Help Choosing RCCL Genoa Excursions

ppfqp

We have decided to do a ship excursion during our port call in Genoa on the Navigator of the Seas. But we are having a hard time deciding between 2 options.

1) Beautiful Portofino - 5 hours (9:30 am - 2:30 pm), $89 per person

"Once ashore, board motor launch for 1.5-hr ride to Portofino. On arrival in Portofino, stroll thru streets & square. The fame of Portofino is worldwide & its calm green waters attract luxurious yachts...Return to launch bound for cruise back to Genoa by motorboat. Note: must walk approx 0.75 mile over uneven & cobblestone surfaces with steps. Walking during free time is at guest's discretion. Will encounter steep incline to reach S. George Church in Portofino. Conservative attire required. Have approx 1.5 hrs of free time."

or

2) Portofino, Rapallo & S. Margherita - The Three Pearls of Paradise Gulf: 5 hours (8:40 am - 1:40 pm), $137 per person

"Leaving pier, proceed to Santa Margherita to board motor-launch. Travel past Bay of Paraggi to Portofino Bay. On arrival in Portofino, stroll thru streets & squares. Return to launch, bound for Santa Margherita, where coach waits to take you to Rapallo. Refreshments are given in Rapallo before visiting resort. Time for shopping or stroll before starting return trip to Genoa. Note: must walk approx 0.5 mile over uneven & cobblestone surfaces with 15 - 25 steps. Will have steep incline to reach S. George Church in Portofino. Conservative attire required. Have approx 1 hour of free time in Portofino & 30 minutes in Santa Margherita."

It sounds like the second one covers more ground, but with a lot more travel time - bus and boat - and less time in each destination. So I'm leaning towards the first option.

Thanks for any input!:)

I'm with you, of these two options, the first one is more appealing.

However, I don't think I'd do it. If I'm reading the description correctly, you'd be in transit for three hours for a two hour stay in Portofino. It hardly seems worth it to me, unless the boat ride is part of the attraction.

Is this a short port day? If so, have you been to Genova already? It's a beautiful seafront city with a lovely historical center, waterfront attractions, a beautiful cathedral, and great restaurants. It's easy to walk right into town from the cruise port (I did it with two elderly women a few years ago).

Genoa has an excellent tourism web site where you can read about things to see and do there: http://www.genova-turismo.it/spip.php?rubrique60

Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look at that site.

Yes, the boat ride is part of the fun for us. We are boating people and always happy out on the water or near the sea rather than in a city. Our hope is that we will return mid-afternoon and explore the city for a couple of hours before returning to the ship.

Thanks again!

Archived