Montevideo?

jettman

We have noticed that most of the itineraries include Montevideo as a port of call. We are considering a cruise itinerary that does NOT include a stop in Montevideo. What are we missing by not visiting this port? Would we be missing out on anything special?

Thanks!

If you like great scenary or lots of wildlife, you will not be missing much. There is lots of older buildings with interesting architecture. Great place to buy leather goods. There are also excursions in land to wineries and cattle ranches for a taste of that kind of life.

Wayne

Montevideo is in the process of refurbishing their downtown area where the ship docks. There are many vacant buildings and the local police are on every corner to make sure you are kept safe in these areas. It's much nicer once you get in after about a 10 min walk. They have a daily market of street vendors, some interesting architecture (look up not just street level) and a small but interesting gaucho museum. There is also a bustling grilled meats market a block from port that has about 50 small restaurants like a gigantic food court (but all independent) that is is wonderful to be in at lunch with all the locals but awfully bare late afternoon. We enjoyed just hanging out and people watching.

Of all the ports on our Santiago - Buenos Aires trip, Montevideo seems to have the least to offer in terms of interesting places to visit or sights to see. Unless I'm missing something?

The guidebook I have (Lonely Planet) suggests a couple of museums and catching a #18 bus to get to the best beaches. It also says that you can eat very inexpensively there, but that's not a big draw to those of us arriving by ship, where we can eat mostly free.

We may go to the museums, grab snacks, and people watch. Sandy beaches are not a draw for me, as I don't sunbathe and I prefer to swim in a pool.

Taxis, like restaurants, are supposed to be very inexpensive. Most of their meters don't work, so the drivers often consult a chart to figure out how much to charge.

check daily schedule, if on Sunday, forget it....most of city was closed,took cab to leather shop and spent way to much due to boredom.Then had taxi take us on city tour,for agreed on price...seemed somewhat old and run down...one of the few places I could have missed with no regret...hope that helps....;)

I thank Sargent_Schultz for an appetizing assortment of Montevideo scenes. We are thinking of taking a South American cruise back to Fort Lauderdale and the 42-day itinerary includes Montevideo. We have been to Buenos Aires before so we kind of know what to expect. The other alternative that would get us to BA is a somewhat shorter version which skips Montevideo but adds Punta del Este. I expect the latter to be a high-class resort town; decades ago it was the host city for all kinds of diplomatic negotiations.

I thank Sargent_Schultz for an appetizing assortment of Montevideo scenes. We are thinking of taking a South American cruise back to Fort Lauderdale and the 42-day itinerary includes Montevideo. We have been to Buenos Aires before so we kind of know what to expect. The other alternative that would get us to BA is a somewhat shorter version which skips Montevideo but adds Punta del Este. I expect the latter to be a high-class resort town; decades ago it was the host city for all kinds of diplomatic negotiations.

Punta del Este is a BEAUTIFUL place with gorgeous beaches, beautiful houses, amazing nightlife and great people.

You should chose an itinerary with Punta if possible, especially during January or February.

If you end up going with MVD, still a nice place, kind of like a smaller/quieter version Buenos Aires (since you've been there you might be able to get an idea of what I mean). I grew up in MVD and think there are nice places to see and do, but would not consider it a must.

Here are lots of pictures of some of what we saw:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/splendor09/mv/mvindex.htm

Thanks for posting the pictures! I noticed on one of the beach pictures a sign for Punta Gomensoro. Were all the beach picutres from this location?

We are in port from 8-6 and might like to go to a local beach for a couple hours in the afternoon. I had read about Pocitos and Malvin Beach. Anyone have any recommendations?

(I don't want to go all the way to Punta del Este)

Thanks!

We enjoyed having one day in Uruguay. We walked up to the center of town and people watched in the squares. I was impressed that the office workers were much more formally dressed, black suits, heels for women, than we saw in Buenos Aires. The gaucho museum was interesting. Later in the day we visited the market restaurant area with the grilled meats and enjoyed some local cold beer. The cooks were friendly and were happy to pose for photos with their grills, even though we weren't eating.

