537 members have voted

1. 1. "The MDR can BEST be described as ..."

• Ruth's Chris / Maggiano's
    • Cheesecake Factory / Brio / PFChang
    • Olive Garden / Red Lobster / Tony Roma
    • Applebee's / Friday's / Chili's
    • Denny's / Sizzler / Big Boy

Where did I say it was bad?

I wasn't commenting on your post; I voted for the Applebees category, and was kind of thinking out loud....never had a bad meal there; nor in the MDR. Some are better than others ofcourse.

Mitch

Personally, I think the MDR is generally Olive Garden / Red Lobster with occasional moments of Cheesecake Factory (and sadly, occasional moments of Denny's) in a more upscale environment (except of course for the singing waiters!)

I totally agree with you there. I honestly believe, and this is not a reflection on any individual on this board, that as a society we have lost the ability to really enjoy a refined meal but are slowly, every so slowly regaining it. Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but I have to wonder how many people who have voted on this poll know that a Michelin star has nothing to do with tires, or that James Beard isn't just some guy who's last name is a style of facial hair.

Our local Applebee's is a profoundly awful place.

We have two in the area, one is pretty good. The other is an open-air drug market for the suburban middle class. Great place to pick up some Xanax and Oxy.

I totally agree with you there. I honestly believe, and this is not a reflection on any individual on this board, that as a society we have lost the ability to really enjoy a refined meal but are slowly, every so slowly regaining it. Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but I have to wonder how many people who have voted on this poll know that a Michelin star has nothing to do with tires, or that James Beard isn't just some guy who's last name is a style of facial hair.

We also use our thumbs more now because of xbox and iPhones.

honestly, i don't see how cheesecake factory, changs is any different than olive garden....there are screaming kids everywhere to ruin what ever mood the chain is going for. We favor ruths chris as they are not afraid to tell the parents of the little ones to zip it.

honestly, i don't see how cheesecake factory, changs is any different than olive garden....there are screaming kids everywhere to ruin what ever mood the chain is going for. We favor ruths chris as they are not afraid to tell the parents of the little ones to zip it.

The ambiance is similar but the menu is different. Slightly just less pedestrian the the OG.

I also wonder how many of today's cruisers had the experience of cruising 10 ... 15 ... 20 years ago, when the MDR actually WAS a high-end dining experience, complete with white-gloved waiters serving main courses from a silver platter -- who remember the days when the MDR served steakhouse/supper club quality meals EVERY night ... when the average cruiser wouldn't dream of stepping foot into the MDR wearing shorts, no matter how "dressy" they were.

I know those days are long gone ...

I also wonder how many of today's cruisers had the experience of cruising 10 ... 15 ... 20 years ago, when the MDR actually WAS a high-end dining experience, complete with white-gloved waiters serving main courses from a silver platter -- who remember the days when the MDR served steakhouse/supper club quality meals EVERY night ... when the average cruiser wouldn't dream of stepping foot into the MDR wearing shorts, no matter how "dressy" they were.

Different isn't always bad. I'll happily take today's cheaper fares over yesterday's fancier MDR dinners every time.

Just the fact that Ruth's Chris is on that list is fantasy!!! :eek: and I can NOT believe that some folks think the mdr food is equivalent to that! :eek:

I think it TRYS to be, thats why I voted for #1. The service is similar, but the food quality isn't. If that make sense.

Primarily, I put Cheesecake Factory/PFChangs a notch above Olive Garden because I think their average cost for a meal is a little higher -- and certainly Cheesecake Factory/Chang's is targeting a more upscale clientele based on the locations they choose and the fact that you don't see them advertising to the masses on national tv.

Bottom line for the sake of the poll was that I needed something to represent the "in between" -- better that Olive Garden but not as good as Ruth's Chris, so I chose Cheesecake Factory.

Different isn't always bad. I'll happily take today's cheaper fares over yesterday's fancier MDR dinners every time.

