Not a Dream, only a Nightmare!

thoman

My husband and daughter went on the Dream 2004. It was terrible. We had been on Carnival before but we booked this cruise because of what the website said about their kid's crew program. LIES... This ship's kid's crew room was as small as a portapotty! They were all cramped up together. We learned our lesson and will NEVER use NCL again. We are truely Carnival people now.

I wrote NCL to explain to them that we picked this cruise based on their website. They wrote me back with a $200 on board credit. Yeah, right! Like I will ever use it or use them again.

We also were not able to stop at Cancun (another reason we liked this ship) and we were not able to stop there. Passed right by it. We were issued a $29.00 per person on board credit for the inconvience. We used our credit to eat at one of their resturants on board that you have to pay for. It was NOT included in the price of the cruise.

For forwarning to anyone... Please shop around, especially if you have kids!

Thoman, without knowing the reason for bypassing Cancun, one can't really comment on it. If the seas were rough and it would have been impossible to tender safely, what would you have had them do? Put you and your daughter in an unsafe situation just so you could see Cancun?

I suspect the $29 credit reflected Cancun's port fees and taxes that were included in your cruise price, which charges NCL refunded because the ship in fact didn't go to that port. I'm not aware of any cruise line that guarantees it will get to every port on the itinerary--we haven't learned yet how to control the weather--and the only refunds/credits I've ever seen were for the port charges that were included in the original cruise fare.

To the dismay of some of us, all mass-market cruise lines (i.e., Carnival, RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, HAL, Princess, etc.) now have specialty restaurants, the fee for which is "not included in the price of the cruise." There are four restaurants on the Dream where passengers can eat at no additional charge, just as there are no-additional-fee restaurants on ships of the other mass-market lines.

We have no children so can make no comment about the kids' facilities.

I just got back from a trip on Dream. We had a wonderful vacation. I did not bring my children along, as I needed a vacation from all of my life (this is only the second time we have left our children in 12 years). I did however see the childrens area, and it did look quite small. I did meet some of the childrens staff, and they all seemed quite nice. I am sorry you were disappointed.

On a side note, I was very bothered when walking past the childrens room and seeing the children in there while it was so nice and beautiful outside. I just couldn't help but feel sorry for those children whose parents were out having a good time while their children were stuck inside, didn't look like much of a vacation to me.

To me, the moral of this post is, let your children stay home where they will be comfortable, or take them to Disneyland!

On a side note, I was very bothered when walking past the childrens room and seeing the children in there while it was so nice and beautiful outside. I just couldn't help but feel sorry for those children whose parents were out having a good time while their children were stuck inside, didn't look like much of a vacation to me.

To me, the moral of this post is, let your children stay home where they will be comfortable, or take them to Disneyland!

Actually, one of the reasons I asked if there was specific information on the kids programs, is the kids clubs were a highlight for my children on our Disney cruises. You would feel sorry for my daughter for being PICKED UP not "stuck" in the club. Both of the kids would be very upset when we wanted them to leave the lab and we were sad because they didn't want to spend much time with us (not that we didn't enjoy some time alone too!). It was great that they enjoyed their vacation so much. That's why I look forward to hearing all the information available on the NCL kids' programs. We will be sailing on the Dawn, but I'm sure there must be some parallels across the line, so any info about the kids clubs is helpful. I know the program is offered less hours, so the kids will be "forced" to spend more time with mom and dad.

Humph, don`t think I would call this a nightmare. Sounds like someone didn`t do their homework:confused: Perhaps a knowledgable travel agent would have put you on the "right" cruise. I agree, shop around, if you did,you would have known that there are pay restaurants on NCL.

I think NCL gave you satisfaction on your unhappiness.

Better sailing next time:)

PS The newer NCL ships have a great kids program with awsome kids pools.

BTW Cancun is not that great. I would rather the $29.00:D

Thoman...sorry your daughter had a miserable time...also sorry for your sake that you did not join these boards months ago to do some homework.

The people here on these boards have a wealth of information to share.

All cruise lines have characteristics that are better suited to some than others.

As with any travel experience..the more knowledge gained beforehand, the better.

Sounds like NCL was pretty generous with their credit..I'd give them another chance if I were you!

Humph, don`t think I would call this a nightmare. Sounds like someone didn`t do their homework

A little homework (or a glance at the deck plan) would have told you that the ship was not designed for children.

We spent 12 days on the Dream in 2002 with our two boys(7 and 4 at the time). The kids room is tiny - which is why much of the program took place outside or in other parts of the ship. They had relay races and water balloon fights on deck, took the children to the pool, a scavenger hunt which took them all over the ship and much more (one of their favorite things was shooting the fire hose into the ocean). We just got off the Dawn, with all the bells and whistles for kids and, while they had a great time, they still want to go back on the Dream. They consider it the best vacation they ever had.

There is more to a kid's 'program' than ball-pits and water-slides.

My husband and daughter went on the Dream 2004. It was terrible. We had been on Carnival before but we booked this cruise because of what the website said about their kid's crew program. LIES... This ship's kid's crew room was as small as a portapotty! They were all cramped up together. We learned our lesson and will NEVER use NCL again. We are truely Carnival people now.

I wrote NCL to explain to them that we picked this cruise based on their website. They wrote me back with a $200 on board credit. Yeah, right! Like I will ever use it or use them again.

We also were not able to stop at Cancun (another reason we liked this ship) and we were not able to stop there. Passed right by it. We were issued a $29.00 per person on board credit for the inconvience. We used our credit to eat at one of their resturants on board that you have to pay for. It was NOT included in the price of the cruise.

For forwarning to anyone... Please shop around, especially if you have kids!

why in the world did you bother to write if you weren't intending to use them again. A $200 credit is very generous just because you weren't happy. Not tendering to Cancun probably was for your own safety; that goodness someone was looking out for you. Most think the kids program is very well run and the kids normally have a blast; I don't know what your daughter's problems were, but I am sorry she didn't have a good time. Our grand daughters first cruise was on the Sea which they both loved. yes, there are alternative dining rooms on all NCL ships. This is one feature most people really enjoy. The onther lines including Carnival only offer one alternative dining room which is much more expensive than NCL. NCl has more than one to choose from. Great idea don't you think?

It is obviously you are very upset or you would not have posted this message as you are not a regular. Glad you have found cruise critics. Now you can do your homework before you choose your next cruise. Being prepared and knowing what to expect goes along way to insuring a good vacation.

It wonderful to know there are so many cruise lines out there, as what is the perfect line for one family is a dissaster for another. We have cruised 16 times and have yet to have a really bad cruise like you apparently had.

NMNita

Archived