Aegina for the day instead of Athens?

cheffip

Our ship is in port in Piraeus from 8 am to 5 pm. Since I've been to Athens and done the Acropolis and the Plaka district a couple of times, I was wondering how feasible it would be to go to Aegina for the day.

I would like enough time to explore the island and visit the Temple of Aphaia. I like the idea of a nice relaxing day on another Greek island instead of the busy city but wondered if anyone had any practical advice on how easy the logistics are and how smart a decision it would be.

Our ship is in port in Piraeus from 8 am to 5 pm. Since I've been to Athens and done the Acropolis and the Plaka district a couple of times, I was wondering how feasible it would be to go to Aegina for the day.

I would like enough time to explore the island and visit the Temple of Aphaia. I like the idea of a nice relaxing day on another Greek island instead of the busy city but wondered if anyone had any practical advice on how easy the logistics are and how smart a decision it would be.

Sure---We did Aegina as a day trip pre-cruise while in Athens a couple of years ago. in the interests of time, you should probably take the 'fast ferry" ('Flying Cat' or Hydrophoil), which reduces the travel time from 1 hour+ to 35-40 minutes or so. Rent a car in town, just off the dock, and explore...the temple is great, as is the (huge) cathedral, and the abandoned hillside town...nice beachside towns, and Aegina town itself is worth a bit of a poke around...lots of quai-side tavernas. Definitely worth a visit. I understand it gets very busy at the weekend, though.

This might be of interest:

http://www.aeginagreece.com/micros_odigos_2010/index.html

Kevin

Archived