Anyone live in the FL panhandle?

kr8z

We may have to cancel our next two cruises because my husband has received word that he is to deploy again to the middle east. I have been googling like mad, but can't find an answer. I figure those who live there may know. I am looking to book a condo in Destin right on the beach. We need a quick family vacation before he heads out in a couple of months. I heard on fox news on the radio that an "oil sheen" has been spotted off of the panhandle, yet I can't seem to find any info.

Do y'all have any idea if it is expected to form tar balls or what have you? We have 4 little kids and it would be cruel to stay on the beach if they weren't allowed to play in the water.

My question is not cruise related, but since we will have to cancel our cruise and switch to this, I am hoping it will fly LOL

Im in panama city (45 min from destin) there is no oil anywhere. and I don't expect it to be anytime soon. The way the currents are moving seem to be dragging the oil toward the FL keys, keeping us safe. for now!! They even took all our booms we had just in case down to new orleans to help out where its needed.

Funny. I get it. Thank you for the info, Leanna. It just seems so iffy to me, that I am hesitant to book it even though we NEED a vacation LOL

We booked a condo on Pensacola Beach for July. We made sure to book one with a pool in case the water is bad. A couple of years ago, we couldn't go in the water because the jellyfish were so bad (my girls got stung REALLY bad!)...so we learned our lesson to always book a place with a pool.

So - moral of the story - find a place that has a pool and you're all set.

Ashley :)

We may have to cancel our next two cruises because my husband has received word that he is to deploy again to the middle east. I have been googling like mad, but can't find an answer. I figure those who live there may know. I am looking to book a condo in Destin right on the beach. We need a quick family vacation before he heads out in a couple of months. I heard on fox news on the radio that an "oil sheen" has been spotted off of the panhandle, yet I can't seem to find any info.

Do y'all have any idea if it is expected to form tar balls or what have you? We have 4 little kids and it would be cruel to stay on the beach if they weren't allowed to play in the water.

My question is not cruise related, but since we will have to cancel our cruise and switch to this, I am hoping it will fly LOL

My parents actually live in Destin, Florida currently (I'm originally from there) I can check with them & get back to you asap :)

Update: I decided to give my DD a quick call & see if he would answer. I relayed what you asked and he said there is absolutely no site of oil in the area, beaches are still nice and beautiful and has not heard anything concerning the spill reaching them anytime soon :) He's a personal trainer who teaches all his sessions on the beach front so this would affect him big time as well but for the time being it's same ole' same ole'. You should be good!

We are going the DESTIN ARMY Rec camp area in destin, my BIL is active reserve and made reservations there for all of us, its like a resort with rooms a boat doc, rec area pool and bbq area price is right, you or your husband go to special services on base or mwr and they can get more info on it. good luck and there is no oil here yet we live in pendacola, there is a " sheen " about 7 miles out.

We are going the DESTIN ARMY Rec camp area in destin, my BIL is active reserve and made reservations there for all of us, its like a resort with rooms a boat doc, rec area pool and bbq area price is right, you or your husband go to special services on base or mwr and they can get more info on it. good luck and there is no oil here yet we live in pendacola, there is a " sheen " about 7 miles out.

That sounds like a nice alternative.

I may try that some time. I spent 10 years in the army and have no desire to vacation on a base or reserve camp LOL Since hubby is heading out for another tour of the middle east, I'm not going to subject him to it either. I decided to go ahead and book a bit further south near Clearwater. 3 bedroom home at a resort for less than $600 for the week. That's much better than any price I've received on any base. It is through the government, but not on a base.

That "sheen" (Charlie or otherwise) concerns me. When I spoke to my husband he told me to just book farther south and not the panhandle. It's a shame because the panhandle is absolutely gorgeous... and five hours closer to us ;)

Thanks for all the responses, but looks like we won't be staying there after all.

Totally understand been there and one that myself 15 yrs navy and not real excited about going myself, but may have to cancel due to this stupid oil thing it started hitting our beaches today ( pensacola beach) after being in the Navy I still love to cruise ( at least I don't have to work this time lol)

Archived