do you need to bring marriage certificate?

radioguy54

It mentions that in some of my paperwork, is it required?

You'll get varying responses to this based on people's personal experiences. When we cruised the first time, I took it since my passport was still in my maiden name. They asked for it at check-in since my name on our booking was different than my passport. I asked if I would have had a problem if I didn't have it with me and they said yes. Who knows if that would actually have been the case; based on what I've read on this board over the years, most women aren't asked for it, and that was the only time I ever was. But, until I renewed my passport and now have it in my married name I always brought a certified copy of our marriage certificate. I figured it's only one piece of paper and why risk not having it with me??

Does your wife have a passport ? As long as her name on the passport matches her booking name, you need no other proof.

Guess that makes it easier with Quebec marriages- we no longer change our names to a married name. My name has never changed, through a marriage and divorce - I'm still Julie H !

On 2 cruises I have carried by marriage license and have not been asked for it. I always bring it "just in case.". BTW, I hyphenated my name. Every time we book they book me under by husband's name. So again I bring the license in case I need it.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, but why would anyone book their cruise under a different name than is on the ID that they would use? If your passport is your ID, and has your maiden name on it, your cruise should be in your maiden name. (Of course, I'm also one of those that believes that your passport SHOULD be your ID, when cruising. And, yes, all three children have passports, too.)

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, but why would anyone book their cruise under a different name than is on the ID that they would use? If your passport is your ID, and has your maiden name on it, your cruise should be in your maiden name. (Of course, I'm also one of those that believes that your passport SHOULD be your ID, when cruising. And, yes, all three children have passports, too.)

Depends on who is booking it. A future husband who books the cruise and thinks oh we will be Mr. and Mrs. x. A future wife who thinks it's cool to have her name changed and doesn't think about the id issue. It's a simple thing that some people do not think about when they book their honeymoon. DH did book my ticket in my maiden name. We had no problems. If he had booked it in my married name I would have had to take the marriage license with me. THEY can refuse your entry onto the ship or onto a plane if your ID and your name do not match. They really don't care if it is your honeymoon. It's a rule they have to follow. You will need the license to prove who you are. When you go to change your name on EVERYTHING (but the charge cards!) they want a copy of your wedding license.

Archived