How clean are the cabins?

eal

I watched this video and was thinking about RCCL cabins. What do you think? How clean are the cabins? What about the cleanliness of the glasses in cabin?

Fan Video: Dirtiest U.S. Hotel Rooms

http://www.comcast.net/video/1512269971/dirtiest_us_hotel_rooms

I always bring Clorox wipes for the TV remote, telephone, door handles. Now do I have to wash the glasses too??

Eal: I don't think I have the courage to watch the videos, but I can offer my opinion on RCI and CCL cabins being VERY clean. At least on the size ship I have sail. They are freshened up each evening making them cleaner than my own home. LOL. Like you, DH and I have developed the habit of using antibacterial to wipe down just about anything that doesn't move in our cabin upon arrival, and I handwash the glasses or bring my own. I like glasses, plastic with handle, when traveling. I do the above routine no matter where we stay, hotel on land or ship. You never know the health of the previous occupants. The chance one takes to travel.

In our experience, the cabins are quite clean, but I still bring Lysol or Clorox disinfecting wipes and wipe down things like the remote, phone, door knobs, drawer handles, light switches.

That video was a real hot topic when it came out a few years ago.

After filming with hidden cameras they would go back to that hotels GM and confront and question them regarding how things were cleaned. Most denied knowing anything about it.

RC replaces the glasses each day. If you look at the cabin attendants cart you'll see trays of glasses from the dishwasher.

Some of the white areas on each deck is where they get the ice, glasses and return trays and dishes.

As for the cleanliness I have found dust and dirt on embarkation day. I just tell them about it and it is taken care of. For the most part we never had any problems.

Personally I don't clean anything in the room. They clean daily which is far more than I do in my room at home...

I find it a little neurotic. I go there on holiday and don't want to spend my time worrying and cleaning things with wipes.

I've never been ill on a cruise ship, not even while I was on Jewel during a noro outbreak, so my outlook is obviously fine.

Some germs are good for you, build up your immune system!

Enjoy (:

Personally I don't clean anything in the room. They clean daily which is far more than I do in my room at home...

I find it a little neurotic. I go there on holiday and don't want to spend my time worrying and cleaning things with wipes.

I've never been ill on a cruise ship, not even while I was on Jewel during a noro outbreak, so my outlook is obviously fine.

Enjoy (:

What she said ^ without the norovirus bit.

Cabins have always been spotless as far as I am concerned.

But the toothbrush is okay, right? :D

I leave it in the cabinet with the door closed and try not to think about it ;)

I have used the water glass before too; hotels and public spaces in general are pretty nasty if you're a germaphobe which thankfully I'm not, or I wouldn't be able to leave the house.

If you want nasty go to las vegas, I swear only one in 15 or 20 guys even pretends to wash their hands when they leave the restroom :(

Enjoy (:

Exactly! When I was a kid we played outside all day long in the summer and no one was wiping their hands every few minutes with a Clorox wipe or hand sanitizer! Our society is so germ phobic we have robbed our bodies of the chance to build some natural immunity.

My cabins have always been clean, if they hadn't I would have mentioned it to our room steward an he/she would take care of it I'm sure!

I wash my hands quite often during the day using soap and water, especially right before meals, NEVER use the hand sanitizer (it makes my hands crack and bleed as I have eczema and psoriasis) and I have NEVER (touch wood) had any issues with sickness on a ship.

JMHO, YMMV

humm... using a glass that's sitting 3 feet from a flushing toilet, even with the lid down. I don't think so...

If you really think that the water can spurt or splash out of the closed toilet and jump into your glass which is higher than the toilet - you really have severe psychological problems and should seek professional medical aid.

DON

If you really think that the water can spurt or splash out of the closed toilet and jump into your glass which is higher than the toilet - you really have severe psychological problems and should seek professional medical aid.

DON

actually, real studies with freaks in lab coats ;) have shown that a fine mist of water droplets some with fecal matter spread from the toilet about 8 feet in all directions when it is flushed; since the droplets are so small, they have no problem going up and onto things on your countertop beside the toilet...

I watched this video and was thinking about RCCL cabins. What do you think? How clean are the cabins? What about the cleanliness of the glasses in cabin?

Fan Video: Dirtiest U.S. Hotel Rooms

http://www.comcast.net/video/1512269971/dirtiest_us_hotel_rooms

I always bring Clorox wipes for the TV remote, telephone, door handles. Now do I have to wash the glasses too??

I have always been very impressed with the cleanliness on RCI.They keep the ship spotless, had 5 sailings and never saw any dirt. WE sailed on Princess and they were not as fussy, saw fingerprints on glass and our room had holes is bedding on Princess.

I've read about raw sewage smells eminating from toilets in peoples' staterooms. Well, a few months ago I experienced it personally. It was discouraging but a deodorant disinfectant they sold in the ships store completely killed the odor.

Other than that, in my 5 cruises I've been very pleased with my stateroom cleanliness.

I think the whole thing about fine particulates splashing up from toilets and into peoples bathrooms is kind of ridiculous, but my girlfriend believes it. :)

actually, real studies with freaks in lab coats ;) have shown that a fine mist of water droplets some with fecal matter spread from the toilet about 8 feet in all directions when it is flushed; since the droplets are so small, they have no problem going up and onto things on your countertop beside the toilet...

Reference please.

DON

humm... using a glass that's sitting 3 feet from a flushing toilet, even with the lid down. I don't think so...

The glasses have covers on them. You can replace the covers to protect the glasses from anything vaporized settling down.

There are also drinking glasses in the main room. You can ask the steward to keep 4 glasses in the main room if you like, he/she will probably do it.

Only speaking from personal experience on one Carnival cruise, i know on that cruise my room was kept very very clean. My parents have cruise RCCL many times and have never been displeased with their rooms or service with RCCL.

Archived