Time to put this rumor to rest - Tier level requirement changes to C&A

We agree! But still think this would be a fair plan and would easily be doable. You evidently have excellent sources so perhaps what is now Diamond would become Platinum Plus and everything else shifted accordingly.

1. Everyone will be grandfathered in their present status. No one will be demoted.

2. A new tier called Diamond Royal or Diamond Elite will be created. Probably at what is now 50 cruise points.

3. Computation will change from cruises to cruise days. Double points will be given for full suites. Juniors Suites will get 1 1/2 points. Solo cruises paying the full rate will get double points.

4. The new criteria will be Platinum 35 points, Diamond 84 points, Diamond Plus 175 points and Diamond Royal 350 points. Looking at this criteria in seven day cruises Platinum would require 5 seven day cruises, Diamond 12, Diamond Plus 25 and Diamond Royal 50.

4. All future advancement will be made under the new criteria. Cruisers who gained Diamond status based on 10 three-day cruises, would be grandfathered as Diamonds, but would only have 30 points. A long way from the 175 required for Diamond Plus.

Don Pedro, I think Royal should hire you and place you in charge of correcting all the inadequates of the current system. Your reasoning makes perfect sense to me. You've obviously given this a great deal of thought over a long period of time. Unfortunately I don't have too much confidence in the current people entrusted with that responsibility.

There will be another level added between Platinum and Diamond. Called Platinum Plus. I have no information about a level being added higher than Diamond Plus. Just that the credits will be raised to achieve that status.

They're also discussing the increased levels above D+.. One option they're looking at is creating "karat" levels.. Diamond Plus 1 karat, 2 karat etc. Of course each karat would have additional benefits.

RCCL has been analyzing each C&A member's onboard spending patterns and overall cruise history for years now. They have also sent out several surveys asking C&A members to evaluate their program versus the other lines and as Kewlguy has mentioned several times... more changes ARE coming.

I figure no matter how they make their Diamond/Diamond + changes, someone will get burned.

We - for example - have 8 cruises under our belts. We always do 7-day cruises and usually do one per year. At this rate, we hope to be Diamond in 2012. Our first cruise was in a JS - but that was before they gave you an extra credit.

If they change it in January, then obviously we'll have to just wait until whenever we reach whatever the new tier change is.

And if trying to obtain Diamond status suddenly seems unattainable, then it will be easier for us look at other cruise lines when it comes to booking time, you know?

We're taking a beach vacation later this month for about a week on the Texas Coast and paying nearly the same thing we'd pay for a 7-day cruise -- so either way, cruising is still the best deal out there!

Ann

I have been reading all the speculation about the potential change on 1/1/11 to C&A cruise credits. I have been looking for an example or remedy on how RCL would address this, book a 3 night cruise on Majesty on 1/14/11 in the Royal Suite for 2 for a total $3552.42 (current system 2 cruise credits) or even a Grand Suite at $2052.42. If I decide to book a 7 night cruise on the Freedom that sails on 1/2/11 in a Q interior for 2 with a total cost of $1361.70 (current system 1 cruise credit) that would be a difference of $2190.72 in the Royal Suite or the difference of $690. 72 in GS. If they go to number of days sailed would the majesty be 3 days compared to 7 for the Freedom. If this is true what is the advantage to book a suite or pay a higher stateroom cost if days are all relative. Or am I missing something! :confused:

Jim

I have been reading all the speculation about the potential change on 1/1/11 to C&A cruise credits. I have been looking for an example or remedy on how RCL would address this, book a 3 night cruise on Majesty on 1/14/11 in the Royal Suite for 2 for a total $3552.42 (current system 2 cruise credits) or even a Grand Suite at $2052.42. If I decide to book a 7 night cruise on the Freedom that sails on 1/2/11 in a Q interior for 2 with a total cost of $1361.70 (current system 1 cruise credit) that would be a difference of $2190.72 in the Royal Suite or the difference of $690. 72 in GS. If they go to number of days sailed would the majesty be 3 days compared to 7 for the Freedom. If this is true what is the advantage to book a suite or pay a higher stateroom cost if days are all relative. Or am I missing something! :confused:

Jim

I would say the advantage to booking a suite is that YOU are the one who gets that suite - the space and perks that come with it for that sailing. If you book an interior stateroom, you are in a tight little space. If you like the suite and all that comes with it, that is what you are paying for. Some people feel like they never spend any time in their room so they feel no need for space - afford it or not.

Gina

Gina,

You are right it is a personal choice, but from a business perspective is it a right move not to have some type of delineation between categories. If I am going to receive same credit value for an inside suite as I would for a suite, what is the advantage to RCL. If I can cruise once a year, I am going to choose the way that will give me the most “bag for my buck.”

Jim

First, a quick thanks to KewlGuy for the informed heads up about changes coming again in 1/11. We are planning a (GASP!) 4 night cruise on Century in Dec. in a suite, specifically so we can hit Elite on Celebrity, and thus hit the next level on Royal.

And second, I'm a bit puzzled by all the strong feelings against people getting the same credit for shorter cruises. I have noticed many, many examples over the years, even more so in the last year or 2, when you can get a week long cruise in an inside cabin for the same or less as you can get a balcony on a 4 night cruise. I've also noticed that 5 night cruises are frequently less than the 4-night, Thurs.-Sun cruises.

My point is, in many cases, the dollars being spent are the same or similar. In the case of on-board spending, who knows? We've spent more on shorter cruises with groups of friends (ie: "party" cruises) and less when we've cruised as a couple to celebrate an anniversary, and it's more about relaxing.

