Another Victory Review & Pictures May 16-23

Havinsnest

We paid two different prices at the Sheraton; different rates each weekend. I wondered if it was since one weekend was only one night ($179) while the first was two ($149). I had found it at $119 but I didn't book it - some kid needed something and we loaned them money. By the time I looked again the price had gone up. :mad:

Just drove through Waxahachie twice this weekend. Our lake house is on Navarro Mills and we get there via Italy. Love Conquest. We have another cruise booked on her in late December.

You might also have had different rates because one was a Saturday and the other was a Sunday. Typically Saturday's are more expensive in the hotel industry. We definitely want to fly in a day in advance, hopefully 2. We even thought about taking a flight with stops in either Miami or maybe even Chicago. They are MUCH cheaper, though MUCH longer. Kinda odd to go from DFW to Chicago to Puerto Rico. I wish that the Conquest didn't go to Jamaica, there has to be somewhere else it can go. I loved Grand Cayman and Cozumel, though. We stayed on the ship in Jamaica which was great too. I bet the Victory is going to be exhausting! We just need to tell ourselves not to do EVERYTHING. Thanks for the info on the Sheraton! Also, forgot, in pictures of the Sheraton there are two cruise ships in the background, is the Victory within walking distance?

Great review! I loved the photos! Sorry about your thumb. Sounds like you had a wonderful time in spite of the injury! Your DH is a real keeper! Sounds like your DS has a great role model as to what a good husband is!! Congratulations on the beautiful ring set and congrats on your DS's wedding!!

You might also have had different rates because one was a Saturday and the other was a Sunday. Typically Saturday's are more expensive in the hotel industry. We definitely want to fly in a day in advance, hopefully 2. We even thought about taking a flight with stops in either Miami or maybe even Chicago. They are MUCH cheaper, though MUCH longer. Kinda odd to go from DFW to Chicago to Puerto Rico. I wish that the Conquest didn't go to Jamaica, there has to be somewhere else it can go. I loved Grand Cayman and Cozumel, though. We stayed on the ship in Jamaica which was great too. I bet the Victory is going to be exhausting! We just need to tell ourselves not to do EVERYTHING. Thanks for the info on the Sheraton! Also, forgot, in pictures of the Sheraton there are two cruise ships in the background, is the Victory within walking distance?

Weirdly, the Sunday night one night was more expensive than the Friday and Saturday two night before the cruise.

We are not a fans of Jamaica either but we love Conquest, Cayman and Coz.

The Sheraton is across the street and about 1/2 block from the Cruise Terminal. We took pictures of Victory from our window and from the pool area at the hotel and so did others from our roll call.

From our room:

Cruise%20-%20May%2016%20-%20Wedding%20Day%20%20%284%29.JPG

From the pool area: Cruise%20-%20May%2016%20-%20Wedding%20Day%20%20%286%29.JPG

Fantastic review, Havinsnest!

I really enjoyed your story and your pictures. Glad that your thumb is healing. Congrats on the marriage. Your husband is a good man for getting you those rings.

I have never been on the Conquest, but so far, the Victory is my favourite ship, especially the ceiling in the atrium. All that green... my favourite colour!

Thank you very much for sharing!

What a Hoot!

I am so impressed to find someone else who knew Pete, Pam, Ricky, Holly and little Sue, I can't hardly stand it! My mom ordered those books for us like a book of the month club and my dad would read them to us before bedtime (one cliff hanger chapter at a time) until we got old enough to read them ourselves.

I still have some of the books but my cousin has the entire 33 book set. :)

Glad you liked the review. We had a ball but it took the 3 day weekend to recover from it.

GASP!!! You remember their names??!! :eek: :eek: That is a RIOT!!! :p

(BTW...just out of curiosity, I wonder if the 33 volume set has value? Have they ever looked into eBay or such?)

I had no idea The Flying Nun was set in Puerto Rico. I loved that show, wonder where I thought it was?

question about the luggage, do you have to walk it all the way down the pier or all the porters at the front of the pier? I've read that people just drop off their luggage and then go roaming around San Juan until time to board.

Our flight would be $20 cheaper to go the day before but the room rate would be over $100 so no savings there. However, I am thinking we may go the day before just for peace of mind even though it is non stop and only 2 hours.

