Alaska Railroad -- GoldStar or Adventure?

lucy1234

One more thing I need to decide for this vacation:

We are going to take Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Seward. There are 2 kind of fare:

GoldStar :$130

Adventure : $75

Any one have experince with GoldStar? $55 is worth the money?

We'd like to take pictures during the train. I see "Private outdoor viewing deck" on GoldStar, it will be good for take pictures.

Is Adventure good enough for this purpose?

If the train is full, you will want the Goldstar. The reserved seating is worth it. The trip is about 5 hours. The train slows down or stops for really good views and for big animals. You don't want to be in a crush of elbows and people who feel very important.

One more thing I need to decide for this vacation:

We are going to take Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Seward. There are 2 kind of fare:

GoldStar :$130

Adventure : $75

Any one have experince with GoldStar? $55 is worth the money?

We'd like to take pictures during the train. I see "Private outdoor viewing deck" on GoldStar, it will be good for take pictures.

Is Adventure good enough for this purpose?

We booked Goldstar for priority seating, better viewing, and more comfortable seating! We hope the extra $ it is worth it too!

Although we've never been on this train, we've booked the Gold Star service from Anchorage to Seward for this July. The trip is supposed to be the best scenery on the entire Alaskan railroad:D and it's a "once in a lifetime" journey for us so we're springing for the extra bucks. Who knows if we will ever get another chance again, so we're going for it - it's only money and it just might be one of the highlights of our trip!:) Besides, I'm trusting Penny Again's advice...she used to live in Alaska so she oughta know!;)

Cruisin'Mama

I booked Goldstar mostly because we are doing the Kenai Fjords tour and we are not suppose to get back to Seward until 5:30 so I figured we would be late boarding the train and did not want to be stressed about getting a seat in the Adventure class. But like the OP said, this is a once in a lifetime trip for us, so why not spring for a little extra money for some things.

My family be going from Anchorage to Seward in a few weeks, and we have chosen Goldstar service. We utilized Goldstar two years ago from Anchorage to Fairbanks, and it was very nice. The food will be much better in Goldstar than Adventure class, if you plan to eat breakfast. The seats are more comfortable and provide a better view. We did enjoy going out on the viewing platform to take photographs. For us, it's an easy decision. The money difference is not that great when you consider the length of the trip.

Goldstar was primarily designed for the tourist trade but the views are the same either "Adventure class" or "Goldstar". Think of it like paying for first class on a plane. The seats are wider, you get fed, but the plane still goes to the same place.

Thanks for your input. You are correct, it maybe our once in a lifetime trip.

Do you know do I need to buy/book ticket right now? I am going on Aug 6.

First timers here, organizing our own landtour before cruise.

If you are using this trip to get to a cruise for departure, then I would guess it might fill up faster than if it was a non-cruise day. We are trying to get all the crucial, have-to, transportation legs booked ahead of time so we know our timelines work, and we can relax and think of other things like. . .packing!

We decided to do Adventure class for Fairbanks to Denali and Goldstar for Anchorage to Seward. Cheaper upgrade, had a 50% off deal for the basic Fairbanks leg, and the reviews for the scenery up through the mountains on the Peninsula.

i have a silly question -- i apologize if it is answered somewhere else but i have not found it yet :).

we are independantly taking the train from seward to anchorage. where do they drop you off? i know there is a stop at the airport but it may only be for passengers who booked directly through their cruise lines. if not there, is there a seperate terminal downtown? how long of a taxi ride is it from the terminal to the airport if this is the case?

Thanks in advance for any information.

We went Adventure class a couple of weeks ago. The seats were comfortable, the views great, however food expensive and limited in choice (we should have brought our own) and no outdoor viewing deck. But it did look pretty cold outside and the deck crowded when we saw it. At the end of the day, as DH likes to say, we all got there the same time! If I could do it again, I would choose Adventure class again and save that $55 each for something else!

Even in steerage we had assigned seats. If the train is empty, you can sit in one of the steerage class dome cars for the entire journey - otherwise you rotate.

Everything is expensive in Alaska, except maybe snow. I think my chili on the train was about $6 or so and a tasty snack. The salmon was more in the $25 range, but GF liked.

Here are pictures from our Seward-Anchorage run (starts about pic #359

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalSpirit/Alaska/Anchorage/page2.htm

I didn't try for outdoor viewing, but it might have been possible between cars.