Oh, I'm in complete agreement with you here. I just wish that ONE night during the cruise ONE restaurant for ONE seating could be set aside for people who truly want to get dressed up, and eat a fantastic meal with other passengers who also truly want to get dressed up and eat a fantastic meal. Maybe that's what elegant night in the steakhouse is like (haven't eaten there on a formal night) -- or the chef's table (haven't tried it at all).

Mind you, I'm not trying to take anything away from those passengers who just want a relaxed environment and a good meal -- perhaps I'm just a bit of an old fogey (at 52 years old!!) who would like just a wee little bit more of the dining experience I enjoyed when I first started cruising.

I think it TRYS to be, thats why I voted for #1. The service is similar, but the food quality isn't. If that make sense.

I beg to differ. The service and the ambiance and no where near the two different locations I've been to.

Primarily, I put Cheesecake Factory/PFChangs a notch above Olive Garden because I think their average cost for a meal is a little higher -- and certainly Cheesecake Factory/Chang's is targeting a more upscale clientele based on the locations they choose and the fact that you don't see them advertising to the masses on national tv.

Bottom line for the sake of the poll was that I needed something to represent the "in between" -- better that Olive Garden but not as good as Ruth's Chris, so I chose Cheesecake Factory.

i do see how it would be hard to rank chain restaurants. Can you tell that our last "dining" experience we had screaming little ones near by? If an adult was in a restaurant or the main dining room screaming because he was hungry, they would be booted out, but not the little ones...oh no. Apparently the high pitched wails are not as disturbing to the clientele.

sorry for the rant:rolleyes: I chose 4 because they do offer things that your 3rd choice does not, but neither does the 4th rank from what i have seen. I would not rate it 5 star, but good none the less.

I know those days are long gone ...

I can tell you I haven't. But I've also had the experience of working in one of the greatest foodie cities in the world and eating on expense accounts. ;)

I can tell you I haven't. But I've also had the experience of working in one of the greatest foodie cities in the world and eating on expense accounts. ;)

Great dirty dogs too.

i disagree....wondering if maybe they are better where you are.

Could be that, or could be that I've been to the OG more times than I've been to the Cheesecake Factory and much prefer the three things on their menu I order as opposed to the three things on the OG menu I'll subject myself to.

Could be that, or could be that I've been to the OG more times than I've been to the Cheesecake Factory and much prefer the three things on their menu I order as opposed to the three things on the OG menu I'll subject myself to.

we call it the screamin kindergarten......there is always some precious little snowflake making sure the entire building knows it is there....what is wrong with parents??????

I beg to differ. The service and the ambiance and no where near the two different locations I've been to.

I don't see that. Ruth's C., Nice table, waiter dressed in a tux, restaurant dimly lit with wood accents about and candle (not in MDR), nice table ware, etc. MDR has all that + ocean view. The only difference is that the waiter dance at the end of meal in MDR, people/fellow passenger in MDR very in dress/behavior, and the food quality at Ruth's in much better.

I must not be a chain kinda guy

Never eaten at a Ruth's Chris

Never eaten at an Applebees

Never eaten at an Olive Garden

Never eaten at a Tony Roma

Never eaten at a Applebees

Never eaten at a Big Boys

Never heard of Brio

Never heard of PF Chang

Last time I ate at a Friday's I got sick (but I had a beer there Wednesday:eek:)

Last time I ate at a Red Loster was in 1993 duing the STORM OF THE CENTURY, and refuse to ever go back. I've never seen so much crap in a restaurant.

WHO CARES??

I don't see that. Ruth's C., Nice table, waiter dressed in a tux, restaurant dimly lit with wood accents about and candle (not in MDR), nice table ware, etc. MDR has all that + ocean view. The only difference is that the waiter dance at the end of meal in MDR, people/fellow passenger in MDR very in dress/behavior, and the food quality at Ruth's in much better.

I have yet to be in a dimly lit MDR that was as nicely appointed as RC, nor had the respect of those dining in the room the way RC generally has. I will say the service is comparable, though it's w-a-y easier to get a bar waiter to get you a drink at RC.

Archived