Fashion advice

Ryancoke

Could some of you sharp dressers that I see around the ship help me out? I inherited a real good set of gold cufflinks. I wear them with my blue blazer/charcoal grey slacks. And so far shirts of white or white with thin blue or grey stripes. What other colors of shirts would go with these? My ties are generally red/white/blue, grey/burgundy, blue/burgundy, with a burgundy (I kinda like burgundy) or white hankie. At a men's wear store I was recommended tan but I don't want to buy a whole bunch of new ties or would my old ones work?

Also with these cufflinks came a COLLAR CLIP which took me a few months to figure what it was. Looks pretty '30s-'40s:cool:. But not all collars would seem to work. Or does it just seem like it because I'm not used to it? Should I just go for it because who would be the wiser? In films the collars frequently seem pulled tight when these collar clips or pins go on.

You are fine - the only people that give a rip are the fashion police. and they only exist on the Cunard boards. As long as you are comfortable with your appearance, I'm sure you will be better dressed than 90% of the passengers, given that you are meticulous enough to even ask the question. You will have a great voyage.

Gold goes with all colors. As long as the shirt has French cuffs, it is appropriate for gold cufflinks. Ties can be any color or print pattern. Cuff links are generally considered dressy, so you probably would not wear a "casual" tie -- knit or very bold graphics -- with cuff links. Otherwise, anything goes and is appropriate. I can't help you with the collar clip; I always wear shirts with button-down collars, which are not appropriate for a collar clip.

As others have posted French cuffs are a must. I would stay away from the tan. Takes a very partucular coloring for that not to make one drab looking.

I like the mix of a white collar and a stripped body, white cuffs, if you want something special.

As to the collars. most of the newer shirts have a shorter collar that will looked very pinched with the collar pin. When this was popular the collars were a bit more generous.

French cuffs are most appropriate for the informal evenings and of course formal not so much for elegant casual.

Archived