Alaska Now Poor House Later

pal4404

My DH and I will be celebrating our 49th anniversary August 5 on the Southbound Island Princess sailing Aug 2, 2010. Prior to cruising we will be doing the land tour to Denali. I ruptured my achilles tendon a few years ago and walking is somewhat compromised. Don't have to use a cane as the doc said I would but still am limited on terrain thus hiking is not an option. First cruise for both. Here is our plans. Anyone with experience advise what needs to be replaced or eliminated.

3 River Cruise in Talkeetna

Black Diamond Golf in Healy

Evening ATV tour Healy

Skagway Morning Yukon Jeep Tour

Skagway Afternoon/evening Takshanuk 4x4-Anniversary dinner at the lodge

Juneau Dog Sledding weather permitting

Ketchican Float Plane Cooks Inlet

No cheapies so I want to be sure they will be interesting and scenic. Hopefully there will be time to eat. If not it will be a fun diet plan.

All looks great except for Saturday. The logistics of getting to Haines for the Takshanuk ATV trip pretty much rules out an excursion in Skagway that morning, and the Jeep tours are just the world's most expensive car rental in any case (99% highway, and the short "4x4" section is nothing like you're going to get in Haines).

All looks great except for Saturday. The logistics of getting to Haines for the Takshanuk ATV trip pretty much rules out an excursion in Skagway that morning, and the Jeep tours are just the world's most expensive car rental in any case (99% highway, and the short "4x4" section is nothing like you're going to get in Haines).

Thanks will recheck but according to the Princess Cruise Personalizer the Jeep tour returns at 12:30 and the 4x4 departs at 1:45. Would that not be doable? Not taking the Jeep Yukon for the 4 x 4 aspect but rather the option to go to the Yukon and back within my timeframe. Can always book either the Takshanuk 4x4 on a morning tour or a different morning Yukon tour and have a nice leisurly anniversay dinner on board. If one has to be eliminated should it be the Yukon or the Takshanuk. Input please. May never be back.

Thanks will recheck but according to the Princess Cruise Personalizer the Jeep tour returns at 12:30 and the 4x4 departs at 1:45. Would that not be doable?

It would (barely, if you time the ferry to Haines right), but I question getting to the Yukon and back by 12:30 - check the details, as it's normally a 5-hour trip.

It would (barely, if you time the ferry to Haines right), but I question getting to the Yukon and back by 12:30 - check the details, as it's normally a 5-hour trip.

Thanks will confirm. According to the tour the transport to Haines is on a catamaran. Is that not different than the ferry or are they the same. There is a dummy on this end of the thread.

According to the tour the transport to Haines is on a catamaran. Is that not different than the ferry or are they the same.

It's the catamaran ("fast-cat") I was referring to :)

A subject very close to my own heart as I am 17 months into recovery from a non-Alaska related leg disaster.

I would have a hiking stick at hand. Some telescope and would travel in your suitcase.

You don't need a slip and fall accident or a stumble on rocks or rough ground.

Riding in rough country worries me less than the falls I've seen people take in the ports and even in parking lots. Alaska weather is variable at best. You don't need to (literally) add insult to injury. I'm sure you will be wise in your choice of footwear. Right?

You have worked to hard to be where you are in your recovery.

Of course be aware of that step up into the bathroom in your cruise ship cabin. And the step down on the way back to bed.

Have a wonderful anniversary and come home in one, healthy piece!

Thanks for the concern. Needless to say 3 months in a non-weightbearing cast and 2 more on crutches makes on very careful, especially at 68. You know and old woman on crutches is not a pretty sight. My DH is careful for me. He does not want a repeat performance. All excursions are pretty much ride and watch. Have good non-fashionable waterproof lightweight boots for shore excursions. Anticipating a wonderful time and more great memories to add to the ones we have.

Thanks for the concern. Needless to say 3 months in a non-weightbearing cast and 2 more on crutches makes on very careful, especially at 68. You know and old woman on crutches is not a pretty sight. My DH is careful for me. He does not want a repeat performance. All excursions are pretty much ride and watch. Have good non-fashionable waterproof lightweight boots for shore excursions. Anticipating a wonderful time and more great memories to add to the ones we have.

My husband is very concerned about me ruining my recovery by doing something stupid. He watches me like a hawk.

I use a Leki brand telescoping hiking stick. Been all over thw rold with it. Very handy! Also looks more sporty and less orthopedic.

Have considered it but my husband is a hands on person and I think it would be too long for him just to sit and look. He likes involvement. I also did not find one that would coordinate with us going to Haines.

Archived