Orphanage... Roatan

MIAMIMEDIA

As a part of our tour we can go to visit an orphanage.

I am a teacher and have schools supplies I can take the students.

Will Celebrity allow me to take a small box (12 inch long 4 high) of school supplies off the ship??

Has anyone done this before?

In July 2008, my husband I went sailed on Freedom of the Sea and took a ATV tour in Montego Bay. During this tour we went by a one room school on top of a moutain called the Mt. Zion School. The tour had stopped to take photos and I asked the guide if I could go into the school. (I LOVE CHILDREN) and I just couldn't help want to see it. I fell so deeply in love with the children (mostly barefoot, yet in goverment issued uniforms) and the charm of their headmaster. That night I told my husband we had to take our teenagers to see this school and make something wonderful happen. The next day we booked passage for the six of us for a sailing 6 weeks out. We told the kids when we got home and they called everyone they knew and started gathering school supplies and crocs (we decided crocs would be the best shoe because fit is usually not an issue) We met with the ships purser during our sailing and got her email address, so that when had the final supplies together for the new sailing, she was going to help aid us through customs. We traveled on that trip with 9 very large duffle bags and the ships purser arranged for transportation to pick us up at the dock and take us to the school. (at our expense) Customs was detailed, yet because they were expecting us, I believe as easy as it could have been. I have never seen more gratitude on the faces of any children when we got there. They knew we were coming because sent a message via the ATV tour company and they tour company forwarded us a wish list via email. They had prepared songs for us and wrote letters of gratitude. Best experience of my life. We visited again one year later this time with a small amount of supplies, yet is was so fun to see all the bright colored shoes. A little more worn, but loved and cherished. What more could you want?

TX-Cruiser, WOW, such a wonderful show of Kindness from your family, may that same good deed come back to find you one day!! So impressed by the trouble you went to; I think 2 suitcases are impossible sometimes, but, 9 large duffels, truly kind.:p

DH and I and another couple did this several years ago. We had more than one box (way more LOL), so we had to arrange in advance with the cruiseline. They, in turn, helped us arrange with the local customs officials. We had to provide a detailed list of everything we were donating (make several copies) for everyone's records. Once onboard, contact the officers again- through the purser- and give them a copy of everything being donated (and whether you'll need help taking it off, etc). They'll tell you the current procedure. Right after docking at Roatan, we (and all our "stuff") met with customs and the ship's officers (in one of the ship's office/meeting rooms) and were able to watch the whole "meet and greet" between the ship's company and the local officials. Very interesting- passing back and forth of lots of papers, manifests, pastries, coffee, etc!

Eventually, everyone turned to us with stern looks, checked over our lists and looked briefly at the pile of supplies. The local customs agent stamped our papers, came over to us and thanked us for helping her country. We were then permitted to carry everything off the ship, where a driver hired by the orphanage took us there for a tour, etc.

There were some restrictions on what we could bring; I don't remember whether this was the cruiseline's or Honduras's restrictions. For example, prescription meds, fresh food, cigarettes, etc. School supplies were OK.

With one small box, you may just be able to carry it off without "papers" (we did have to show our stamped papers when leaving the secure area- but we had a lot of stuff, so it was obvious we weren't just going snorkeling!) Maybe just put that box in a large beach bag?

As a part of our tour we can go to visit an orphanage.

I am a teacher and have schools supplies I can take the students.

Will Celebrity allow me to take a small box (12 inch long 4 high) of school supplies off the ship??

Has anyone done this before?

Which orphanage do you visit? We know of another one in Roatan (Besides the one posted with web address here). :)

Many of my fellow co-workers have been very kind and given me plenty of school supplies from their classrooms. I think we will be probably doing 2 small to medium boxes that will fit in our HUGE beach bags (to avoid all the paper work). My gratitude to all of you for sharing your experiences.

I hope to teach my children some gratitude and humility and help children at the same time.

Thanks

This might have already been mentioned, but don't forget to contact the orphanage well in advance about your visit. They may be able to set up transportation for you from the dock to their facility and ask if you could have a tour of the facility. Also, they might need something specific that you wouldn't think to bring (as long as it fits into that huge beach bag!). For example, the orphange we visited asked for small paper cups (to dispense medications- they also ran a clinic): I remember bringing a huge pack from one of the warehouse clubs- light-weight but very awkward to carry onboard and store in the cabin- it barely fit under the bed.

Archived