PV Zoo

Roo B

When I was at an AI in Puerto Vallerta a couple of year we went to the zoo in Mismaloya. It was great, got to feed the animals and even play with a baby jaguar and lion.

My husband and I enjoyed it so much we were thinking of going when we were on our cruise in December.

I haven't seen anyone mention it here. Is there a problem getting there and back from the ship in time? Or is it that no one knows about it? It doesn't appear that there are any tours that include it, so we would have to do it on our own. Any advice if we do?:confused:

When I was at an AI in Puerto Vallerta a couple of year we went to the zoo in Mismaloya. It was great, got to feed the animals and even play with a baby jaguar and lion.

My husband and I enjoyed it so much we were thinking of going when we were on our cruise in December.

I haven't seen anyone mention it here. Is there a problem getting there and back from the ship in time? Or is it that no one knows about it? It doesn't appear that there are any tours that include it, so we would have to do it on our own. Any advice if we do?:confused:

People don't go to Mexico to visit a zoo. Not sure what ship you are on but I don't see why you can't go to the zoo while in Vallarta. It's located near the el Eden excursion area and cruisers go there all the time.

Taxi fare might be a little steep (12-15 USD each way). Here is a link with information on the zoo and directions to get there - http://www.vallartaonline.com/information/SpotLight/ATriptothePuertoVallartaZoo/

Enjoy!

For years we took the kids to PV and usually stayed at the resort at Mismaloya, until they opened it up to be all inclusive. I never knew there was a zoo in the area, maybe too many cervezas or too much snoozing in the beach.:confused:

For years we took the kids to PV and usually stayed at the resort at Mismaloya, until they opened it up to be all inclusive. I never knew there was a zoo in the area, maybe too many cervezas or too much snoozing in the beach.:confused:

It is just a 10 minute walk across the highway from the resort. When I was there, it was THE thing to do. Walk over and spend a couple of hours at the zoo.

They sell you a bag of food for $5 and the animals rush to you as you walk up. The giraffe took food from my hand. It was quite the experience. They have a very good breeding program and there is usually a baby lion/jaguar/tiger that you can interact with as well.

The zoo seemed kind of interesting so I looked it up on tripadvisor. Many of the reviews there suggested that the animals were not being well cared for. Many of the animals (the reviews suggest) were in distress or were ill.

No thanks - I'll pass on personally seeing animals being mistreated.

Go read a few of the reviews for yourself:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150793-d933965-Reviews-Vallarta_Zoo-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

It is just a 10 minute walk across the highway from the resort. When I was there, it was THE thing to do. Walk over and spend a couple of hours at the zoo.

They sell you a bag of food for $5 and the animals rush to you as you walk up. The giraffe took food from my hand. It was quite the experience. They have a very good breeding program and there is usually a baby lion/jaguar/tiger that you can interact with as well.

Good to know, thanks for the info.:)

jasmith - I did not see the animals mistreated. The monkies were not seperated from each other, and as to the cat being kept in a pen that was 4 by 5, I do know that the one compound was pie shaped. If you looked at if from the bottom, it did indeed look very small. Later as you walked through the zoo, you could view that area from above. It was the largest big cat area I had seen, with sun and shady areas and small stream. They could actually run. If I saw them being mistreated, I wouldn't want to go back.

We went to the PV zoo when we were staying in PV on a land trip. We did it mainly so we could play with the baby tigers/jaguars. I held a black jaguar and DH played with a baby tiger that was too big to be held. We bought the $5 food bag and fed the animals. Both were experiences you won't get at a US zoo -- in part because their standards are different. I also saw the most active male lion I've ever seen in my life there.

The cab ride will be pricey -- I think we paid $180 pesos (about $16) from our resort in the Hotel Zone and $160 back because we walked back from the zoo to the main road (a nice 10 minutes) to catch a taxi across from the Barcelo Mismaloya.

Our "round trip" was about four hours; we didn't linger at every cage but could have stayed a little longer. It's definitely possible in a port stop.

PHXscuba

• 3 weeks later...

We were there ~3 yrs ago-- don't recall ill animals-- but some of the cages were dirty & didn't seem well kept. We live in San Diego & have SD Zoo Membership-- definitely not a similar experience.

THe kids loved getting the $5 bag of food. Had to watch all of them closely though to make sure they didn't lose fingers. Would likely all be prohibited in US zoos. Walking around the zoo had to be careful w/ the kids too as there were paths that were elevated and the cliff side of the path only had poles every 10ft or so & one horizontal pole-- had to keep telling the 4yr old to walk on the other side of the path. We had fun though ( we usually always do though & make the best out of as much as possible)-- we were in PV for almost 2 months so broke up the day to day routine that we spent in Nuevo Vallarta but would not personally be high on my priority list for returning. However, as long as you had reliable transportation would easily be doable in a port day

• 1 month later...

My ten year old brother and I visited the Puerto Vallarta Zoo in 2008 and had a wonderful time interacting with tiger and black panther cubs. The zoo itself was interesting and feeding the other animals was a unique experience. We took the inexpensive public buses using local currency.

A detailed review that I wrote about our experience, along with pictures and a video of my brother with the adorable cubs, is posted at mydreamcametrue.com/dreamcubs

Mr.Qt and I went to the zoo last month and here is my review complete with pictures :)

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d933965-r72626173-Vallarta_Zoo-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

Great day was had and if I were doing it as a cruise day (OMG I so would), I would get there when it opened (10AM) spend a few hours there then walk back to the highway and cross it and spend a few hours at Mismaloya :)

We enjoyed Mismaloya so much that we bussed there three times later that week...spent many hours at the very first restaurant across the bridge, Most we spent was bout 350 peso for the whole day.

