Best deals on digital cameras?

Turtle Derf

There is a LOT of information on this subject in a prior thread.

While I can't disagree with what my friend kal says, I personally would probably lean towards buying the camera at home, COSTCO, etc. or online, so that I had a chance to get familiar with it before my cruise. If it cost a little more, I could live with that.

Now if you already have a camera to take with you and you're buying an additional, that wouldn't come into play.

When I was in the market for an Olympus C5050, I checked the prices in almost every port we went to. I could easily beat their price online so I waited until I got home to buy the camera. I would buy the camera at home and take it with me on the cruise.

Don't forget to compare pricing for the "package deal" not just the camera. The storefront merchants will give you a much better deal on the add-ons that you WILL need with the camera anyway. Those add-ons is where on-line dealers make a killing.

As an example, before Xmas I talked to an on-line outlet by phone about his extremely good price for a Canon camera. At the onset he said they have a good supply of those cameras. After all the continuous arm twisting on "super deals" for accessories (battery, case, flash card etc) I told him I just wanted the camera. His reply: "the camera's not available, thanks for calling". The super deals for accessories was an outrageous rip off.

Most importantly however, the storefront merchant will give you all sorts of important information about digital technology and key differences between models and brands that you will NOT get from on-line vendors. That's an incredibly valuable exchange.

Archived