Crime in Mexico

KL&KR

There are undeniable problems caused by the drug cartels and people associated with them in Mexico ... largely because of the drug addiction of people living in the USA. However, the article you linked is, IMO, one of the shallowest and most poorly researched I've read in a long time. I don't consider that article worthy of consideration ... and wouldn't let it affect my travel plans.

There is no denying that crime exists in Mexico, but then crime exists virtually everywhere. In my own city robberies, home invasions and murders are all too commonplace due to fighting between the various drug factions and collateral damage is not unusual. However it doesn't mean we're going to pack up and move out of town.

As far as Mexico is concerned we have been in Cabo, Mazatlan, Manzanillo, PV, Huatulco, Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Acapulco. We like to walk around in the places we visit and have hiked around all over the cities mentioned, both in the tourist areas and backstreets, often accompanied by our children when they were younger. While I often preach that you need to keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings we have never encountered a problem of any kind during any of our visits. I have however seen situations that I didn't want any part of in San Francisco, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, Ocho Rios, Toronto and Vancouver.

It's not always a kind world out there but it's not going to stop me from travelling.

I keep hoping all these articles will result in lower occupancy rates on my booked cruises, and consequently lower fares for me. So far though, no dice.

I love cruising to Mexico. Haven't had a problem. I just practice the same safe travel practices that I would use when visiting large American cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco. We have violence everywhere.

I keep hoping all these articles will result in lower occupancy rates on my booked cruises, and consequently lower fares for me. So far though, no dice.

I think the effect is the opposite. Most of the lines are severly reducing their Mexican schedule in part due to real and imagined crime. That then causes reduced supply and increased fares.

I've cruised to Mexico 8 times as I live in Southern California and it is so easy for me to do so. I don't have to fly and can take advantage of some really good fares when they come. I have always felt safe but always do use caution just as I do here in Southern California. The OP posted something from SF. The last time I was there we stayed downtown at the Hilton. I felt less safe there as I tripped over homeless and mentally ill people sleeping on the sidewalks than I do in Mexico or in Southern California. I know Mexico has problems and they can't be ignored. However, if you are cruising to Mexico there are many ways to feel safe including taking ships excursions, etc. In my travels there I have developed a fondness for the mexican people and the cities of Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. I can only hope that posts like these don't distract cruisers too much and affect the lives of the many Mexican people I have met who rely so much on tourism. Please, cruisers, don't stop cruising to Mexico.

I think the effect is the opposite. Most of the lines are severly reducing their Mexican schedule in part due to real and imagined crime. That then causes reduced supply and increased fares.

Luckily that has not been the case...the Mariner and Splendor has been sold out for the past several weeks. Fall 2010 and Spring 2011 have more ships arriving than ever! Including the "picky-est" of all when it comes to safety...Disney. They start in January and will be running the entire year here.

Hotel occupancy is at or near 100% at many of the resorts as well.

Acapulco seems to be the only port that has had a reduction in arrivals.

I still believe as long as you stick to the tourist areas, be smart and dont wander around on your own you'll be fine. Since Mexico has really started to get the drug cartel wrap going we have been on 7 cruises down there...havent felt unsafe yet...mostly because we stick to what I said in the first part

Archived