Help! Less than two weeks for figure out logistics on an Alaskan cruise

Rudebob

I don’t know if it was the best decision or not, but because of some good last minute rates and a rare window of opportunity in our personal schedules my wife and I just booked an Alaskan cruise that leaves in less than two weeks. All other cruises in the past I have booked with enough time to sufficiently research all aspects of the trip. Having never done Alaska before (I am more of a Caribbean fan) I am starting from ground zero on coordinating the logistics of this trip.

I am not concerned about tours as I have a pretty good idea what we want to see/do. However, I was hoping someone could help me with some insight on pre/post cruise logistics and save me the headache of searching and wading through numerous threads.

This close to the trip I am not concerned about sightseeing (plus there really is not much time) but just getting to and from the airports. Basically, we are scheduled to fly into Vancouver the afternoon the day before the trip. We fly out of Anchorage very late the evening of our final cruise day. I am basically asking for advice on the best way to stay one night and get to the cruise terminal in Vancouver, and for recommendations on traveling from Seward to the airport in Anchorage. The train, if I interpret the schedule correctly, is not an option to make our flight in time. Any thoughts or recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

‘bob

In Vancouver, we used the Canada Line to get to the hotel, which was a 4 block walk once we got off. I think a taxi was about $40. We took a taxi to the pier and it cost us $12 but once again, we could have taken the Canada line and it drops you out right by the ship. We arrived the evening before and had time to sightsee that evening and morning.

We stayed just outside of Downtown, on Broadway. The view from our balcony was a lovely view of downtown. we took a taxi to Stanley park that evening, walked the parimeter and had dinner downtown. Then in the AM, we were a mile walk to Granville, checked out their market, had breakfast and walked backed before noon checkout.

In Vancouver, a lot of people seem to recommend staying in the downtown area. That is what we will be doing in July. If you go to Priceline and bid on the downtown district for a 4 star hotel, you may be able to get a good deal, see http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=166&. There are some recent winning bids for around $78.

To get from Vancouver hotel from airport, you can take the $8 Canada Line public transportation (apparently very nice and easy), or you can take a taxi for around $35. From the downtown hotels, it is about $10 taxi to the pier.

We will be staying at the Hyatt Regency downtown Vancouver which is about 5-6 blocks to Canada Place where we sail from. There are many downtown hotels very close (walking distance or inexpensive cab ride) to the pier. An idea of your budget could help with recommending a hotel.

I have seen many people recommend taking the Canada Line (rapid transit) as it is very convenient airport to downtown and inexpensive. There would be many more options for sightseeing and dining downtown rather than staying by the airport. Many an easy walk.

We have the train transfer arranged through the cruise line but the other options were the bus or renting a car. The transfer arranged by the cruise line leaves just after disembarkation (maybe your cruise line has a similar arrangement?)

There are a number of shuttles/buses from Seward to Anchorage, here are a few (google for more):

http://www.sewardbuslines.net/

http://www.sewardalaskabus.com/

http://www.sewardalaskatransport.com/

Hertz rent-a-car is in Seward and rents one-way (pricey):

http://www.rentacaralaska.com/

In Vancouver, we stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle in the downtown area, and were able to walk to the cruise terminal. There were several other hotels in the immediate area. I recommend that area highly because it is so close to the cruise pier. The Marriott was only about 3 blocks from the cruise terminal. If you can comfortably manage all your luggage, it's a great option for getting to the cruise terminal -- level ground, wide sidewalks, etc.

If your flight home from Anchorage is very late in the evening, I am not sure why you don't feel that the train from Seward to Anchorage is a viable option. Your cruise should dock in Seward early in the morning which should allow you plenty of time to make a late night flight out of Anchorage. Recheck the railroad schedule to see when the trains leave and when they will arrive in Anchorage. The train ride shouldn't take more than three or four hours and from the railroad station in Anchorage taxis will be available to transport you to the airport. If you are still concerned, however, consider purchasing the cruiseline's transfers to get you from the ship to the airport.

Vancouver has any number of great hotels in the downtown area, most of which are quite close to Canada Place (some within walking distance and most only a short cab ride away. If you check out the Vancouver airport website you will probably find out what options are available for getting from there to your hotel.

Enjoy your cruise and don't let concerns about getting to and from the ship worry you.:)

Thanks for everyone's help and the link to betterbidding. Got a pretty good deal on a hotel in Vancouver through priceline. Have yet to figure out all transportation logistics but clearly there are a lot of options and a taxi when all else fails.

'bob

In Whittier why not a Princess transfer to the airport. They told us that we could go downtown and be picked up later for our flight.

As for Vancouver we used the Canada line and walked less than a block to our hotel and 4-5 blocks down hill to the port (stayed at the Hyatt Regency)

...We fly out of Anchorage very late the evening of our final cruise day. I am basically asking for advice on the best way to stay one night and get to the cruise terminal in Vancouver, and for recommendations on traveling from Seward to the airport in Anchorage. The train, if I interpret the schedule correctly, is not an option to make our flight in time. Any thoughts or recommendation would be appreciated.

In Vancouver, train from airport to downtown would be cheapest way although taxi is more convenient (door to door) for about $35.

As for your return from Seward, the cruise ships often run a special early morning train (called the Grandview train) directly from the Seward pier to the Anchorage airport. It does not show up on the regular train schedule and is not widely known. In fact, we found out that some of the cruise line personnel did not even know about it.

Although more expensive than a bus transfer, it is a far more scenic and comfortable ride and a most convenient way to get from the pier at Seward to the Anchorage airport. It would get you to Anchorage with plenty of time to catch an afternoon or evening flight out. You can find some info about it at

http://cruises.about.com/od/alaskacruises/ig/Alaska-Railroad-Train/

The cruiseline contracted train leaves Seward at about 8:00am right next to the ship and arrives right to the door of Anchorage airport at about 11:30am..your flight needs to be no earlier than 1:30pm this has to be booked directly with your cruiseline as part of their transfer option..This was one of the highlights of our entire cruise..hope you will be able to have this option..Enjoy !!!!

I don’t know if it was the best decision or not, but because of some good last minute rates and a rare window of opportunity in our personal schedules my wife and I just booked an Alaskan cruise that leaves in less than two weeks. All other cruises in the past I have booked with enough time to sufficiently research all aspects of the trip. Having never done Alaska before (I am more of a Caribbean fan) I am starting from ground zero on coordinating the logistics of this trip.

I am not concerned about tours as I have a pretty good idea what we want to see/do. However, I was hoping someone could help me with some insight on pre/post cruise logistics and save me the headache of searching and wading through numerous threads.

This close to the trip I am not concerned about sightseeing (plus there really is not much time) but just getting to and from the airports. Basically, we are scheduled to fly into Vancouver the afternoon the day before the trip. We fly out of Anchorage very late the evening of our final cruise day. I am basically asking for advice on the best way to stay one night and get to the cruise terminal in Vancouver, and for recommendations on traveling from Seward to the airport in Anchorage. The train, if I interpret the schedule correctly, is not an option to make our flight in time. Any thoughts or recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

‘bob

Ramada limited on pender street is within walking distance of Canada place if you are in shape.

Archived