Galapagos Best time to go?

I just returned from a week on the Endeavor. May was a great time, after the rainy season, but before the water temperatures cooled off too much. The staff on the ship said that the transitional months of November and May tended to have the best weather. We had a full ship, but only one family with kids.

• 1 month later...

We went in early April - it was mating season. Great to see the frigate birds puffing up their red necks in attempts to charm the females. Also, the blue footed boobies nesting and you could see their eggs as you are only a few feet away from them. The water was great for snorkeling (with the mini wetsuits that are provided). It's adult Disney!

We just got back, and also saw frigate birds, boobies, and albatrosses doing their courtship dances and nesting. The Humboldt current in the summer brings a lot of food with it (and rougher, colder water) so there is a lot of wildlife near the shore - they don't have to go out as far to fish. I did wish for a full wetsuit the day we snorkled in 61 degree water, although I wouldn't get out because we were seeing penguins. There were also tons of nursing sea lions on shore - the babies are adorable. You will of course find more human children on board during the summer if that bothers you. About a quarter of the passengers were children on our trip, which was fine with us as we brought two of them. I do remember a guide saying the weather can be miserably hot and humid during their summer, but I don't remember what months he was specifically referencing. I think you will have a great time no matter when you go, it is a fabulous place.

Archived