Question about the luggage, do you have to walk it all the way down the pier or all the porters at the front of the pier? I've read that people just drop off their luggage and then go roaming around San Juan until time to board.

We walked everything across the street and down the block. The porters were at the front of the pier and we handed everything off to them.

*I* would feel better with a S&S card in hand before I went to wander the area.

GASP!!! You remember their names??!! :eek: :eek: That is a RIOT!!! :p

(BTW...just out of curiosity, I wonder if the 33 volume set has value? Have they ever looked into eBay or such?)

What can I say? I am a nerd with a great memory for trivial things. :o I can even tell you that Joey Brill was their antagonist.

Last time I looked the full set was selling in the $500 range. My cousin is a teacher and she has her set of books in her classroom for kids to read. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Great review! I'm glad you mentioned the train tour in St. Kitts - I was considering doing it when we're on Victory in October but was ho-humming about it. I'm going to show my hubby your photos when he gets home - I think that'll convince him!

Great review! I'm glad you mentioned the train tour in St. Kitts - I was considering doing it when we're on Victory in October but was ho-humming about it. I'm going to show my hubby your photos when he gets home - I think that'll convince him!

We are doing itinerary soon, and will post my full report upon return. The St.Kitts train is already booked for us (late 40's) and my parents (late 60's) so I will take plenty of photos, and record lots of details. I also collect all the "carnival Capers -"FunTimes", menus etc. so will post upon return.

Kathy your review was wonderful and your photo tour exceptional. Congratulations on all the good that has come your way......My dh and I took our first cruise (our honeymoon) on the Victory May 12th 2002. She is naturally our favorite!! We loved the Ionian Bar simply because it was across from the MDR and an obvious choice before and often after dinner. The dining rooms upper deck alway felt open. Loved the sea horse stools at the main lobby bar. Just the best food and the crew. Have been on many cruises since but the Victory will always have a special place in our hearts.

Later,

Rhonda aka mucklucks

Kathy your review was wonderful and your photo tour exceptional. Congratulations on all the good that has come your way......My dh and I took our first cruise (our honeymoon) on the Victory May 12th 2002. She is naturally our favorite!! We loved the Ionian Bar simply because it was across from the MDR and an obvious choice before and often after dinner. The dining rooms upper deck alway felt open. Loved the sea horse stools at the main lobby bar. Just the best food and the crew. Have been on many cruises since but the Victory will always have a special place in our hearts.

Later,

Rhonda aka mucklucks

Thanks for a seond opinon on positive post-we ealve Sunday and can only hope for such a good cruise as you both experienced.

I too will post a review upon return with photos.

• 10 months later...
How bizarre. I put it on here but I guess it didn't take.

Let's try again.

Can you say Exhausted???

cruisemay22st-marteen1_thumb.jpg?w=404&h=565

cruisemay22st-marteen2_thumb.jpg?w=404&h=271

We got off the ship, saw Chris and Tasha, sat with them and shared some stories of our week (haven’t seen them much) and then they went back to the ship.

cruisemay22st-marteen14_thumb.jpg?w=404&h=271

cruisemay22st-marteen12_thumb.jpg?w=404&h=271

We wandered around town for a while (bought Katie a gift), took a few pictures and then we headed back to the ship as well. Pretty much this was our trip to St. Maarten. Not terribly exciting but exactly what we needed.

st-maarten.jpg

Phillipsburg_St_Maarten.jpg

We enjoyed a quiet day of reading on the balcony, eating one last turkey sandwich, enjoying the hot tub, taking a nap, leisurely packing and then going to dinner and the Legends show.

Tomorrow, once we get Chris and Tasha to the airport, we have a car reserved to do some more site seeing in Puerto Rico.

Good afternoon,

As I sit in my office trying to focus and eagerly counting down the days until I cruise onboard Carnival Victory (for my 30th birthday), I did some searches came across your review of your trip and I just want to say thank you (even though it's more than a year later).

I enjoyed every moment of your trip, narrative, and PHOTOS (I love photos!) - I felt like I was right there.

I sure hope that by now your thumb has healed, Congratulations to you son and his wife, and congratulations on your new rings.

Happy traveling!

I will look to you for guidance on where to next! This will be my 3rd cruise (second with Carnival) and I learn more and more that cruising is THE BEST way to go on vacation.

Any other recommendations?

Archived