English not the primary language on Mariner Repo??

Just looking at options for the first leg of Mariner's repo (LA to Valparaiso) and received the following warning.....

"Please Note: This product has been sold almost exclusively to guests from Latin America; therefore services and products have been added to meet their cultural preferences in food and beverage and entertainment. While English language assistance will be provided, the local language will be the primary language spoken onboard. Please check with your local consulate or embassy regarding visa requirements."

... somewhat off putting and surprising given that this is a one off repo voyage and not a season in South America. Anyone come across this before?? We did the first leg of the original Mariner repo and it was only just over half full and although it had a strong 'latin' flavour the local language was not the primary language spoken onboard!!! You would expect food, beverage and entertainment to cater for larger Latin American passenger numbers, but language ... hope the crew are practicing their Spanish!!! What's going on RCI???

Ken

We did the Enchantment repo from Panama to Fort Lauderdale. Most of the people on the ship were Latino and 90% of the clubs and bars played salsa and merange music. Messages were given in English and Spanish. We had to try and remember that we were leaving from a port where the ship had done round trips from Colon Panama, so most of the people were Latino. This didnt bother me in the least as I like to open up and try to learn, eat, taste different culters.

Nothing wrong with RCI targeting specific segments of the cruising public.

They did not have to disclose anything of the kind, but they did. So, make your choice - go or not. I think it would a lot of fun.

I agree - I personally think that would be a blast! Better they advertise this fact up-front than waiting until you're onboard.

We are booked on both segments, they are just trying a different tactic to fill the ship, I am not sure it is going to be any more succesful than the previous repo. The flights from Chile or Sao Palo will be expencive for those folks too, the second segment may be the best and cheapest for the Brazilians as the flight to Chile may not be that bad in cost.

We will see I guess, I notice the prices havn't changed much other that the first segment someone seems to have all the suites tied up.

Brian J

hope the crew are practicing their Spanish!!! What's going on RCI???

Our last cruise on RCCL was basically the first half of the repo Venice-Lisbon-Santos. They were bringing more and more Brazilian staff on during our Med cruise. Our Brazilian drinks waiter told us that during the season in Santos, more than 90% of the passengers were locals, and a lot of them were getting on in Lisbon already. I have later read reviews of this particular Lisbon-Santos repo where people were complaining about the amount of Portugese-Brazilian being spoken. I think they want to avoid trouble with non-Spanish/Portugese speakers by warning ahead of time. A very worthy thing to do, as you could imagine the cruiselines' first and foremost job is to fill the ship.

Brian: I think it is a misconception that South-Americans are poor. Yes, there is a substantial lower class, remember that we see more slums than villas on TV because that is more newsworthy, but there are a lot of middle- or upper class people there too. We were on our RCCL cruise from Miami with a lot of South-Americans: they were definitely all into Armani, Gucci, Valentino, Hugo Boss, etc on formal night. I have never seen so many designer dresses and bling-bling in my life!

Nothing wrong with RCI targeting specific segments of the cruising public.

They did not have to disclose anything of the kind, but they did. So, make your choice - go or not. I think it would a lot of fun.

Agree absolutely, nothing wrong with targeting specific markets - RCI do enough of that in the UK!!! .... And we're used to food, beverage and entertainment being geared for different tastes (we've done a Mariner repo, Navigator out of Spain and Jewel out of Sweden in the past few years - all with foreign pax majorities ... and loved them) but have never seen such a warning about a 'local language' before.

Surely Mariner will have the same crew onboard as are currently sailing out of LA - they're relocating the ship around the Horn not putting her in South America for a season - maybe they ought to be warning their South American guests about English being the primary language spoken onboard or perhaps they are and the 'local language' referred to is English??? Altogether very confusing.

Just looking for some insight from this board, especially from those currently sailing Mariner out of LA - not expecting ( nor wanting ;) ) an all American cruise!!!

Ken

Thanks for the post, that should be one fun cruise! I'm checking to see if I can find a good rate on it, and if DH would be willing to get about 3 weeks off work.

I do agree about the language though, I think English should still be the main language, as the most universal one.

It is not an off repo though, the Mariner will do South America and Brazil for about 2 months, then go off to Europe.

I was not indicating that the Brazilians were poor at all, I just ment it would be cheaper for them to fly from Sao Palo to Chile and do the second leg of the cruise. The flight is expencive for us from Canada, even when they have sales on they want you to fly both ways.

We sailed on the Legend when it came from Barcelona to Santo Domingo and they had a lot of spanish people on board also a lot of Germans too. They did the anouncements in three languages. That is what is so great about cruising is that you get to meet so many people and from so many cultures. We have made friends all over the world, and if we had not traveled this way we may have never met.

Have a great day

Brian J

The dining hours could change though, they usually have early dining at a later time and then later again for the late seating. We noticed this on a Barcelona departure. Many arrived after their early dining times, so it was more flexible than we had seen before.

The WJ was crowded at different times too, as the majority of passengers slept in later I suppose.

