy to hear that the Mercury is being well taken care of. She may not be as classy as her new cousins, but I find her to be a very comfortable ship to travel on. And some of the nicest crew in Celebrity.

Glad you all had a good time! Sorry you had to come back :)

Thanks, Smudge's Mom for your thoughts on Mexico vs. Caribbean, & thanks to all the others who also compared the two. The Mexican Riviera sounds like an interesting destination to try after 6 Caribbean cruises. Quite possibly we will prefer the Caribbean but change is good for the soul!! And anytime we're on a ship, especially a Century class ship like Mercury, I guess it doesn't matter where we go -- we're cruising!!! :) :) :)

Archived