HAL cruisetour

PandasRUs

We are taking the Holland American cruise tour #3 in July. We really don't know what to expect. This is our first time to Alaska and the Yukon and our first cruise ever. We don't know what to expect on ship. We are not the adventurous type (for shore excusions). Has anyone done this trip and give us some suggestions?

This is a first time cruise for us and the first time to Alaska. No kids or other family, no one wanted to come with us this year, they are getting older and too much else going on. This is the first time vacation for us by ourselves in a long time. We will be on the Volendam. We really don't know what to expect.Thanks for any suggestions.

We are not on Cruisetour 3, but we are going in June, and now that we are "ready" I can give you a few thoughts.

Once your online forms are available -- they may be already -- download at least one copy, as it will include a detailed itinerary. You will be able to figure out when you have some open time slots, and can then go look at tours for your trip and add some tours (if you want) to fill some of the time. My thought was that we were all the way in Alaska, and didn't want to be sitting in our rooms with nothing to do for a half day here and a half day there. For instance, in Denali we are taking the Tundra Wilderness Tour, but that is the only thing for the one day, and we will be back between 1:30 and 3:30 (depending on when we actually leave) and the rest of the day is open.

Nobody tells you that the Cruisetour has open times for you to fill in if you desire. I don't think you have to consider yourselves "adventurous" in order to take some tours -- these can be ship's tours or private ones. I am sure you want to see some of Alaska and the Yukon, so pick what you want to do and enjoy.

We are taking the Holland American cruise tour #3 in July. We really don't know what to expect. This is our first time to Alaska and the Yukon and our first cruise ever. We don't know what to expect on ship. We are not the adventurous type (for shore excusions). Has anyone done this trip and give us some suggestions?

There is much information available on this board about cruising, excursions, and cruise tours. Just keep poking around and reading and you will learn a lot.

The nice thing about a cruise tour is the tour director who holds your hand and makes sure you get all the information.

I am not sure which number tour it was, but we did the long tour from the Volendam last summer and it was wonderful. Even if you are on the shorter tour much of it will be the same.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/ct.html

Have a GREAT cruise and tour!

Thanks MercedMike, that looks like the same cruise tour we will be on. Were there a lot of people on that tour? How were the accomadations and meals? Looking forward to some great pictures like you have.

We did the #3(M) NorthBound (same as #3) on the Zuiderdam last May. The tour consisted of 40 people or one bus load. (The buses by the way are "coaches" and are very comfortable.) There was another bus #3 on the same tour that went everywhere we did, but we really didn't mingle too much. It was our first and only cruise also. It was really nice having the tour guide make sure everybody was where they should be. All you really have to remember to do is get your luggage outside your room at the right time in the mornings. Our tour guide and two coach drivers were top-notch. They really went the extra mile making it all easy. They also helped if there was a problem with something, if you wanted an additional excursion or if you got ill on the trip (which someone did in Denali).

You travel with the same group the whole time. It was nice getting to know people from all over but there was no pressure to get "too close" if you wanted alone time. I think we had the same car on the trains as well and the only time we did not move as a group was at Denali, where some had different Tundra tour times.

The bus drivers keep you informed of the local history and sights and make every effort to stop for wildlife. Every effort includes backing the bus up 25 yards to find the bear or moose that just went by!

We stopped at all the same ports as this year and that keeps you busy. We thought we had a good taste of the Yukon and Alaska. It is all beautiful. My husband is a big train person and the train rides were a plus. 2 days in Dawson City is nice. We didn't do any excursions there but walked the town and dike a few times and did laundry. We also liked chatting with the locals along the way. (I asked about kids because I think that for most children, this tour might be a bit too much.)

We didn't buy many excursions since the tour itself stops at so many great places. We only planned 2 excursions, both in Denali where we did a flight to the mountain and toured the Jeff King kennels. Both were excellent. Jeff King was especially fun if you are a dog person. I would buy an excursion or two somewhere in Denali, since you have an extra day there. (There's really not much to the town except a few shops.) We had some onboard credit left, so we also bought an excursion in Haines (Skagway day.) A whale watch in a port is not too expensive either. You can buy HAL excursions or find some yourself. There was down time in other places, though we were very happy just walking around or taking a snooze. We're middle-aged and in decent shape, but this helped us to enjoy to it all without getting tired.

The motels are "rustic" in the small towns but nice in Anchorage and Denali. They are all very clean and well-run and all have restaurants. I think they are all Westmark properties so you can see them online if you want. We bought the meal plan so we had to buy food only in Denali. It was nice to know most things were paid for. The menus looked expensive, but on the meal plan an appetizer, entree and dessert are covered. It seemed that most people did not use the plan however and they seemed happy with that choice as well.

We did not get to ride the Yukon Queen, which was a disappointment. The town of Eagle was terribly flooded last spring and the boat did not get running until June. That should be a scenic trip too. It's pretty amazing how HAL finds such interesting ways to get from one place to the next. We had to take the Top Of The World Highway back to the US which was another bus ride, but an adventure in itself!

Our tour included an extra day in Anchorage at the end but rather than do the things Holland America had planned, my husband and I took the train to Seward and did a whale watch there. So we felt like we saw a good chunk of the North and loved it all! So much that we are returning on a longer cruise this week. There is so much in Alaska that many people go more than once. You can never get enough of it. You are going at a time where you may see more wildlife also. And the mountains will be breathtaking. It is nice to have your first cruisetour in America too. HAL is topnotch in Alaska and the Yukon. I feel very comfortable recommending this cruisetour, especially for a newbie. Hope this has helped you. Well got to go--I've got a boat to catch!

Thanks MercedMike, that looks like the same cruise tour we will be on. Were there a lot of people on that tour? How were the accomadations and meals? Looking forward to some great pictures like you have.

Our particular tour had three buses, about 40 people per bus. They arranged things so we did not all hit the small venues at the same time.

Accomodations in the cities were big major hotels, with nice restaurants, pretty much like a major hotel anyplace. In the smaller places they were more like motels, with a small coffee shop, perfectly nice but nothing outstanding.

You will absolutely have chances for some GREAT pictures. You are probably a better photographer than I am so I am sure you will have some wonderful shots. Wildlife, however, is elusive. The only shot I got except for the bus camera at Denali was a picture of the south end of a moose traveling north fast ... :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm still confused by these "cruisetours" and trying to sort everything out. We are a group of 6 that will be doing HAL cruisetour #24 on Statendam, flying into Fairbanks on 7/1. We have 3 days pre-cruise. We haven't received anything from HAL yet as to our flights, etc. but crossing my fingers we don't have long layovers and get to Fairbanks at a decent hour.

So are you saying that whoever is in #24 tour will remain together from the time we get to Fairbanks until we board the ship? Do they assign us a guide or director that stays w/ us? When we get to Denali all the brochure says is we take a natural history tour. Does this mean we are bussed into the park for the tour? I don't know where we will stay that evening either. Day 3 we have am at the park, then we go to Anchorage and stay overnight there. I am not clear as to whether we will be receiving a tour on this 1/2 day or on our own. Day 4 we board the ship.

If anyone has done a HAL cruisetour b4 and can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

As far as the port stops, I am planning my tours there. We will visit Haines, Anchorage, Ketchikan. I have booked the floatplane for Ketchikan.

Anchorage - would probably like to do Mendanhall glacier. Should we just take a bus there and do it on our own or do we need to book a tour? We were considering doing the tram ride but if the weather is not cooperative, then we need another plan.

Any other tips would be much appreciated. Thanks to all.

Mary

Archived