Just Back from Uniworld River Beatrice Any Questions for Me

Mylisa

Looking for Budapest airport arrival information and available free time before departure for Passau? Also curious about suggested amount of Hungarian currency to have for the short stay since many businesses are not necessarily set up for credit cards? Four of us are taking the 29 August 2010

trip

Will try to answer the last few posts... have been away in TX for a few days.

Coffee- yes, french press-strong but we liked it. It is European style-not American.

Arriving in Budapest- We got on the RB in Passau, so I cannot answer arrival questions about coming into Budapest.

Tipping- ALL RB staff share in the one envelope for the crew. However, the Cruise Manager is a free lancer and there is a separate envelope for him/her. So the bar staff is in the crew sharing. However, it is always appropriate to tip additionally and separately to someone if they have given extra-special attention.

Internet connection was slow and sometimes frustrating. We did not use it much, but did once in a while. Best in public lounges, not the rooms.

As I mentioned in my review of 5/26-6/6, our time in Vienna was cut short due to closing of the river. So no zoo for anyone on our ship. We saw some of the baths in Budapest, but I do not know if anyone partook of them. Rick Steves and others have said did enjoy them- try it!

Airport pickups and returns were handled quite well, tho I will say leaving from the Budapest airport for home at 5 am was quite difficult, as it was poorly staffed and disorganized at the airport. But the transport part from Uniworld was organized and quick-those picking you up at the beginning had clearly seen signs right outside baggage claim.

Hope these are helpful.

Diamond Diva

• 1 month later...
We are doing this trip and wondering if it is possible to fly into Munich a few days early and get back to the airport to pick up the Uniworld transfer to Passau.

Hi,

We are booked on the August 8 Passau-Budapest sailing. We are leaving Toronto, Canada on August 5 so that we will have time to recover from the jetlag. Our travel agent (who took the cruise last year) advised us to return to the airport on Sunday morning (fortunately our plane from Brussels is a daily one and arrives in Munich at 12:30 daily) and just go to the pick up area. That's what we're doing -I'm a little apprehensive about it, but I think it should be fine as long as we give ourselves plenty of time to get to the airport so that we arrive at the approximate time that the plane arrives that day. Hope this helps. Jenjo

I checked the website of the tourguide you suggested for Budapest but I noticed they have no rates posted. Did you compare them to others and how did you decide to use them? We are interested in a few tours to outlying towns while in Budapest. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

There will be two couples taking this cruise on The River Beatrice 7/3/2011. I have several questions for you: 1) How was the Food?

2) Did all the men wear jackets at dinner? 3)Did you take Uniworld transfers from airports and/or Hotels? 4) Did anyone in your party have a suite, as we do, and just wanted to know how it was?

Hope I didn't bombard you with too many questions, but I appreciate your offer on trying to answer our questions. THANKS.........Mike Merlin magiccane@bellsouth.net

Archived