Hostal Neutral

lauraapp

Does anyone know of this hotel? We are coming in on a cruise ship and will be staying 3 nites...Would like something inexpensive but close to the rambla, would be traveling with my husband and my 85 year old mother will also be with us...Any suggestions?

Tripadvisor has some reviews on it: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d239098-Reviews-Hostal_Residencia_Neutral-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

We stayed at the Continental Palacete which is just a block away (one block closer to Placa Catalunya at the top of Las Ramblas). We liked the location, but we would choose a different hotel for a return trip. However, many people here like the hotel and the prices are quite good.

Here's a link to a thread with some info and photos on the Palacete and it's sister hotel (the Continental). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1121538&highlight=palacete

Thank you I know of the Hotel Continental....The hotel is 100 euro....the Neutral is only 75 euro...I was wondering if there is much difference in hopes to save 25 euro a night. We are needing 3 rooms.

It's not a name I've heard here before, but using "Search this Forum" came up with this post from someone who enjoyed it (and mentioned that it's a Rick Steves' recommendation): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20909428&highlight=neutral#post20909428

A search on the Tripadvisor forum brought up a thread (from about the same time period) from someone who didn't like it: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k2331475-l14491011-Hostal_Neutral_or_Aparthotel_Atenea-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#14491011

Perhaps it depends on which room(s) you get as it does have mixed reviews in the link in my post above.

p.s. sorry, the Tripadvisor post was from someone who posted in 2008, but said she stayed there a few years earlier. Perhaps it had been renovated following her stay.

please note that there are 3 classes of accomodation that you might see in Barcelona-

Hostel- basic dorm style, often shared bath, sheets and lockers available for rent- think economizing backpacker students

Hostal- note the A- budget style accomodation, often very basic, and the good ones are clean and charming and have character and are well known and loved my their patrons, but possibly can be a bit seedy if you aren't careful

Hotel- with a * rating system that is not quite the same as the US, but if you are looking at 1 or 2 star places, that would possibly be more comparable to the Hostal type lodgings.

For lower star hotels and any hostal- check on the stairs/elevator thing. If no elevator, what floor would your room be on and is that OK for your mom (or even you- I personally am never fond of slogging up 5 flights of stairs on a good day).

General consensus over on Trip Advisor (and I agree) is to be closer to L'Eixample neighborhood or at least to Placa Catalunya rather than right on Las Ramblas. It's prettier up there and less seedy than Las Ramblas. So Hostal Neutral is in a perfect location. Rambla de Catalunya is much quieter than Passeig de Gracia, and both are charming streets. Rambla de Catalunya is NOT part of Las Ramblas. The well- known Las Ramblas starts at the SW corner of Placa de Catalunya and runs down to the Columbus monument.

Note that the Passeig de Gracia metro station is pretty huge, and there is an entrance at Carrer de Arago at Passeig de Gracia, and you are close enough to El Corte Ingles for some market & department store shopping. If you do choose this location, you are quite close to Casa Batllo' and Fundacio Antoni Tapies (interesting modern Catalan artist)

Thank you ottocal for your information...I didn't know there was a difference between hostel and hostal, that's great to know. The price seems right and there have been some pretty good reviews from Tripadvisor.

Archived