LAX 10 hour and 36 hour layovers

paulred

We have two layovers in LAX as part of our travels. On the way to Australia from Toronto, we have a ten hour layover. On the return, we are taking a cruise to Mexico and have a 36 hour layover until the cruise.

Any suggestions for ways to fill the time at either stop. ( yes, we will take a hotel on the return trip)

Are there day lockers at LAX?

Thanks fellow travellers.

Paul

There are no longer any luggage lockers anywhere at LAX. You might check to see if you can get a "day" rate at one of the many hotels around the airport. I am not aware of any, but there could be some. A ten hour layover is probably too long to qualify for a day rate, but another possibility might be one of the airline's "Lounges" - it would be a bit more comfortable than just wandering about. Good luck....

There is at least one luggage service http://laxluggagestorage.com/. I have not used them. Have you confirmed with the airlne(s) that you cannot check your bags onward when you arrive from Oz? 10 hours is a long time, so it may be beyond the max, but worth checking, especially if you purchased the tickets together as a through itinerary. Remember, when you arrive at LAX you'll need to go through Immigration, get your bags, go through Customs, and then either give your bags to an airline rep at a transfer desk (if you can check your bags onward), or go meet the luggage service. Also need to allow plenty of time on your return, especially if you need to check your bags. And you need to take rush hour traffic into account. So you could end up with far fewer than 10 hours free. I've not been to the flight path museum at the far side of LAX (I think you'd need to take a cab). The world class Getty Art Center, in Brentwood, and Santa Monica pier area probably too far for your 10 hour stop, but worth a thought during your pre-cruise stay. Sony Studios, which has tours, is in nearby Culver City. The Petersen Auto Museum in West L.A. looks interesting. Hard to say what's feasible without knowing what the hours involved are, and wheter you'll rely on public transportation (parking can be pricey at LAX hotels, but you could rent one for a day). In the airport itself, the Encounter restaurant in the landmark spider-shaped buiding in the middle of LAX is kind of retro and kitchy, but we enjoy eating there (great place for watching planes). Lots of hotels near LAX. We just got the 4-star Sheraton Gateway for $70 throough Priceline, and that's during a peak period.

FYI, there is a sticky thread on the Flyertalk forums on what to do during long LAX layovers. Find the "California" forum, then the "Los Angeles" sub-forum and you will see the topic.

I recommended to friends they take the Big Blue Bus into Santa Monica. It's a direct route so no stress over transfers. They had a great time, it also goes by the In-n-Out Burger next to LAX which is a destination for many people transiting LAX.

Archived