Flightseeing

loanin

We have decided to do a air tour. I have read posts after posts and still not sure which place would be the best for the air tour. If you had to choose just one, I would love to hear what you would decide. Helicopter flight and glacier landing? And if so, WHICH glacier? Mendenhall? Misty Fjord? Gustavus/Glacier Bay? Or flightseeing at Talkeetna? Or Denali helicopter and glacier landing with Era Helicopters or Flightseeing and glacier landing with Talkeetna Air? What is the difference between the Denali tours with Era Heicopters and Talkeetna Air? Any input would great!!

Sorry, I can't answer all your questions, but I can say that landing on a glacier was awesome. We took a heli tour and landing out of Skagway and on another trip did the same out of Juneau. We thought the Juneau trip was better, but think that was mainly due to us being with a much smaller group. The Skagway crew traveled with a convoy of helicopters, which meant we traipsed around the glacier in a group of 30. The Juneau trip was just 5 of us. We still thought both were awesome. We flew Mt.McKinley in a small plane, which was in itself beautiful, but didn't land so can't compare this to the glacier landings, but thought this flight was also great. We also did a Misty Fjord floatplane trip 2 years ago. Just my opinion, but if I could only do one, it would be a flight that included a glacier landing.

Yes, I got the toursaver book and saw those. And I am leaning towards the glacier landing. I really like the coupon for Era Helicopters in Denail but with only 1 full day there, don't see how. That way I can get it all in one!

This has all been very helpful. One last question, if you do one glacier landing is there any reason to do another one? Is one different from the others? I am leaning towards the glacier landing on Talkeetna but thinking about one of the flight seeing tours our of Juneau. Was considering the Harv And Marv cruise but their sight said if did the Kenai Fjords cruise, you won't see anything more on theirs.

UPDATE-Called Talkeetna air and they have plenty of flights available BUT if you are using a toursaver coupon they don't have any more availability for the next couple of week. Also I found our the difference in Talkeetna flight (air plane) VS. Era Helicopters is that Helicopters cannot land in Denali.

update # 2, Temsco has availabilty for June 30 but not for toursavers. Alot of good toursavers has done. The flight seeing was one of the main reasons I bought it but can't use them. And this one is 3 weeks ahead of time. Can't do ERA in Denali because they only offer it two times of which I won't be there for either. Very disappointing.

For others, verify and BOOK your tours, before you purchase Toursaver. They have limits on coupon acceptance that people are not considering.

As for your glacier questions- it's a BIG difference landing with a ski plane and helicopter. Ski planes are all snow, where the helicopters will get you ice access.

It makes no difference WHAT glacier, they are all in a state of change. Book where they have space to make the best use of your time.

Are you on a bus tour into Denali Park?? Flights run all day, and it's possible a flight could be added.

There was no indication of a difference for the snow vs ice but that just means they probably didn't mention it. They both said they land on glaciers so I assumed that meant ice. No, I have not booked a tour yet for Denali though I plan on it. I am thinking of doing the Tundra Wildness Tour. Any suggestions in that area?

There was no indication of a difference for the snow vs ice but that just means they probably didn't mention it. They both said they land on glaciers so I assumed that meant ice. No, I have not booked a tour yet for Denali though I plan on it. I am thinking of doing the Tundra Wildness Tour. Any suggestions in that area?

We are going to Denali on our own and decided to book the Eielson Visitor's Center shuttle, instead of our tour bus. It goes much further into the park, which means more chances to see wildlife, and it's less expensive.

We have decided to do a air tour. I have read posts after posts and still not sure which place would be the best for the air tour. If you had to choose just one, I would love to hear what you would decide. Helicopter flight and glacier landing? And if so, WHICH glacier? Mendenhall? Misty Fjord? Gustavus/Glacier Bay? Or flightseeing at Talkeetna? Or Denali helicopter and glacier landing with Era Helicopters or Flightseeing and glacier landing with Talkeetna Air? What is the difference between the Denali tours with Era Heicopters and Talkeetna Air? Any input would great!!

loanin, I did 3 flightseeing trips in Alaska, here are my thoughts.

Talkeetna - We went with K2 on their "Grand Denali" with a glacier landing. It was a clear day with spectacular views. We landed on skis in the snow and spent 20 minutes there before returning. So quiet, peaceful, and serene. We even saw/heard some small avalanches in the distance.

