Internet questions - for Coral Princess Alaska Northbound

Fat Bottom Gurl

Does the ship provide computers for internet connection - or does one have to bring their own laptop? And if one has to bring their own laptops - is the connection to the internet good and fast?

thanks,

Fat Bottom Gurl

There is an internet cafe...they had about 10 computers from what I recall. They have packages where you can pre-purchase the minutes.

Yukon is spot on!

Think something right like it was when AOL was big. THere is wireless available on most ships, but you are going to find the internet bandwidth both slow and with long latency. You'll find your 2G faster in port than what you'll get at sea. Its only for those desperate to send/recieve email or with a lot of time on their hands and $ to burn on slow surfing IMHO.

Get out and enjoy the scenery and leave the internet to when you get home ;)

Does the ship provide computers for internet connection - or does one have to bring their own laptop? And if one has to bring their own laptops - is the connection to the internet good and fast?

thanks,

Fat Bottom Gurl

• 2 weeks later...

Had to check e-mail twice a day while on the Coral due to daughter having issues with an apartment, us having issues with a mortgage application, and mom with tenuous health. I have Eudora on my laptop, so twice a day I downloaded all the mail (usually took 2 minutes), then disconnected and read and responded offline. Outgoing mail uploaded the next time I connected. The connection speed was not bad most of the time, but one night it was so slow just to connect that i aborted the connection because I knew it would take about ten minutes to download the mail. Per-minute cost was about 75 cents a minute. You can get it down to about 55 cents a minute if you buy 100 at a time, and they usually have internet specials the last few days of the cruise where it's cheaper. I think I spent a total of about 21 bucks on internet in a week, just to read mail twice a day.

Archived