Tips for Those Using Rent-a-Wreck in Juneau

tee_harbor

I had a near miss with a Rent-a-Wrecker in downtown Juneau today, so I thought I'd pass on a little tip.

Their new location is much more convenient to the docks, but does mean you have to navigate the narrow crowded streets to get the heck out of Dodge.

I live here and still end up white-knuckled if I have to drive downtown when there's a lot of ships in town. Once you pick up your car, you immediately have to drive South Franklin, with many tour buses clogging the streets, delivery trucks double-parking, and of course, the tourists. Not realizing their ship didn't dock at Main Street, USA, Disneyland, they feel free to walk down the middle of the street, or stand in the street to take photos, or suddenly jump off the crowded sidewalk to pass other rubberneckers.

I was going through the round-about that routes drivers from South Franklin onto what becomes Egan Expressway. I'd guess most tourists aren't expecting a round-about smack in the middle of Juneau so be ready.

Incoming traffic from South Franklin is supposed to yield to cars already in the round-about, which was me. And here came the Rent-a-wrecker, easily identified by late model Ford Taurus and the two sweet-looking white-haired ladies in the front seat with terrified expressions.

After finally yielding, she got on Egan and became a driver in the mode of wherever she was from, that is, lead-footed and weaving around the slow drivers in the left lane.

Not that I blame her frustration with that, but another thing to bear in mind is that Alaskans are generally safe but poor drivers. Although they're experienced with adverse conditions, they're used to rambling along in their own little bubbles. Egan Expressway's been open in Juneau since the 70's and drivers still go all the way to end of the merge lanes, sometimes stopping if no one else has made a three mile long opening for them. :rolleyes: So if you're from one of the aggressive, defensive driving states, perhaps take a moment for a deep, calming breath before pulling out of the Rent-a-Wreck parking lot.

She got her wake-up call when she managed to see the State Trooper with his radar gun before she blew past him at 70MPH! Another vacation saved!

Yes, absolutely! Juneau near Rent-a-Wreck and Anchorage coming out of the airport with jet-lagged visitors driving newly rented cars are 2 places to get religion.

Thanks for the warning. You will likely save someone......an accident or at least a ticket.

Archived