June 17 Vancouver-Vancouver- Anyone going?

Travelingsoon

We are getting off when you are getting on. I can't wait--less than a week til we leave for AK. We are doing Denali first and then sailing from Seward to Vancouver.

So far, we have made reservations to do several SS excursions:

Ketchikan - on our own

Sitka - Otter and whale tour

Skagway - Train/bus trip

Juneau - Mendenhall and whale watching

Victoria - Butchert gardens

How about you guys?

Ketchican - Misty Fjords by Floatplane

Sitka - Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest

Skagway - White Pass & Yukon RR

Juneau - Harv & Marv's Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier

Victoria - ?

Was thinking about renting car and spending all day in Victoria. Any interest?

Ketchican - Misty Fjords by Floatplane

Sitka - Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest

Skagway - White Pass & Yukon RR

Juneau - Harv & Marv's Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier

Victoria - ?

Was thinking about renting car and spending all day in Victoria. Any interest?

We did the Shadow in Alaska last season. I can highly recommend the Misty Fjords by float plane! We also really liked the photography whale watch and hike. We saw dozens of whales and got a lot of help with photography tips and tricks from our guide.

Thanks, Chicagogal. Any other thoghts or ideas on what to see. How was the ship especially food.

All we just returned from the Vancouver to Vancouver trip that ended June 3rd. It was a magnificent trip - both in terms of the the shipboard experience and the outdoor panoramas and activities.

For tours - we did a hybrid of ship planned excursions and ones we booked ourselves. We took the Silversea - Juneau through the lens tour and had a wonderful trip (10 people) with an excellent photographer - David from Gasteau Guides. We went to the Mendenhall glacier and then on a small boat to search for whales and other wildlife. My husband the photographer really enjoyed it and so did I with my little point and shoot camera.

In Skagway we also took a Silversea tour - Wilderness trek. It was one of the best trips we took while in Alaska. I would recommend this one highly. We were taken by boat to Glacier Point and then a short bus ride to an inland staging area we we were outfitted with lifejackets and warm jackets and wellies before boarding large canoes (10-15 passenger) to go to the Davidson glacier and lake. You don't need to paddle for long as the canoe has a motor - but it was fun to use a paddle for a little while. The glacier was amazing and we were able to get very close and walk on the silty beach created by the glacier. The naturalist was terrific.

In Ketchikan we booked a trip directly with SeaWind Aviation for a floatplane to Misty Fjiords. Steve Kamm was terrifc and we loved being able to land and get out on a floating dock for a few minutes to take pictures and experience the calm and quiet of the area. The floatplane on the ships tour doesn't give you the chance to get out to take photos - only to step on the pontoons.

The last trip we booked was in Victoria where we went whale watching with Eaglewind Whale Watching. We went out on their Goldwing boat and it was wonderful. Dave was our captain and he was fantastic in getting us to the whales and sharing his tremendous knowledge of the whales and area. What a treat it was to hear them calling to each other. This boat is fast but very comfortable and large enough to move around in.

We had amazing weather - sunny and warm (mid to hi 70's) nearly every day. We were able to get closer to the Sawyer Glacier on the Tracey Arm day than they had been all last year. It's truly a remarkable site - get up early and dress very warmly!!!

Glad to answer any questions that come along.

Have a wonderful trip - Alaska is amazing and so is the Silversea experience!

Barb

We're on that trip.

So far we've booked two independent tours (both independent)

Juneau: Heli + Dog Mushing

Skagway: Tukon Pass RR

We might also be able to squeeze in a trip to the Mendenhall Glacier, using the "Blue Glacier Express bus).

Buchart Gdns (Victoria) also looks easy and worthwhile.

I'm optimistic that we might see whales from the ship / other times. Other than the two bokked tours we may well change our minds.

Steve

Hi there

also going on this one, which will be our very first time at sea on a cruise. We decided there was no point in starting with anything but the best (*grin*). From what I've read Silversea is pretty good.

Looking forward to meeting some newbie and experienced cruisers.

Matt

Archived