Weather in August on Baltic Cruise

I too would love to hear people's experiences with August Baltic weather, as we will be on an August 2010 Celebrity Constellation sailing. Specifically, will it be too cold to have a comfortable breakfast on an Aft balcony?

Thanks,

Leslie

I too would love to hear people's experiences with August Baltic weather, as we will be on an August 2010 Celebrity Constellation sailing. Specifically, will it be too cold to have a comfortable breakfast on an Aft balcony? Thanks, Leslie

On "average", you should be "fine" in August. Here are some temperature examples. You might need a jacket and/or being in an outside area of the ship where the wind doesn't get to you too directly. We were in the area in late July and early August. We ate breakfast many times on the back of the ship. Enjoy the Baltics so very, very much!!!

Copenhagen, 7-27: Sunrise 5:08 am; Sunset 9:23 pm; total 16h, 15m. Average temperature comparisons:

May: 49/45 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 69/55 °F

August: 69/54 °F

September: 62/50 °F

St. Petersburg,

June: 67/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 66/54 °F

Stockholm,

May: 60/43 °F

June: 69/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 69/55 °F

September: 59/48 °F

Below are a couple of visual samples for the outdoor buffet that we enjoyed mid-day on our ship. With luck, you'll be able to enjoy things in August while sailing the Baltics.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Our cruise ship, Crystal Symphony, did an outdoor Asian buffet to a grand scale and with great taste, variety:

1A-SeaDays-Buffet-Asian.jpg

1A-SeaDays-AsianFoods.jpg

as we say so many times, try doing a 'search' for the particular info you want and you will be amazed at how many times that very topic has been discussed already. I believe in the past 2-3 pages alone there are several threads about the weather and clothes to bring.

Anyway, I'll go thru it once again, as I always enjoy helping new comers to our site.

I sailed last year, mid August (14-26) and you definitely could feel Autumn in the air. We had just glorious weather for our entire trip, with no rain and only one partly cloudy day, but that is unusual. But the change in Temperature is not. Sure you can encounter a sort of 'heat wave' but, for the most part, plan on mornings being fairly cool that you will need some sort of windbreaker/light jacket. If the sun comes out, it will warm things up where you can take the jacket off and shirt sleeves will be fine. If you encounter a nasty day, you might need another layer, like a sweat shirt. I believe this will be the norm thru out most of the crusie, especially if you are doing a cruise later in the month.

The days on the ship will even be chillier. We are not sun people, and usually look for a nice shady place to sit and relax. Not on this cruise. Everyone moved whatever chairs or lounges around to find some spot in the sun for warmth. If you have a balcony you will need a nice warm jacket if you plan on using it, especially in the evening. This is one crusie a balcony is really not that desirable. We had one very windy day on a sea day, and it was hard to even sit outside, unless you were able to get out of the wind./

What I suggest is to being a light jacket, a good solid sweat shirt. Forget all shorts and opt for jeans, no sandles as many of the streets are cobblestone and good walking shoes are a must.

Hope this helps

Here a a few of my pix to show you how some of the magnificent weather we had

In Copenhagen, a church not far from the pier

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe351.jpg

In Tallinn, a Russian influence church

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe566.jpg

In St Petersburg, some of the smaller buildings at Peterhoff

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe718.jpg

Over the tree line, some of the spires of the Church of the Spilled Blood

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster656.jpg

In Helsinki, the Uspensky Orthodox Cathedral

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1135.jpg

In Stockholm, the bridge that leads to the Vasa Museum

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1235.jpg

Cheers

Len

In the Baltics you really need to be prepared for any type weather. We sailed last summer August 4th-14th and had incredibly warm weather apart from a rainy day in Gdansk and a cool day in Oslo. Many of the days were in the mid 20s Celsius and we were definitely wearing shorts and tshirts.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

For information on weather in a specific city, I always go to Weather Underground, website is wunderground.com From the drop-down menu with the title "Travel and Activities" choose "Trip Planner," then enter the name of the city, e.g., Stockholm, Sweden, and the dates you plan to be there. I always include a few days before and after a one-day stop, to get a better average. When you then click "submit" you will be given the actual weather in that city for those dates over the last five years.

The only Baltic city I have not found on this site is Rostock, but I figure it's close enough to Copenhagen to have an idea.

Have a great trip!

For information on weather in a specific city, I always go to Weather Underground, website is wunderground.com From the drop-down menu with the title "Travel and Activities" choose "Trip Planner," then enter the name of the city, e.g., Stockholm, Sweden, and the dates you plan to be there. I always include a few days before and after a one-day stop, to get a better average. When you then click "submit" you will be given the actual weather in that city for those dates over the last five years. The only Baltic city I have not found on this site is Rostock, but I figure it's close enough to Copenhagen to have an idea. Have a great trip!

This is a great website. You can also used their site to look back at last year's weather for a specific date that matches when you will be there this year. That "history" is nice to know for what happened, plus the averages for that date in that town.

http://www.wunderground.com

As an example for Copenhagen where our upcoming cruise will depart, I pulled up this info:

On July 1, its average high is 69 and a low of 55, record for this date, 75 high, 48 low. Sunrise/Sunset: 4:30 AM/9:55 PM. Latitude: 55.6° N.

Lots of info available for this site.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Bring an umbrella or a rain jacket. We had a couple hours of rain in Stockholm and in Copenhagen. The weather was great when we were in St. Petersburg. We were told by the tour guide that we were lucky. It rained the day before.

Archived