Salerno

Mrs. Mac

We will be on the Century porting in Salerno in September. Is Capri doable from there or should we focus on closer towns? Any experience/suggestions from this city?

Kim

Yes, it is. You'd need to get to Sorrento for the ferry, which takes about 15 mins to get to Capri.

Don't know about trains, there's rail stations in Salerno and Sorrento, but at a guess it may involve a change.

By road Sorrento is under an hour from Salerno by the quickest route, but it'd be daft not to go at least one way along the spectacular Amalfi coast - this will add about 15 mins to your journey time by car. Local bus along part is another option, though will add a lot to the journey time.

Another option is the Amalfi coastal ferry to Capri. Well, they call it a ferry :D

Its fairly frequent, you can join it from various places along the coast, certainly from Maiori/Minori (about 12 miles out from Salerno) or Amalfi or Positano. Mebbe even from Salerno??? If it doesn't take too long.

Sorry, can't remember timescale for that ferry - took it from Amalfi to Capri, guess that bit was 30 to 50 minutes???

But do go one way by the Amalfi coast road, which has elevated views.

There's a lot of permutations for Salerno/Capri, you should get a varied & interesting round-trip out of it, and the journey will be every bit as good as the destination. And it'll cost peanuts by train/bus/ferry.

Alternatively, Pompeii or Herculaneum are under 20 miles & pretty certain there'll be direct trains.

John Bull

Yes, it is. You'd need to get to Sorrento for the ferry

No, actually, you do not. There is a ferry from Salerno to Capri, but the current schedule only shows two per morning, so you won't have much in the way of choice.

Here's the schedule: http://www.salernostazionemarittima.it/Inglese/Orari_trag4_sett08.htm

And more info is available on the Salerno Port web site: http://www.salernostazionemarittima.it/Index_eng.htm

No, actually, you do not. There is a ferry from Salerno to Capri, but the current schedule only shows two per morning, so you won't have much in the way of choice.

Here's the schedule: http://www.salernostazionemarittima.it/Inglese/Orari_trag4_sett08.htm

And more info is available on the Salerno Port web site: http://www.salernostazionemarittima.it/Index_eng.htm

Well-spotted, E/C. And that's not the little one that I had in mind

("you can join it from various places along the coast, certainly from Maiori/Minori or Amalfi or Positano. Mebbe even from Salerno???" )

But I stand by my guns about going part-way along the Amalfi coast road, the view from the sea doesn't match it. Since the quoted ferry return times may not suit back-on-board time, perhaps back Capri/Sorrento/Amalfi/Salerno ?

Regards,

JB

Betty, I can't answer your specific quesiton about ramps on the Eavbus, but it the public buses in Rome are any indication, even if they have a ramp I wouldn't count on it working.

The good news is that Sorrento has fixed taxi fares. A taxi ride from the marina to Piazza Tasso is set at 9 Euro; especially if you are traveling with one or more others, the cost isn't that much different, and it will be so much easier by taxi.

Sorrento taxi fares can be downloaded here: http://www.comune.sorrento.na.it/sorr/internet/AeS/manager (click on effettua download, near the bottom of the page)

euro cruiser - Thank you for the info. Sounds like a bus line in Paris where we watched five buses come and go, each with a broken ramp.

The link would not work for me. I even tried just the website and got the standard “The webpage cannot be found.” Will check again later, the web may be down.

I did get a response (finally) from the Sorrento bus company advising that the bus is not wheelchair accessible. And, I did find a website for a taxi / tour company that maintains they have a vehicle that will accommodate two handicap at the same time. Most taxis cannot transport both scooters at once. At present, I am waiting for a response from Costa to see if there is a shuttle bus or if the beach elevators are open to the public.

Betty

0082.gif

John Bull – Would you happen to know anything about the EAVBUS in Sorrento? I have been attempting to find out if the city bus from the Marina to Plazza Tasso is wheelchair accessible.

Betty

Sorry, Betty, I don't know either. I'm guessing you're already aware that their website has a mobility page under construction. .............. they're a big & well-structured company, can I suggest you e-mail your query to servizigenerali@eavbus.it

I'd have thought they could probably read & reply in english if your italian is as poor as mine & your favourite italian restaurant can't help.

Mebbe an e-mail in simple english followed by a freebie translation from a website such as http://www.appliedlanguage.com/free_translation.shtml to show willing & to enable the recipient to pass it to someone appropriate

JB

I am on the Century 12 June and I was told that there is hydrofoil service from Salerno to Capri. In fact Celebrity's shore excursion leaves at 7:30 on a hydrofoil from Salerno.

I will report back when we get home.

JB - Thanks for the input. Like you, I assumed mobility was in reference to something with wheels only to find out that it is in reference to cell (mobile) phones. But I still check out all “mobility” in reference to transportation; one never knows what one will find.

Betty

Archived