Juneau - We took a helicoper flight with Northstar Trekking and did their 3-hour X-trek on the glacier. This was an early morning excursion, and the first sight of the Juneau icefield was one of the most spectacular things I have seen - ice/snow about as far as the eye can see. And the experience of traversing a glacier in crampons, and climbing a vertical ice face made this an amazing day. I think this was the best excursion I booked in Alaska, hands down.

Ketchikan - we took a Misty Fjords floatplane with Family Air that included a landing on one of the lakes in the fjords. The misty fjords are beautiful, but compared to Denali and the Juneau icefield, it just didn't resonate the same way with me. I'm sure if I had done this flight first, I would have been more in awe.

We also came *this* close to another flight (glacier dog sledding in Skagway), but reason and a thinning pocketbook talked some sense into us. :D

Think about the differences in aircraft. A ski plane is not going to land on ice. This information to you, is from multiple first hand experences and is accurate.

I suggest you might want to find out the differences in access into Denali Park. There are tour buses and shuttle buses. Shuttle buses are 1/3 the cost of the TWT. My min. distance for me, is Eielson. The bus I happened to be on a couple weeks ago, was in the new seats which were bucket. So the "plus" about the seats looks to be about even comparing the tour buses. If you need the tv screen for viewing, then go with the tour buses. Me, I have no problem with my binoculars.

loanin, I did 3 flightseeing trips in Alaska, here are my thoughts.

Talkeetna - We went with K2 on their "Grand Denali" with a glacier landing. It was a clear day with spectacular views. We landed on skis in the snow and spent 20 minutes there before returning. So quiet, peaceful, and serene. We even saw/heard some small avalanches in the distance.

Juneau - We took a helicoper flight with Northstar Trekking and did their 3-hour X-trek on the glacier. This was an early morning excursion, and the first sight of the Juneau icefield was one of the most spectacular things I have seen - ice/snow about as far as the eye can see. And the experience of traversing a glacier in crampons, and climbing a vertical ice face made this an amazing day. I think this was the best excursion I booked in Alaska, hands down.

Ketchikan - we took a Misty Fjords floatplane with Family Air that included a landing on one of the lakes in the fjords. The misty fjords are beautiful, but compared to Denali and the Juneau icefield, it just didn't resonate the same way with me. I'm sure if I had done this flight first, I would have been more in awe.

We also came *this* close to another flight (glacier dog sledding in Skagway), but reason and a thinning pocketbook talked some sense into us. :D

Thank you..good insight. I appreciate that.

Think about the differences in aircraft. A ski plane is not going to land on ice. This information to you, is from multiple first hand experences and is accurate.

I suggest you might want to find out the differences in access into Denali Park. There are tour buses and shuttle buses. Shuttle buses are 1/3 the cost of the TWT. My min. distance for me, is Eielson. The bus I happened to be on a couple weeks ago, was in the new seats which were bucket. So the "plus" about the seats looks to be about even comparing the tour buses. If you need the tv screen for viewing, then go with the tour buses. Me, I have no problem with my binoculars.

I have no problem with binoculars either so it sounds like the shuttle bus would be my best choice as well. I was already leaning in that direction because the cost difference was great but the difference minimal. The only thing I questioned mostly is the viewing of Mt. McKinley.

I have no problem with binoculars either so it sounds like the shuttle bus would be my best choice as well. I was already leaning in that direction because the cost difference was great but the difference minimal. The only thing I questioned mostly is the viewing of Mt. McKinley.

If McKinley is the priority, then you need to be willing to park yourself within viewing range for a week. It isn't Denali Park, UNLESS you are in it. There is no viewing until you are near the end of the public road- about 16 miles, and that is a very limited partial view. Full views are way in the park. Other hot viewing area is Talkeetna, and mile 133 area on the Parks Highway.

No, Mt McKinley is not a priority. It was just the only other thing I saw listed on the tour differences that the TWT tour offered IF visible which I know is not often. So it appears the Denali Park Shuttle Service is the way to go, for me anyway

We are going to Denali on our own and decided to book the Eielson Visitor's Center shuttle, instead of our tour bus. It goes much further into the park, which means more chances to see wildlife, and it's less expensive.

Rebecca, are you taking the one that leaves the Wilderness Access Center? Is so, how far is that from the Princess Lodge?

Archived