Thanks for your input. You are correct, it maybe our once in a lifetime trip.

Do you know do I need to buy/book ticket right now? I am going on Aug 6.

Hi,

We are already booked Goldstar on this train.... on the Girdwood - Seward leg. Suggest you book it asap as my advice was that this books up fast.... are you boarding Radiance on the 6th?

Even in steerage we had assigned seats. If the train is empty, you can sit in one of the steerage class dome cars for the entire journey - otherwise you rotate.

Everything is expensive in Alaska, except maybe snow. I think my chili on the train was about $6 or so and a tasty snack. The salmon was more in the $25 range, but GF liked.

Thanks, I really enjoyed looking through your pics!

If we take the train to Seward 2 days before our ship departs, will the train be fairly empty or is this a normally full train at all times? Just wondering if we'll be able to move around for pictures on both sides of the train.

We just returned and thoroughly enjoyed the Goldstar service on the Coastal Classic from Anchorage. We walked through the entire train and were less than impressed with Adventure Class. The upper deck viewing in Adventure class cannot compare to the Goldstar dome car. The outside viewing area was fantastic and we used it often.

I will try to attach some photos from our train ride.

20100606_54.jpg.d2fcaf4701e36e3bebbef5133ff72f94.jpg

20100606_1.jpg.b003ea63a65e3a95ffe8d6e01bd04adf.jpg

We just returned and thoroughly enjoyed the Goldstar service on the Coastal Classic from Anchorage. We walked through the entire train and were less than impressed with Adventure Class. The upper deck viewing in Adventure class cannot compare to the Goldstar dome car. The outside viewing area was fantastic and we used it often.

I will try to attach some photos from our train ride.

[ATTACH]158461[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]158462[/ATTACH]

Hi Paylady,

Thanks so much for your review! We booked the Gold Star service for July 8 and it's good to know that we did the right thing. I mean, really, who knows if we will ever do this again?:confused: And for just a few dollars more!:rolleyes: Especially when you compare it to the mega bucks that we're laying out for our second Alaskan cruise!:p This very well could be one of the highlights of our southbound cruise.:D

Cruisin'Mama

If we take the train to Seward 2 days before our ship departs' date=' will the train be fairly empty or is this a normally full train at all times? Just wondering if we'll be able to move around for pictures on both sides of the train.[/quote']

The train will not be 'fairly empty' during tourist season. You can move around but there will be many passengers.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I am taking the Goldstar train from Anchorage to Seward. We will be staying 2 nights in Seward before our cruise. While in Seward we are doing the Kenai Fjords tour too.

What kind of camera do you have? A digital SLR?

Thanks, I really enjoyed looking through your pics!

Thanks for posting the pictures. I am taking the Goldstar train from Anchorage to Seward. We will be staying 2 nights in Seward before our cruise. While in Seward we are doing the Kenai Fjords tour too.

What kind of camera do you have? A digital SLR?

Excellent set of photos. Thank you!

You're welcome. Not a DSLR. The camera on that trip was one of the super zooms - a Sony DSC-HX1. It does have some interesting and unique features.

I have since added a Panasonic FZ35 which I think is better overall.

we are independantly taking the train from seward to anchorage. where do they drop you off? i know there is a stop at the airport but it may only be for passengers who booked directly through their cruise lines. if not there, is there a seperate terminal downtown? how long of a taxi ride is it from the terminal to the airport if this is the case?

Is the ANC airport train station is used for anything anymore? I've never seen a train in it....

Anchorage has a train depot. It s right next to the Anchorage Downtown

Comfort Inn. You can find that on Google and see how far it is to the Airport.

I have a RR-related question and don't know if it is worthy of its own thread, so please excuse the threadjack.

I used the Alaska RR site to buy tickets for the Anchorage to Seward run. I got a confirmation screen on the website (which I printed) but did not receive an email or anything from the RR folks. Is that typical? Should I be concerned? I figured I would just take my printed confirmation, but I don't want to get there and discover there was a mixup and we have no ride to the port.

Thanks!

I had the same problem; I e-mailed them and they very quickly sent over the 'official' confirmation document.

I don't think it would have been a problem without it, but it is comforting to be able to see the reservation is correctly recorded.

Archived