Alaska Railroad (Denali Star) and Princess Rail Service

loanin

The Princess, HAL and RCI/Celebrity cars are at the end of the regular Alaska RR trains. I imagine that they're only for the cruisetours.

We went on an RCI cruisetour in 2008 and had a great time. 2 legs of the trip were by rail - there were 2 Princess cars, 2 RCI and a HAL car.

Does anyone know how they compare? I don't seem to find any info on booking the Princess Rail Service outside of the land tours to compare.

If you are thinking of taking the Denali Star you may want to check out the Toursaver book for the 2 for 1 deals.

paradiselivin1's post reminded me that there is also a 2 for 1 coupon for Princess' Denali Rail Tour, which is what we're doing. It includes the rail (both ways or rail one-way/motorcoach one way) and staying at the Denali Princess Lodge. Awesome deal!!

If you want to meet Alaskans then book regular (cheap) service and thats where you will find most Alaskans who are traveling by train. Anyway just a tip and somthing to consider :).

Adri :)

The cruise ship train cars are a lot nicer than the Regular RR cars. They are all glass on the top level and on HAL a dinning car on the first level.

I know that Princess and I believe that the Celebrity/RCI rail cars also have dining cars on the first level of their trains. We had an excellent dinner some years back on the Princess cars from Denali to Fairbanks.:)

Thanks Rebecca. I think that is what we are going to do. I think on the other post where someone was saying the rail doesn't run on the same schedule must have been talking about Princess rail versus Denali Star. The Denali star really messes your schedule up since it seems you can board when you arrive or return on the same day as you board the ship because of the way the schedule runs but the Princess does.

I really appreciate all the help.

Rebecca, as luck would have it, I did book the Princess Denali Rail tour using Toursaver. I did want to do Talkeentna too but as you said they didn't have one that combined it with TourSaver. After checking on lodging costs, etc, I had decided that even though it was back tracking I would also book the Mt. McKinley Rail tour using toursaver. I think I was confusing Mr. Valezquez from Princess and he ended up "combining" them if you will so I get one night at Mt. McKinley/Talkeenta then on to 2 nights at Denali and return to Anchorage and was prepared to pay $700 (plus tax) for 2 of us BUT he did it for $642 TOTAL with Tax...incredible!! Also we have decided to take the Alaskan Railroad to Whittier for $64 each on the day of the cruise and take the Prince William Sound Cruise which ends at 5:30 then straight to the cruise ship. I am thrilled!! Essentially we are paying $642 total for what would have cost over $2000 using the landtour. Thank you so much for all your help with this!!

Rebecca, as luck would have it, I did book the Princess Denali Rail tour using Toursaver. I did want to do Talkeentna too but as you said they didn't have one that combined it with TourSaver. After checking on lodging costs, etc, I had decided that even though it was back tracking I would also book the Mt. McKinley Rail tour using toursaver. I think I was confusing Mr. Valezquez from Princess and he ended up "combining" them if you will so I get one night at Mt. McKinley/Talkeenta then on to 2 nights at Denali and return to Anchorage and was prepared to pay $700 (plus tax) for 2 of us BUT he did it for $642 TOTAL with Tax...incredible!! Also we have decided to take the Alaskan Railroad to Whittier for $64 each on the day of the cruise and take the Prince William Sound Cruise which ends at 5:30 then straight to the cruise ship. I am thrilled!! Essentially we are paying $642 total for what would have cost over $2000 using the landtour. Thank you so much for all your help with this!!

Wonderful! Glad you got it figured it out!

What can one expect the temperature to be on the Princess Rail Car?

It has been years since we were onboard but I have no recollection that the temperature was anything but normal, neither too hot nor exceptionally cool. If it turns out to be too cool for your tastes, a sweater or light jacket might be in order but I think most will find it comfortable.:) We'll be on the Royal/Celebrity cars next Tuesday and will see for ourselves. Last time I checked the temperature forecasts for Fairbanks were in the high 60s to low 70s and in Anchorage in the high 60s. Looks like they may be getting some long awaited rain while we are there but I'm hoping it isn't a complete washout.:)

Looks like they may be getting some long awaited rain while we are there but I'm hoping it isn't a complete washout.:)

Although the forecast is for some rain showers the next few days, and there are clouds over the mountains, it is a nice blue sky above us right now. The rain the past 2 days was a welcome relief, I'll tell you.

Although the forecast is for some rain showers the next few days, and there are clouds over the mountains, it is a nice blue sky above us right now. The rain the past 2 days was a welcome relief, I'll tell you.

I agree the rain has been wonderful. I was terribly worried about fire but now I feel much better that we have had a lot of rain. We needed it badly.

Adri :)

Archived