Weak Drinks

BosoxI

Seriously folks? You think that bartenders, bar backs, Princess itself opens up bottles of booze, pours half out and puts water in it?!?!

They are measured pours! With large amounts of mixers. Order straight drinks or "splashes" if you want. Watch when they make your drink. There is one shot in them with a bunch of juice.

And the martinis are deceptively small. But I know that going in. There's no way I could drink the number of martinis at home that I do on the ship. It's a jigger and a half. I poured that into my smallest martini glass at home and it didn't fill it.

I agree that the drinks don't have a lot of alcohol in them but they are NOT watering down the bottles!! And wine? You really think they water down the wine?!?! Come on.

Either stay with beer, or wine (the un-watered down kind) they open at the table, or a straight up drink.

Many of the comments seem to assume that it's only a problem with "foo-foo" drinks. Here's the deal -- I ordered a Brandy Manhattan (requested a premium brand to boot) and got "soda pop". A Brandy Manhattan is alcohol (brandy and sweet vermouth) and nothing more. It does not come on the rocks, etc. The drink I got was watered, i.e., it had water in it, and it in no way tasted like any Brandy Manhattan I've ever had. And believe me, I've had more than a few in my time.

I think it's difficult for some of us to easily accept that the drinks may be watered because we're on vacation and it's a time to have fun and be happy and we don't want to put out negative vibes. Tipping the bartender extra or adding in your own alcohol begs the question. Princess isn't really serving alcoholic drinks, but they sure are charging for them. I'll be sailing Princess in the future, but I won't be ordering their "booze".

Debbie

Why should they do anything about the situation when on the last cruise there were loads of first time cruisers who don't know any different & will buy the drinks regardless of how bad they are. They're making a ton of money serving fruit juice drinks with hardly any alcohol. It's a good business.

Also I think that most people expect that when they buy a drink at a restaurant at home or on a mass market cruise line that the drinks are going to be weak.

Oh:eek: What a waste of fine tequila to use in a mixed drink.

That stuff is made to drink alone and savored.

Mike:)

Don't worry, that's what i am doing right now as I type! I just figure that if I travel, I should bring along something good and this brand of tequila is just as good if not better than some of the more expensive Patron stuff.

Let's do a little rough math here-

5 princess margaritas- $40

5 Virgin margaritas ($3?)=$15 + $30 bottle of quality aged anejo Tequila, with as many shots in your drink as you want=$45.

Plus you still have a lot of good tequila left over- which sounds better to you?

And, I guarantee you that the stuff Princess uses is pretty poor quality stuff, like the stuff that comes in a plastic bottle at the super market.

I actually did this on the Dawn Princess a few years ago, ordered virgin drinks, then dumped two ounces of quality tequila into them. Maybe I was on to something? CCL only gives you like a $1 reduction in price for mixed drinks. That's fair as their drinks have maybe $.25 worth of alcohol in them.

pour a small shot, not just Princess. Many on shore port bars really don't give an honest drink. If they are weak, I send them back and demand that they put more liquor in them and watch them as well. I have done the same on board and not had a problem.

Archived