Questions???

mechcc

We are interested in exploring the possibility of a cruise with Seabourn but have a few questions.

1. Web site says tips are not expected or required but how about tipping for room service and above and beyond service? Is it acceptable to tip extra to your cabin steward? How about giving an extra tip to a favorite bartender? And if you find a dining steward that sees you coming and remembers you like unsweetened tea? How about spa services? Are there places on board where tips are expected and are extra tips acceptable?

2. Food - where would you rate the food overall? Is it equal to Ruth Chris, better or worse?

3. Beverages are free but there is a big differnces in cost of different quaility, so is there extra charges for say Kendall Jackson versus Opus One?

Thank you!

Doing a Forum Search will highlight several discussions a b out tipping. Here's one link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1110916&highlight=tipping

I find Ruth's Chris a marginal steak house, but I live in Philly where they abound. (I do love their barbecued shrimp appetizer, however.) The food on Seabourn is infinitely better. I find Seabourn beef excellent and adore their lamb chops. With advance notice, you can have chateaubriande for two prepared. Or anything else you might want.

There are some separate wine selections for purchase and lots of discussions abut them as well. Again, a Forum search will be a good starting point. There are some wonderful oenophiles here and they will be sure to chime in.

I always give a donation to the crew welfare fund.

I tip in the spa as they are a seperate set up,being a consession.

Food is equal to good restaurants on land but not Michelin star restaurants.

Wine is a personal thing and you will probably find wines that you like from the selection that is offered.

I buy the gold wine package and also buy wines from the extensive list,but I am very fussy about wine,although I do sometimes find something that I like from the inclusive selection.Opus one is available onboard but there are others that I prefer.

I agree that making a contribution to the crew's welfare fund is the altruistic thing to do. I don't--but do tip our cabin staff, a favored bar tender, a maitre d' who gives special service. I admit that the act of tipping is gratifying for me. But it also is a direct reward for performance rendered, while a contribution to the crew fund is, for the individual crewmember, an abstraction.

On Seabourn food-- there aren't many restaurants where you would eat breakfast, lunch and dinner for a week or more and not have a quibble or two. I think the food is too bland, but I believe that's purposeful and based on the age of the passengers and presumptive diet restrictions. But Ruth Chris is no threat to Seabourn. As to wine, I find the house wines often mediocre, and I nurse the resentment of believing that Seabourn could easily go to the next level without spending very much more. The wine list is extensive, but the markups--as compared to retail in the U.S.--are on the high side. There are at least three Michelin-starred restaurants in New York which have consciously kept their wine prices at no more than 2x or so compared to retail. Although champagne prices suffer no such limitations. What's the cost comparison to retail pricing in the U.K., m'lord?

What's the cost comparison to retail pricing in the U.K., m'lord?

The prices onboard are a little high for some wines but I have occasionally been surprised at some wine which is very good value by comparison.

Certainly the prices are not above what I pay in a restaurant but retail is always cheaper.The mark up in the UK for wine served in a restaurant has traditionally been 3x retail.

The gold package has been good value and having six bottles of Chateau Giscours from it proved to be excellent value,but I have been told that this wine is no longer included in the package,now I wonder who drunk it all and killed the golden goose.;)

Archived