Help with Flaam please

StLucia

We are going on Ventura in June visiting Flaam. We are planning to take go on the famous railway. Can anyone who has done this help me with answering a few questions.

Would we be best buying our tickets in advance?

If we do buy in advance what time train would you suggest we go for, we don't really want to get caught up in the P&O tour rush but don't want to risk rushing to get back to the ship

What amount of time should we allow in Myrdal before the return train to Flaam, is there anything worth doing/seeing there.

Is it worth going to the hotel to get food/drink or would we be better in Flaam.

Sorry for all the questions but I've tried asking on Tripadviser and not really getting the info. I need help from those who have done this before.

Thanks in advance.

We are going on Ventura in June visiting Flaam. We are planning to take go on the famous railway. Can anyone who has done this help me with answering a few questions.

Would we be best buying our tickets in advance?

If we do buy in advance what time train would you suggest we go for, we don't really want to get caught up in the P&O tour rush but don't want to risk rushing to get back to the ship

What amount of time should we allow in Myrdal before the return train to Flaam, is there anything worth doing/seeing there.

Is it worth going to the hotel to get food/drink or would we be better in Flaam.

Sorry for all the questions but I've tried asking on Tripadviser and not really getting the info. I need help from those who have done this before.

Thanks in advance.

Janet,

Hello we have been on the train, what we did was we bought the tickets online before we went, reason for this is that alot of people go to the station when they arrive and book. They do have so many seats and when the excursions go there are alot of the carriages which are pre-reserved.

We went on the first train out not sure of the time know it was a while ago.

We went up and then had about 1 hour before we caught the train back down.

Make sure you get out at the wateralls they are fantastic and look for the maid of the mist!!!!!

Hope you enjoy,

Rex

Hi Rex

I did think of booking online but its much more expensive, it actually works out the same price as the P&O tour. We did think of joining the tour but like you we prefer the flexibility of doing in on our own. I wondered about taking the train in the afternoon as all the tours go in the morning.

Any advise from anyone who has done this trip would be appreciated.

Janet

I did Flaam last year. :D We got off the ship early and bought our tickets for the first train. The ship's tours used later trains. I'm not sure how busy the afternoon trains get............but Flaam seems to be very poplular with tourists! :eek:

Have you checked to see whether any other ships are in the day you go? This might help you make a decision as to whether to DIY, book in advance or do the ship's tour. ;)

We didn't stay at the top............when we went in early June it was pretty cold at the top, instead we took the same train back...........I think we had about 10 mins to have a quick look around and take a few snaps...............and got off the train at Lunden and took a pretty walk back to Flaam. :D

It's an amazing trip! :)

Thank you MrsTW. All the ships tours are fully booked now so that's not an option. There is another ship in, the Costa Atlantica, which is why I have been exploring booking in advance. I like the idea of the walk back. Is it well signposted? I've checked again about buying the tickets in advance but as well as being more expensive online they have to be picked up at the station, I'm not sure this will save a long queue. I wonder if your idea of an early train might not be the best option. Maybe someone else will know if its better to go in the afternoon.

You've a nice long day in Flaam so plenty of trains! Personally I would get off the ship early and go to the station and buy tickets for whichever train you fancy. ;)

When we got off at Lunden we just followed the narrow valley road keeping the railway to our right. :) You can't get lost as the road/railway leads to Flaam. :D

We were at Flaam 2 years ago. You can see the station from the ship, just a few minutes walk away. We got off early and bought our tickets at a fraction of the cost of organized tour. If you are over 60 be sure to ask for discount. We caught the first train and actually carried the "maids of the mist" up with us, so didn't see the show until on the way down although the train does stop both ways. Sit on the right hand side going up for the best views.

Go early, as coaches arrive in Flaam from all over Norway during later morning with people for the train journey. I do have the timetable at home, but am away at present so can't help more. I would certainly recommend the train journey, its well worth doing. We went in May and the snow was on the mountains which meant the waterfalls were in full flow. Incidentally, we were very fortunate as we had wonderful weather.

St. Lucia, you're on the same cruise as us. Due in Flaam on 15th, we're going to be anchored as MSC Orchestra will be taking up the Quay point.

Hopefully we can beat them to it and nick the quay berth..

Scrozuk

Thank you all for your help. From another post I've read we may not be able to dock as Costa Atlantic may get there before us. If we tender tours will get off first and we wont be able to get off the ship in time for the early train, so I'm not sure it would be a good idea to book that in advance. Also I understand if you book in advance online the tickets have to be picked up at the station, so will that save queuing. Maybe the best idea will be to see what happens on the day!

Janet

Archived