A little help with a ship design, please?

Dear cruisers

I'm currently working on a concept design for a transatlantic passenger ship. I've just put up a blog with a very basic outline of the project, along with a poll to guage public opinion.

I'd really appreciate it if you could take a quick look, vote in the poll and maybe leave a little feedback at this early stage in the design before I develop it completely down the wrong route!

Thanks in advance :)

http://transaxeconcept.blogspot.com/

It looks like a neat design, but it doesn't look like it is going to have enough balcony cabins. It's also going to need a funnel, antennas above the bridge for communication, a radar, and a bulbous bow to make the ship faster & more fuel efficient.

I like the concept of a passenger ferry for transatlantic crossings. Before airplanes, this is how everyone crossed. I think the actual design needs some work, but as I understand it, you are going for efficiency and cost savings. I'd like to see this as a low cost option to travel to Europe from the US.

It looks like a neat design, but it doesn't look like it is going to have enough balcony cabins. It's also going to need a funnel, antennas above the bridge for communication, a radar, and a bulbous bow to make the ship faster & more fuel efficient.

Thanks for the feedback! The lck of balcony cabins is worrying me a little. There are 2 decks of balconies runing forward of the lifeboats right to the front of the superstructure. As the ship will be experiencing some very heavy seas it's just not practical to have balconies any closer to the water than they are now. I was hoping since it is only a 3 day crossing and in quite poor weather a lot of the time that many people would be happy without balconies.

The design involves twin uptakes, split either side of the ship (so the funnel is effictively the upper section of the back 'triangle' if you see what I mean?).

I'm looking into developing an 'axe bow' for the ship, so no bulbous bow. These are starting to come into use in larger offshore vessels, so I am keen to see how it would behave on a ship of this size. An axe bow cuts the water very efficiently in heavy seas and reduces slamming motions considerably.

Thanks again for the comments!

I like the concept of a passenger ferry for transatlantic crossings. Before airplanes, this is how everyone crossed. I think the actual design needs some work, but as I understand it, you are going for efficiency and cost savings. I'd like to see this as a low cost option to travel to Europe from the US.

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you se where I'm coming from with the efficiency side. Whilst I want to keep the costs down I intend for the onboard experience to strongly echo that of a cruise ship.

I wanted the ship to be recognisable (not just another floating apartment block!) so this initial design is very heavily stylised and angular. Maybe it looks a little too agressive? My thinking was that it needed to look like it could take on the atlantic!

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to vote in the poll so far :)

It would be great if you could leave any feedback as comments on the blog. I'm trying to get a wide range of people to see the design before I progress with it (I figured CCers might be a bit biased towards the option of a ship, even though that's what I want to hear!), so different people could bounce off eachother's ideas if they are posted there.

Again, thanks for the help with this. I hope it's not too off-topic for these boards :rolleyes:

Aaah, I've just realised that you have to sign in/login to comment on the blog (too much hassle)! I'm new to the blogging thing.

So if you do have any comments it would be great if you could post them here. I'll keep a record of what people are saying and maybe post a summary on the blog later.

I know you guys don't benefit from helping and giving your time, but it's so great to see people interested, and the feedback I'm getting is very valuable! It is much appreciated :D

Dear cruisers

I'm currently working on a concept design for a transatlantic passenger ship. I've just put up a blog with a very basic outline of the project, along with a poll to guage public opinion.

I'd really appreciate it if you could take a quick look, vote in the poll and maybe leave a little feedback at this early stage in the design before I develop it completely down the wrong route!

Thanks in advance :)

http://transaxeconcept.blogspot.com/

Are there any floor plans?

I think it needs to LOOK like a green product. Maybe visible solar panels or wind turbines? Personally I'd only choose this method of transportation if it were significantly more fuel efficient than airplanes. It would be nice if one could guess that just looking at the ship.

I wanted the ship to be recognisable (not just another floating apartment block!) so this initial design is very heavily stylised and angular. Maybe it looks a little too agressive? My thinking was that it needed to look like it could take on the atlantic!

I like the aggressive styling.

Are there any floor plans?

I'm currently working on the floor plans in AutoCAD. It's difficult at this stage as the hull form hasn't been finalised, so I'm not 100% sure of what size/shape spaces will be availbale for accommodation in the bow area.

I'll be adding the first version of the floor plans to the blog hopefully within the next fortnight (or sooner if I get carried away!)

I've just added the basic layout of the smallest cabins in the design (Inside 2-berth at 69sqft). I know this is very small, but for the design to make economic sense there need to be a large number of these smaller rooms. Let me know what you think!

Archived