We were on the Splendour from Santos to Valparaiso two years ago. Over half the ship was from South America. All announcements were in 3 languages, English, Spanish and Portuguese. That included all the shows as well. We found that once the English portion was over, all the English speaking guests started talking among themselves making it hard for the other guests to hear. I thought that was a little rude. It did make every public announcement very long.

Dining was VERY late. Early seating at 8:15 pm, and late seating was at 11:00 pm but they moved it to 10:30 pm. The menus were more South American, and they were good for the most part.

Be aware of cultural differences, especially in crowds, (like the elevators, going to shows, going in the WJ and MDR), and getting on and off the ship. Standing in line patiently is a different priority there. The shows were very latin american and fantastic. Bands and music were wonderful.

That being said, we had a fantastic time. It was one of the best cruises we have been on and we met some wonderful people from all over the world. There were quite a few guests who spoke no English at all, and we found we were able to find ways to share and communicate about our homes and families. Part of the value of the travel experience is broadening horizons and experiencing new things. I'd do another S.A. cruise in a heartbeat. I'd like to lower the per trip cost of the very expensive Brazilian visa we had to get. It is good for 5 years, so we have 3 years to go again.

I don't think it is any different than us having nothing but Country and western music to listen to on Carnival Conquest last month, sailing out of Galveston.

99% of the guests were Texans.

BTW, those were the BEST grits I have ever had on a cruise ship!:D

RC ships are noticeable American, some times tooo American, and Most Americans think we and our culture are the best and only good culture on the planet. We love the idea of immersing our self's in a new culture, kinda neat to have the immersion into another culture in a friendly travelers format of a cruise. ON the Freedom class ships, we always find our self's in the Boleros lounge, with all the Latin people having fun and they know how to have fun at any age.

I don't think it is any different than us having nothing but Country and western music to listen to on Carnival Conquest last month, sailing out of Galveston, 99% of the guests were Texans.
You couldn't have been in better company!!:)

Although, we dance Ballroom not C&W, but have been known to cope at some socials.

BTW, those were the BEST grits I have ever had on a cruise ship!:D
Grits are Southern not Southwestern, so you don't find them in Texas often, and never at my place.:eek:

I do agree about the language though, I think English should still be the main language, as the most universal one.

We have the same concerns about Texas!!:D

It is my understanding that the Galveston ships are full of Mexican Nationals for the Easter cruises if you would enjoy a little more cultural exchange.

But, as a UTEP grad, I'm illiterate in two langanges so what you've been discussing wouldn't be a problem.

Ha ha I saw plenty of Texans grabbin up those delicious grits though!:D

we loved the wonderful hospitality of Texas!

Everywhere we went people were kind and courteous, a trait that is hard to find here in Ca. Sorry fellow west coasters, but it's true.

Miller's Seafood grill in Galveston was just awesome!

Have spoken to RCI and they confirmed what everyone is saying (and what I assumed before reading the 'language warning') ... that all announcements etc will be in Spanish as well as English and any other minority languages.

If the cruise is anything similar to the first Mariner repo then announcements will be made in about 7 languages and the South American guests will have their own Dining floor. Music and eye candy around the pool will also be enhanced!!!!! :D

Anyway, we're all booked now even if I had to struggle with RCI UK to get the correct Diamond balcony discount - they wanted me to have the equivalent of $200!!! Had to explain the new deal to them but got there in the end!!!

Cheers

Ken

Ha ha I saw plenty of Texans grabbin up those delicious grits though!:D
I just don't like homeny, Mexico and New Mexico make Menudo and Posole out of it, Menudo is their sure cure for a hangover, hope you like tripe.
we loved the wonderful hospitality of Texas!

Everywhere we went people were kind and courteous, a trait that is hard to find here in Ca. Sorry fellow west coasters, but it's true.

I've noted that everywhere in Texas people are totally open and hospitible to strangers, but, we can be some terrible enemies if we think you don't respect us.:)

But, Galveston is exceptional, I was prez of the Attractions Assoc here and Chair of the Chamber of Commerce and have lived in 18 Texas cities and towns, so I know Texas about as well as anyone can. Not bad for being born in So Cal.:D

Miller's Seafood grill in Galveston was just awesome!

Known for a chicken fried steak with cream gravy that covers your plate and should have a Surgeon Generals warning on it.

Just looking at options for the first leg of Mariner's repo (LA to Valparaiso) and received the following warning.....

... somewhat off putting and surprising given that this is a one off repo voyage and not a season in South America. Anyone come across this before?? We did the first leg of the original Mariner repo and it was only just over half full and although it had a strong 'latin' flavour the local language was not the primary language spoken onboard!!! You would expect food, beverage and entertainment to cater for larger Latin American passenger numbers, but language ... hope the crew are practicing their Spanish!!! What's going on RCI???

Ken

You really shouldn't see it as off-putting. You will still have everything available to you in English but they will also be accommodating the other passengers for whom English isn't their first language.

My husband speaks no Spanish and when I mentioned the immersion cruise (and what it meant) he thought it sounded like fun! I think it is a wonderful way to learn a little more about the local culture of where you are cruising, since you will hear the language, experience the entertainment, and get to try some locally-inspired dishes.

Enjoy!

Archived