Another thing to consider, shorter cruises are very, very appealing to new and younger cruisers, and people like me who have 2-3 weeks vacation a year and simply cannot take the TIME (not the money) to do 12 night sailings. And RCI is using pretty good business sense (in my opinion, of course) to hook those people and keep filling their pipeline, while at the same time rewarding their hard core repeaters.

Gina,

You are right it is a personal choice, but from a business perspective is it a right move not to have some type of delineation between categories. If I am going to receive same credit value for an inside suite as I would for a suite, what is the advantage to RCL. If I can cruise once a year, I am going to choose the way that will give me the most “bag for my buck.”

Jim

You don't get the same credit value for a suite and an interior. One of the many perks of cruising in a suite is 2 credits instead of one.

Gina

Gina,

Would that cruise credit value (2 credits for a suite for less than 12 nights) be the same if system was changed to days at sea, as most are speculating will happen after 1/11/11. As I read the thread it appears that extra credit for a suite maybe a thing of the past after the projected date of 1/11/11. Just what to know since I plan on taking advantage of the combined on board credits, and suite discounts for 2011.

Jim

What she didn't mention in the article which I know will be part of the restructuring is that cruise credits will be based on days sailed. So the days of fattening your cruise credit totals with 3-4 day cruises on Majesty and Monarch for instance will soon be coming to an end. And to be honest I think that change is long overdue. Why should someone who sails an 11 night cruise receive the same amount of credit as someone who sailed a three night cruise. It never made any sense to me.

I can't agree with you more!!!!

WOW, 70 postings (5 pages) in a 12 hour period, to much for me.

Good job to all and keep up the diligence on this matter cuz I know that RCCL is reading, honestly...

I wish I could figure out how to get cruise credits from participation on this thread, I'd be Diamond Plus, 24 Karat, Turbo 900 x 2...:eek:

Again, good job to all, keep up the good work...

Until next thread!

I'm outta here!:D

Gina,

Would that cruise credit value (2 credits for a suite for less than 12 nights) be the same if system was changed to days at sea, as most are speculating will happen after 1/11/11. As I read the thread it appears that extra credit for a suite maybe a thing of the past after the projected date of 1/11/11. Just what to know since I plan on taking advantage of the combined on board credits, and suite discounts for 2011.

Jim

I can't answer that. My guess would be that if they count cruise credits by the day, a suite would still earn double credits. I think that's a fair perk of booking suites. And I think earning credits based on days at sea is also fair.

Gina

I have a GS booked on the Explorer of the Seas next year going to Bermuda. I booked this cruise because it would give me the last 2 credits that I need to become a Diamond Plus member. Does that mean my new credits will not be enough if the changes happen in January of next year?

I have a GS booked on the Explorer of the Seas next year going to Bermuda. I booked this cruise because it would give me the last 2 credits that I need to become a Diamond Plus member. Does that mean my new credits will not be enough if the changes happen in January of next year?

That's what it sounds like.

My advice to you and to everyone else who is close to reaching Diamond Plus status: I would strongly recommend you do it before the end of the year. Same goes for all the other levels.

My advice to you and to everyone else who is close to reaching Diamond Plus status: I would strongly recommend you do it before the end of the year. Same goes for all the other levels.

I agree........DW and I were discussing our best friends that travel with us is 1 stinking credit short of Diamond +..............it would almost be worth it to them to take a 3 nighter to qualify before January. We are calling them tonight.

I agree........DW and I were discussing our best friends that travel with us is 1 stinking credit short of Diamond +..............it would almost be worth it to them to take a 3 nighter to qualify before January. We are calling them tonight.

Definitely a good idea.

The anticipated Jan. date just might spark a run of 3-4 night bookings.

The anticipated Jan. date just might spark a run of 3-4 night bookings.

I was thinking that too, but remember, we here on CC only account for a very small percentage of the overall cruising public. Probably not enough to affect the bookings. Well, maybe a little bit.

Or it could mean you'll be D+ aleady, depending on how many cruises days it takes and what length your prior cruises were.

Or it could mean you'll be D+ aleady, depending on how many cruises days it takes and what length your prior cruises were.

That's a good point as well as we now tend to take longer cruises......but to be sure......you may as well qualify under the old system and hope you are grandfathered in.

That's a good point as well as we now tend to take longer cruises......but to be sure......you may as well qualify under the old system and hope you are grandfathered in.

I'm still not convinced changing the system according to "days sailed" would be done retroactively. I'm thinking that may be a bit too complicated for the powers that be at headquarters. We're talking about millions of Crown and Anchor members. They'll probably just start the new system from scratch. Just my gut feeling.

I'm still not convinced changing the system according to "days sailed" would be done retroactively. I'm thinking that may be a bit too complicated for the powers that be at headquarters. We're talking about millions of Crown and Anchor members. They'll probably just start the new system from scratch. Just my gut feeling.

So Tony are you saying in effect you expect no grandfathering (gut feeling??)

You know another thing they could do...........is do both, like Princess. Allow current members to maintain their current level based on credits earned and then start from scratch on number of nights........still a headache, but it could be done.

You know another thing they could do...........is do both, like Princess. Allow current members to maintain their current level based on credits earned and then start from scratch on number of nights........still a headache, but it could be done.

The above quote is what I think they'll do.

Ms. "you know who" assured us we would be "grandfathered" at our current level (according to that article) so I'm going to take her at her word. Unfortunately when I specifically asked my source about this, I received no assurances.

Archived