Thanks for posting the pictures! I noticed on one of the beach pictures a sign for Punta Gomensoro. Were all the beach picutres from this location?

We are in port from 8-6 and might like to go to a local beach for a couple hours in the afternoon. I had read about Pocitos and Malvin Beach. Anyone have any recommendations?

(I don't want to go all the way to Punta del Este)

Thanks!

I would go to Pocitos, it's a much nicer area and you can find great spots around to have lunch, walk around the rambla, or have some amazing ice cream. Go around the area of La Rambla y (and) Br. España.

I will warn you that the water is unfortunately nothing like the Caribbean (in case you've cruised there and can relate), although the water is amazing in Punta del Este but it would take you a couple hours each way to get there, and you would miss Montevideo.

We have noticed that most of the itineraries include Montevideo as a port of call. We are considering a cruise itinerary that does NOT include a stop in Montevideo. What are we missing by not visiting this port? Would we be missing out on anything special?

To be honest, when we chose our particular SA cruise itinerary, we didn't really consider the Montevideo port of call as a factor in making our decision. However, the day we were there, we had a WONDERFUL time.

Some of our roll call members got together for a private tour that included the city highlights and a trip to the countryside for a winery tour. Our guide did a great job of making the city come alive for us - the history, the economy, the politics. On our way to the winery, she told us all about Uruguay's agriculture and wine production. (The wine was quite good. DH's only regret was that he didn't buy more.) Back at the port, we concluded the tour by walking across the street to the Mercado del Puerto to sample the grilled meat.

The private tour (and getting away from the city) seemed to be what made the difference. Back on the ship, we talked to some who had taken a ship's excursion and others who had gone on a self-guided walking tour and they didn't seem to have had as enjoyable a day. To be fair, we visited on Inauguration Day for Uruguay's new president and many of the streets were blocked off for the ceremony. This didn't stop our small tour (the driver just parked a few streets away and we walked) but may have slowed down the larger ship's tours.

Now that sounds like out kind of day. Do you recall the name of your tour guide? At the winery were they able to ship some home to you or was it only what you could purchase and carry?

We booked the tour through Real English Tours. Their website is http://www.realenglishtours.com/ . I corresponded mainly with Liz Cowley who can be reached through the "Contact Us" page on the website. Susan was our guide.

To arrange the tour, I contacted Liz and told her what we wanted to see and how many were in the group. Our group wanted the city highlights and winery tour (including the wine and cheese tasting). Another group from our roll call arranged with Liz for a half-day walking tour followed by a visit to an estancia (which included a wonderful lunch from the estancia's grill). The other group from our roll call also gave rave reviews about their experience.

You can learn more about the winery here: http://www.bodegabouza.com/index_eng.php. I remember hearing that they export to the US but I think it's a limited amount to a few stores. I don't remember whether they will ship some home to you.

I would go to Pocitos, it's a much nicer area and you can find great spots around to have lunch, walk around the rambla, or have some amazing ice cream. Go around the area of La Rambla y (and) Br. España.

I will warn you that the water is unfortunately nothing like the Caribbean (in case you've cruised there and can relate), although the water is amazing in Punta del Este but it would take you a couple hours each way to get there, and you would miss Montevideo.

Can you give me an idea of how long a taxi ride and estimate of the cost? I understand the water won't be "blue" but is it a nice beach area? Would you recommend we just stay in town?

Thanks for your advise!

Can you give me an idea of how long a taxi ride and estimate of the cost? I understand the water won't be "blue" but is it a nice beach area? Would you recommend we just stay in town?

Thanks for your advise!

A taxi ride should be 10-15 minutes at most from the port, and I don't think it will be more than $10. Uruguay is not expensive at all for tourists from the US and Europe, since the Uruguayan peso is very cheap in comparison to the $ and €.

I do think it's a nice beach area, especially the boardwalk (rambla), more than the beach itself. If you have the time I'd say go, woth seeing.

I will have to try to locate those brain cells. :o As it was, I scrambled to put some labels on what I could remember/research. I'll take another look at them this weekend (maybe?).

Thanks for the info! If it's a nice day we will take a walk around the area.

Archived