what to wear on the boat

skoolbusdrvr

Leaving June 9 th. on the Dream for a 11 day cruise, what kind of clothing do you need for on the boat? Being June can you wear summer clothes? is it warm on the ships? i'm from Florida so have not experienced much cold weather. would capris be ok and summer blouses? i know we will need winter clothes for off the boat.

They tend to keep the ship warm enough. If there is a covered pool, you'll be able to make use of it. We were wearing jeans and t-shirt for most of our shiptime. That being said, when you go out on a balcony or on deck to do viewing, it will obviously be colder (even colder than in port because of the wind). Assume that the entire trip (land, sea, and ports) will be about dressing in layers (t-shirt, longsleeve shirt, sweatshirt, fleece jacket, non-bulky lined jacket to cut the wind, raingear) and that you will simply be wearing whatever layers are appropriate for the weather at any given point. We also brought a couple of pairs of shorts in case it got warm (and it did). Other than dinner attire (dressy casual, formal) appropriate for a cruise, I wouldn't factor in cruise-attire as distinct from port-attire.

Leaving June 9 th. on the Dream for a 11 day cruise, what kind of clothing do you need for on the boat? Being June can you wear summer clothes? is it warm on the ships? i'm from Florida so have not experienced much cold weather. would capris be ok and summer blouses? i know we will need winter clothes for off the boat.

Hi!

Alaska is a destination defined by great beauty - and variable weather! I have worn shorts in Skagway in mid-May (don't count on duplicating that one) and been buying fleece in Denali in mid-August (glad it was on clearance!).

You will be in sweaters and costs at a glacier face or on the open deck with the ship at speed. Plan for the possibility of rain, especially if you will be in Sitka.

All that being said, plan for weather that can range from early Spring to Summer and you will be covered. If you forget anything, you can always grab it in port (it might cost a little more but you can't bring your whole wardrobe!).

Have a great cruise! Alaska is one of those destinations you want to return to as soon as you leave it!

Last year was the warmest spring and summer on record for alaska. We also dressed in layers, and took most of them off, especially in the towns. On board, if you like to be out, a thin sweater would be great because of the breezes. As others have already said, it is so unpredicatable, so bring all the layers and then you can work it all out. Definately leave the heavy stuff at home.

Archived