Peeved...

triplelutz

We applied for passports for our DDs last month and DD2's came in the mail yesterday. Today I get a letter from the Department of State that they are rejecting DD9's application because her birth certificate wasn't the acceptable one. I'm peeved at the lady that processed the applications here - we went to the local police office that does them, and she looked at it and said it was acceptable. She handles tons of these applications and should have know that it wasn't the right one then, now I've just lost 3 weeks.

Here we thought that we were doing it all in plenty of time, but now I've got to either drive up to LA to get it in person to mail back to the D of S, or I have to pay an arm and a leg to get it mailed from LA County "on an emergency basis" and then mail it to the D of S.

What's that saying? Something about the best laid plans...

Here we thought that we were doing it all in plenty of time, but now I've got to either drive up to LA to get it in person to mail back to the D of S, or I have to pay an arm and a leg to get it mailed from LA County "on an emergency basis" and then mail it to the D of S.

It's 'saying' that no matter how hard we try to do what is asked of us, there is always the possibility that something isn't going to work... :(

Do your best to handle the situation the easiest way, and look forward to your cruise!

If the government is involved in any way, I always try to be 'one up' on them and do everything way early.. :rolleyes: Good luck..!!

Well the silver lining in this cloud is that since you were going to the bother of getting a passport, at least you didn't find out on the dock that birth certificate was not acceptable to board the ship. Imagine how upsetting that would have been! At least this way you have time to solve the problem.

She means that she has a 2 year old and a 9 year old daughter.

I agree that there is a silver lining as well. Hate to have had that happen at the ship! But then again if you would have had the passport you would not need the birth certificate.

Good luck.

Yuk, I understand exactly what you are going through. We had gotten our passport back and one of my ds name was spelled wrong. An obvious misspelling that was to be checked before it was shipped back to us. Well, I called the state department right away and was told that I had to repay for shipment of a new one. The cust service rep was very nice and gave me the address to request a refund. To make a long story short, I went back to the post office because it needs to be correct, and I did not have to pay for expedited shipping. My post office took care of the costs (and it was really the state depts. fault)! There is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Cass

Sorry to post and go! I run a kid's club at my church on Wed. evenings, so I've spent the last 2 hours with 55 1st - 4th graders....

Anyways, yes, my girls are 9 and 2! I think I'd go insane with 9 girls around, much less DH! He's kinda outnumbered as it is!

It's not the end of the world by any means, actually it looks like we can print up the paperwork and DH can stop by one of the county places tomorrow when he goes up to the Laker game. He'll just have to leave a bit earlier.

It's just that this lady looked at it, said it was acceptable, and approved it. She should have known - it's her job to know that kind of stuff.

As for why we're getting them - I posted on the now infamous passport thread that when we cleared customs after our last cruise, the officer asked DD9 a few questions to verify that we were her parents. He told us that with a passport she wouldn't be questioned. I just feel like in the world today, I want my family to have proper documentation of citizenship. I do think that in the near future a passport will be mandatory on a cruise. I just want to make the whole process easier for us.

Thanks for offering encouragement - you guys are the best! :)

As for why we're getting them - I posted on the now infamous passport thread that when we cleared customs after our last cruise, the officer asked DD9 a few questions to verify that we were her parents. He told us that with a passport she wouldn't be questioned. I just feel like in the world today, I want my family to have proper documentation of citizenship. I do think that in the near future a passport will be mandatory on a cruise. I just want to make the whole process easier for us.

Ah yes, I remember the thread well. Better safe than sorry... :)

And yes, passports WILL be required soon.. And yes, they do make things so much easier.. ;)

We applied for passports for our DDs last month and DD2's came in the mail yesterday. Today I get a letter from the Department of State that they are rejecting DD9's application because her birth certificate wasn't the acceptable one. I'm peeved at the lady that processed the applications here - we went to the local police office that does them, and she looked at it and said it was acceptable. She handles tons of these applications and should have know that it wasn't the right one then, now I've just lost 3 weeks.

Same exact thing happened to me, except when it did, it was returned the day after the pricing for passports went up a few years ago. I think it went up $20 and I got stuck paying it.:mad:

Steve

Same exact thing happened to me, except when it did, it was returned the day after the pricing for passports went up a few years ago. I think it went up $20 and I got stuck paying it.:mad:

Steve

Steve,

You seem to have the worst luck. Im sailing on Liberty after you, please dont jinx the ship.:)

We haven't gotten the passports yet, but we are going to Maryland with my DD's volleyball team. Her coach, who is a state cop, suggested getting both of my girls a picture ID from the DMV. He said many airlines are going to be requiring this. They are only $7, so worth the investment for a few years. I know they change so fast. I know I read the cruise lines will be requiring passports within the next year. I will probably try and get them when we are not planning a cruise, so I don't have the extra $$ and time won't be a problem.

Maureen

There is a passport service center in LA.

Yeah, but DH won't have time to go over there and still make it to the Laker game on time! I've already tried that one! ;) Fortunately today is Dad's Day for lunchtime @ DD9's school, so he's meeting up with a friend (another Dad) that's a notary to get the one paper notarized at the big lunch date before he heads up there.

All in all, it's not the disaster it could have been!

Yeah, but DH won't have time to go over there and still make it to the Laker game on time! I've already tried that one! ;) Fortunately today is Dad's Day for lunchtime @ DD9's school, so he's meeting up with a friend (another Dad) that's a notary to get the one paper notarized at the big lunch date before he heads up there.

All in all, it's not the disaster it could have been!

Got it. My point of mentioning that was (at least here in DC) you can make an appointment if you are leaving within a few weeks (you have to provide proof of travel date) and obtain a passport within a couple hours.

We aren't traveling until April, so there's plenty of time to mail it back to the D of S, just not the 20 business days to deal with the County of LA. Since he's headed up there anyways, he might as well make the quick stop and speed up the process. Can you imagine if I'd left this until the last minute?! I'd need the cruise just to recover from the stress! :) Thanks again for the info!

:)

You are one smart lady!!!!! People always are saying you don't need it....well you don't need it until you are stuck in a foreign country for some unforeseen reason and need to get home. Glad you are getting the passports no matter what their ages are. It's just not worth the risk. You get it.

I agree with your frustration. The places that process passports get a percentage of the passport fee, therefore they need to be informed on how to do their job properly.

Well, it took DH exactly 6 minutes to go into the office, have them print up the paper, and get back on the freeway to Staples! :) I'm on my way to the post office to mail it to the D of S and we should have the passport soon.

I definately need a cruise after this week! :)

True they might be needed for some countries, but everyone doesn't get off the boat in other countries. Also, if the person had done their job approving the birth certificate, the screwup wouldn't have happened. How would a passport make things easier for me when I rarely get off the boat. My drivers license and birth certificate work just fine. Bad people never seem to have problems adjusting to what is forced onto the general public.

Jim

Archived