The restaurant we parked ourselves at each day in Mismaloya was called Las Gaviotas and it is the first one when you cross either of the two very small bridges. Ask for Chicho he was our server and took very good care of us. We saw soooo many wristbands there from Barcelo and Chicho said they come over cause the food and drink are better ;D

When you are there ask for a bathroon pink pass....otherwise you might get charged 3 pesos.....but we never did....bathrooms are very clean but ..ummm rustic.....yes that's the word rustic....but still I saw them cleaning them right down at least three times a day.

here is an except of a review I wrote of the days in Mismaloya

We bussed out to Mismaloya and found a lovely beachfront restaurant, there we sat discussing whether to buy a day pass at Barcelo (440 pesos from 9-6) or Dreams$55 USD from 10-6).

Our server looked at us amazed and said, "stay here! we have restrooms and showers, the beach is right at your feet" Peering over my ice cold Pacifico I realized that not only was the beach there but the last wave was now gently lapping at my toes. We stayed :)

And went back for two more days. We bussed each day and parked ourself in our favourite loungers with Palapa covering, Chico was our server and we spent from 11AMish to 4ish there everyday. Most days we drank about 10 beer (16 pesos each) (me three Mr.QT 7), bottles of water (15 pesos each) somedays I forwent the second beer and had a huge Cazadore marg or a real Pina Colada (55 PESOS) made with pineapple juice, rum and coconut cream, none of the pre made stuff found at resorts. We ordered whole Red Snappers (95 pesos) that came with limes, beans, rice, lettuce,cheese, fresh tortillas and made our own tacos, Guac cost 55 pesos more and it was so good and fresh.

True we were in Mismaloya BUT you could find a nice beachfront restaurant anywhere and have the same experience. Our condo had a pool so we were just looking for the sand in our toes experience.

Sorry for the long post but after cruising the Riv a few times.....this would be a cruise day in heaven for me.

As Mr.Qt (a foodie and wonderful cook) bought two GREAT wooden spoons (the scoops are a certain depth and size he was searching for, they are good but *I* not being a chef don't understand the excitement he has had with them):D for 100 pesos at Mismaloya sitting on his beach chair....apperently he has been searching food stores far and wide in Canada and the States for such spoons and found them for 1/4 0f the cost he would have spent for them elsewhere.

Mr.Qt and I went to the zoo last month and here is my review complete with pictures :)

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d933965-r72626173-Vallarta_Zoo-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

Great day was had and if I were doing it as a cruise day (OMG I so would), I would get there when it opened (10AM) spend a few hours there then walk back to the highway and cross it and spend a few hours at Mismaloya :)

We enjoyed Mismaloya so much that we bussed there three times later that week...spent many hours at the very first restaurant across the bridge, Most we spent was bout 350 peso for the whole day.

The restaurant we parked ourselves at each day in Mismaloya was called Las Gaviotas and it is the first one when you cross either of the two very small bridges. Ask for Chicho he was our server and took very good care of us. We saw soooo many wristbands there from Barcelo and Chicho said they come over cause the food and drink are better ;D

When you are there ask for a bathroon pink pass....otherwise you might get charged 3 pesos.....but we never did....bathrooms are very clean but ..ummm rustic.....yes that's the word rustic....but still I saw them cleaning them right down at least three times a day.

here is an except of a review I wrote of the days in Mismaloya

We bussed out to Mismaloya and found a lovely beachfront restaurant, there we sat discussing whether to buy a day pass at Barcelo (440 pesos from 9-6) or Dreams$55 USD from 10-6).

Our server looked at us amazed and said, "stay here! we have restrooms and showers, the beach is right at your feet" Peering over my ice cold Pacifico I realized that not only was the beach there but the last wave was now gently lapping at my toes. We stayed :)

And went back for two more days. We bussed each day and parked ourself in our favourite loungers with Palapa covering, Chico was our server and we spent from 11AMish to 4ish there everyday. Most days we drank about 10 beer (16 pesos each) (me three Mr.QT 7), bottles of water (15 pesos each) somedays I forwent the second beer and had a huge Cazadore marg or a real Pina Colada (55 PESOS) made with pineapple juice, rum and coconut cream, none of the pre made stuff found at resorts. We ordered whole Red Snappers (95 pesos) that came with limes, beans, rice, lettuce,cheese, fresh tortillas and made our own tacos, Guac cost 55 pesos more and it was so good and fresh.

True we were in Mismaloya BUT you could find a nice beachfront restaurant anywhere and have the same experience. Our condo had a pool so we were just looking for the sand in our toes experience.

Sorry for the long post but after cruising the Riv a few times.....this would be a cruise day in heaven for me.

As Mr.Qt (a foodie and wonderful cook) bought two GREAT wooden spoons (the scoops are a certain depth and size he was searching for, they are good but *I* not being a chef don't understand the excitement he has had with them):D for 100 pesos at Mismaloya sitting on his beach chair....apperently he has been searching food stores far and wide in Canada and the States for such spoons and found them for 1/4 0f the cost he would have spent for them elsewhere.

Thank you for this awesome review. I am thinking of doing this with our kids on our cruise port day (Zoo/restaurant). Is the restaurant/beach front kid friendly? Do you have pictures of it by chance?

Thank you!

Archived